Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mary Townley Loop – clockwise or anticlockwise?
  • large418
    Free Member

Going to do the MTL next Thursday as a bit of Kielder 100 training, should I do it clockwise or anticlockwise? Clockwise looks like it gets the gated section on the west side done first, but which way gets the best climbs and descents? There’s mixed reviews on the pennine bridleway website.

Thanks

mocha
    Free Member

clockwise

montylikesbeer

+1, I live on the west side of mtl, its not so bad

large418
    Free Member

cheers both, Clockwise it is then

samuri
    Free Member

+1 here too. Anti clockwise just felt so much longer and not as much fun. Make sure you do it twice for proper training.

Esme
    Free Member

The correct answer is “It depends”

For a good rider, capable of doing it in a day (like you) – clockwise.

But for a feeble old lady like me, then anti-clockwise works better. I reckon the “deciding” sections are Rooley Moor Road and Gorple Road. I walk up the steep section (bike makes a very handy off-road zimmer frame 😉 ), and then ride the long gentle descent.

Going clockwise, you’ll obviously ride the long gentle ascent, followed by the steep descent. For me, there’d be a risk of having to walk up and then walk down the other side 😳

Might the comments on the PB website be from horse-riders? I’m sure a horse would prefer anti-clockwise!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

I did it clockwise the day before the ‘Wedding’. Starting from near Cowpe. The gated bit allows you to ease into it.

I found all bar the hill out of Bottomley ridable that way round.

Any idea of a target time? I have an interest in the Kielder 100…

Cheers
    Paul

large418
    Free Member

I’m starting at Tintwhistle, so hoping to get a good 95miles in. No idea on time, as I’ve not ridden up there before. Am starting at 6.30am, and am expecting 10-13 hours total ride time – did last years Kielder in just over 10 hours, so on paper, it all sounds feasible. My bailout plan involves much coldness, so you could say I don’t have one….

chamonix666
    Free Member

anyone reading this fancy a long training ride in the north west tomorrow in prep for kielder?? i am looking for new routes so if anyone has suggestions or is riding tomorrow and wouldn’t mind me tagging along then let me know.

cheers

chamonix666
    Free Member

can anyone recommend what is best start point if coming from the manchester region and best place to park?

nerolab
    Free Member

Two of us starting in Waterfoot tomorrow and clockwise is the plan… I didn’t want to waste valuable downhill speed stopping to open gates so the plunge at the end will be something to savour. Weather looks favourable – carrying 3.5 litres of warm weather energy drink to aid rehydration, malt loaf, energy jelly beans, gels with a big bowl of porridge and maple syrup for brekkie to fill my legs up. No beer tonight, lots of fluids and a good dtsretch before we turn a wheel. Spare tubes, tools and possibly a tyre too just in case…. see ya there!

nerolab
    Free Member

Hello Chamonix – look at google maps for Cowpe road, Waterfoot – should be fine there. Its a good starting point as the route crosses the main road so no detours to hit the trail. When are you off?

chamonix666
    Free Member

thanks, i am going to ride it tomorrow.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Picnic area car park

Is a good spot to start/finish.

I would come along but am off to Dumfries and Galloway for the week :))) though weather forecast a bit pants 🙁
    Cheers
    Paul

chamonix666
    Free Member

cheers gents, looking forward to it.

ratherbeintobago

Any idea of a target time?

I believe the record is <4h30 (apparently set on a Zaskar for those who claim you need a bigger bike for the MTL) though this was on the Pendle Mountain Rescue event so the many gates were marshalled. Sub-6 seems to be practical; you go faster as a group than solo due to having to open/close the aforementioned gates.

Andy

(Should have been doing the loop tomorrow but have had to pike. Boo.)

stumpyjon

4 hours 2 mins a few years ago on dry trails (not me obviously). Personally managed in 6 hours 50 mins anticlockwise which I reckon is quicker due to the long downhills.

nerolab
    Free Member

Mindblowing times! We got lost and ended up at the far side of Hollingworth lake!! Followed the Pennine Bridleway signs as we had al day – oops! Still did 50 tough miles though! It was hot, we stopped for steak and salad at the Shepherds Rest which I really don’t think helped the following climbing towards the pike!! 10 hours all told :O(

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mary Townley Loop – clockwise or anticlockwise?’ is closed to new replies.