Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Maxxis car tyres, any good?
  • iDave
    Free Member

seem to be budget level, do they work for normal driving around on roads and that?

Xylene
    Free Member

Yes

Iuse them. I like them, they work.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Exact same thread about two days ago.

I’d look at Kumho and Falken before Maxxis for cheapish tyres. Maxxis are a bit pants.

falkirk-mark

What tyres for doing 55 in the middle lane?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d completely disagree with Mat, Falken are pants, Kunho KU-31s are decent but I’d say the Maxxis MAV-1s are superior in every respect bar wear rate, which I don’t give a toss about but each to their own and all that.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If they’re anything like their motorcycle tyres I’d avoid.

glenh
    Free Member

Both sets of maxxis car tyres I’ve had (1 summer, 1 winter) have both been pretty good, and much better than cheap no-names and others I’ve had such as pirelli…

anc
    Free Member

Grips good but wear rates are poor, check out the tyre review sites lots folk only getting 7-8k out of a set.

the-muffin-man

Maxxis have been fine for me – but then I bumble along in a old diesel skoda so I’m hardly pushing the boundaries of performance!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I’d completely disagree with Mat, Falken are pants, Kunho KU-31s are decent but I’d say the Maxxis MAV-1s are superior in every respect bar wear rate, which I don’t give a toss about but each to their own and all that.

Why do so many high performance BMW/Audi/Merc drivers go for Falkens then?

Maxxis reviews are poor, Falkens aren’t bad at all. I personally don’t like them much (had them on a GTi) but for the money, they are fairly decent.

The recent thread on here about them also had a previous Maxxis owner telling us how cr4p they are.

I use Conti Sport Contact 3s all round but they aren’t actually relevant to the criteria. Great tyres though.

Xylene
    Free Member

I got more than 20k miles out of my MA-P1’s

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I think my Falkens are good actually. certainly a lot better than the Pirelli Ditch Hunters fitted before. No idea on Maxxis though I’m afraid.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I did a thread on this on Wednesdays ended up with 4 new Nexen tyres cheap as Maxxis and no different to the Dunlops I had AFAIC. I’m confident for a normal driver Maxxis would be fine. Didn’t have my size hence the Nexen.

rOcKeTdOg

are they UST?

donsimon
    Free Member

do they work for normal driving around on roads and that?

Why do so many high performance BMW/Audi/Merc drivers go for Falkens then?

Not really talking about the same thing are we?

jd-boy
    Free Member

Been working fine on the Ducato van for the last 2 plus years

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Not really talking about the same thing are we?

Well we are actually.

Whether you drive a Perodua at no more than 50mph or an M3 at silly speeds you still want the same basics from a tyre – hopefully it will last a while, won’t deafen you with road rumble, will resist aquaplaning as much as possible and stop you in an emergency as fast as possible in the dry or the wet.

donsimon
    Free Member

But the arguments are both correct. 🙄
    The Maxxis may be perfect for pootlng around at normal speeds and fit the budget criteria AND the Falkens may be perfect for hooning around in your BMW M3 Fandango. But a tyre designed for a performance car may not be a good idea for pootling and vice versa. Therefore not talking about the same thing. Geddit?

alpinto
    Free Member

well you should go an good quality tyres pair.I know you demanded them for a normal smooth riding experience but i would say take an costly one and have a longterm benefits.
    ================================================
    Sell Your Gold For Cash

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks alpinto, that’s pure gold…

What are you trying to sell?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I don’t think I could have out it in a simpler form yet you still don’t get it. I give up.

donsimon
    Free Member

Because the characteristics which are required for and seen to be advantageous on a performance car (soft grippy rubber, for instance) might not be the same advantageous characteristics required to pootle around town and be econominc (longevity). A performance tyre for a performance car which begins to show it’s strengths a 100mph+ is not going to be any use on a Nissan Micra belting down High St at 30mph.
    Maybe best to give up, eh?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Maxxis car tyres, any good?’ is closed to new replies.