Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Mazda 6 – any thoughts?
  • cjr61

Looking to trade in the old focus and get a nicer car. Like the look of the 6. Needs top be fuel efficient for plenty of commuting but also well specced. 6 seems to tick the boxes. Aiming for a 2011-12 probably due to budget. Any recommendations or best specced models? Assuming diesel over petrol?

Rock on and happy trails!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Look nice to me, especially the estates. I think they’re based on a Mondeo, so should drive well and be cheap to run and reliable.

dazz
    Free Member

Sorry no experience of the 2011 models, but I had a 2.2 diesel as a hire car a while back & loved it, so much so I ordered a new one a few weeks ago. Great cars.

cjr61

Sounds promising then!

angeldust
    Free Member

Good car. Nice to drive and very practical. I had a 2.5L petrol Sport Estate a few years ago from new (2010 I think) for about 2 years. Sport model didn’t have any options as it came with everything as standard pretty much. Completely reliable. Only criticism I could have is that it wasn’t all that refined in terms of how much noise there was in the cabin. Interior quality can’t compete with more expensive German alternatives. Also bonnet seemed to get stone chips very readily.

Squirrel

I’m on my second 6. It’s a Sport 2.5 petrol, had it from new (2008). Done 160000 miles now. Absolutely love it. Not the most economical though. It’ll take a 29er in the boot with the wheels off!

cjr61

Awesome. Squirrel…is that an estate or saloon for the 29er fit?

Squirrel

Cjr61 it’s a hatchback, not the estate.

cjr61

Even better!

bradley
    Free Member

I second Squirrel. Good comfy cars. Huge boot space in the hatchback. Plenty of poke if that so bothers you (2008 2.2diesel 150bhp sport). Managed 55mpg quite easily.

mikertroid
    Free Member

What is the performace like of the 2.5 petrol?

mafiafish
    Free Member

I had the older 57 model and a newer 59 estate and loved both. Great handling and typically have more power than the mondeo equivalent. Definitely the driver’s choice of the Insignia/Mondeo/Passat level of cars.

DPFs can be a problem so change your oil regularly as this can contribute.

Squirrel

Mickertroid I’m no racer but it seems pretty quick to me 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

MY brother used to work for a Mazda dealer. He always said they were good cars. Still does, even though he works for Toyota now 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I didn’t like it- too much road noise and whistling wing mirrors.

cjr61

Think i’m sold on the hatchback diesel then. What about mileage? Any big milestones (service/replacement cost wise) I need to check for?

Thanks all

mikertroid
    Free Member

Sounds intriguing! A friend has a diesel and whilst its a nice car, I’m probably driving my last diesel motor now. Modern diesels are too much of a liability bought second hand for my liking.

The figures look good perf-wise for the 2.5; I guess in-gear acceleration is pretty reasonable.

wiredog
    Free Member

Drove an 08 diesel sport hatchback for four years, nice driving car especially on the motorway, very good on rear storage especially with the back seats down. Only downside i had was tyre wear.

MrOvershoot

Still driving a 56 plate Mazda 6 2.0D TS2 spec estate & it’s still a pleasure to drive and everything still works.
    I have not exactly treated it well either, overloaded it with concrete posts to the tip, speed bumps “what speed bumps” usually drive it like my hair is on fire, washed about every 6 months.
    Yes the wind noise is slightly higher than an Audi/BMW but it won’t make you fall asleep like a Passat. Its like a slightly smaller Mondeo estate IMO.

I have had mine chipped so its 190bhp & 440Nm so I’m never going to get super economy given my driving, but it will do 50mpg on a fast motorway run.

Would I buy another one…YES

Squirrel

The Bridgestone tyres get noisy as they wear

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Diesel not good…………
    Honest John

I’ve had 2 litre petrol 6’s every few years since 2003 and they’ve all been great cars. The last 2 were estates, currently a 63 plate averaging 52 mpg.
    You should get 40 to 45 mpg from the previous Mondeo floorpan based petrol version. Latest cars are pure Mazda though with very economical engines.

angeldust
    Free Member

What is the performance like of the 2.5 petrol?

It’s a nice sounding, smooth engine, but performance is nothing special. I think it is 160bhp, so more than adequate (and plenty in reserve) for normal driving, but you won’t win any races. I got 35mpg on average. My annual mileage is low, so that wasn’t a problem. I actually choose the Sport for the spec, not the engine (you couldn’t get the Sport with the 2L at the time(.

Another thing that could be better was the gearing. Cruising in top gear (6th)at 70mph was at about ~3000 revs iirc, and thus noisy. My current car (8 speed dsg, so admittedly not directly comparable) cruises at under 2000revs at 70mph and is much, much quieter.

twonks

I’ve had two as company cars and put over 80k on each from new.

First was 5 speed first generation 2.0 136hp ts diesel. Lovely to drive, held road well and very communicative steering.

Last was a 2010 facelift (black centre consul) 2.2 163hp ts2 diesel. Better refined, fair bit faster, lots of torque and generally a nice place to be.

Neither put a foot wrong bar a recall on each fixed free, although the interior is a bit plasticky and uninspiring.

Great to drive though.

However, I had a petrol Octavia vrs between the two and would take that over any 6 short of the MPS.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had a 2010 2.2 d sport model for just under two years now. It out drives and out specs all the competition. Great for camping/biking/hauling the works. Plenty quick off the mark. Real world figures 45/50 mpg tops on a run with an average of 40 mpg everyday.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Had two – the 186 and 168 diesel estates (give or take the odd bhp)

Hammered the **** out of them / did big mileages and they were great cars.

Re the Ford comment – not sure about the chassis but the engines were def by Mazda

renton
    Free Member

The 2.2 180 bhp would destroy the 2.5 petrol engine in every area.

The later 2.2 diesel engines are more reliable than previous generations with regards to dpf filters.

The paint is crap on them. Avoid the black and stormy blue metallic.

I had a 60 plate 2.2 sport estate and loved it but wish I had bought a white one a d I would probably still have it now.

chickenman

Had a TS2 diesel estate for 2 years now. After 3 Passats the most noticeable difference is in the drive; VAG really don’t do dynamic chassis design, the 6 is fantastic to drive on windey B roads.
    Boot is massive. You have to keep an eye on the oil level in winter due to the default (do an extra oil change in winter), it has a massive wheel base so awkward to park and the laddie at Mandarin who’s job it is to get the Sushi in at lunch appears to have designed how the driver seat fixes to the runners.

Kryton57

Arse this is reading better than an Alfa thread might. A bit dull though Mazdas. I’m thinking Top Shop shades for these.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Kryton I went from a fully loaded impreza to my mazda. I cried and died a little inside. But it really does drive well and is bloody annoyingly good so I can’t help but like it. Only thing I would say is odd wheel size makes tyres about 25% more expensive for a mere 40 against a 45 profile on the 18″ wheels.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’m also looking at a 2005/6 ish Mazda 6 estate diesel version. Is there anything to look out for?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

The paint is crap on them. Avoid the black and stormy blue metallic.

Interesting, my Dad’s a 3 Mazda 6’s in a row, he was talking if replacing his current one next year… With a Mazda 6. He’s like that previously having 2 sierras and then getting in a tizzy when they stopped making them and buying 3 Mondeos in a row. The Mazdas have been faultless apart from the first one (04 plate) that rusted on the sills despite being garaged and was in what I think was storm blue, it was certainly a moody blue colour. The second was an MPS which was a nice stealthy car. Currently he has an 2011 which hasn’t wanted or needed anything. I would pick one over a mondeo/passat given there are few horror stories about them and owners seem generally pleased. They aren’t as sales rep as a Mondeo or as IT bore as a Passat.

cjr61

Great communal knowledge as always. Heading to local Mazda dealer this afternoon to go and have a nosey.

Thanks again.

angeldust
    Free Member

The 2.2 180 bhp would destroy the 2.5 petrol engine in every area

There are lots of reasons why someone wouldn’t want a diesel though. The 2.5L only makes sense if you are doing limited mileage.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I guess the 2.2 diesel is the same as i’ve got in my SMax, but is the 2.5ltr petrol engine the same 5cyl Volvo unit that was in the older Focus ST’s? If so they fitted those to the mk1 SMax and they go like stink, much quicker than my 2.2 diesel in 170 bhp form (which is pretty quick for the record but a very narrow power band). The downside being you’re lucky to eek 25 mpg from it. Around 18 mpg is normal for normal driving. A nice engine though so the one to go for if you are a low mileage driver.

renton
    Free Member

Different engines altogether wobliscott.

The ford 2.2 is Peugeot shared engine.

The 2.5 is Mazda own non turbo.

cjr61

Excuse my ignorance but what are the limitations regards running diesel? Someone mentioned filters in the winter? For someone with limited engine know-how 😳 what does that all mean in terms of cost and running?

thanks

renton
    Free Member

It all boils down to how many miles and what type of driving you will be doing.

Modern diesels fitted with dpf don’t really like doing a lot of short trips,town driving and not many miles per year.

They need a good run at least once a month so the car can carry out a dpf regeneration to clear out any particles collected. Failure to carry this out can lead to blocked dpf and expensive bills.

dazz
    Free Member

renton – Member

The paint is crap on them. Avoid the black.

Bugger, guess which colour I ordered 🙁

cjr61

OK cool. Think 25k miles a year should take care of the DPF then.

Thanks

joepose
    Free Member

Had the 2.2 180bhp sport 2010 from new for 3 years and enjoyed it, high spec car for the cash. Not as quick as id hoped though and only got an average of 37mpg but that’s good the way I drive!
    The new ones have been re styled and look awesome.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Mazda 6 – any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.