Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Marks/scuffs under lacquer on new carbon frame … acceptable ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Had a new carbon road bike turn up late last week,unpacked it and noticed a few tiny marks on it , but after getting it out in the sun yesterday for a ride i noticed quite a few marks on it which look like scuffs etc all under the lacquer, spoken to shop involved and they said its because its uni-directional , it will look like that ? … I think its bad frame preparation before lacquering , Peoples views ? .. accept or argue ?

plus-one

That’s natural finish I have frame that looks same 🙂

andybrad

unless its cheap id send it back

bigjim

that’s how carbon looks unless you get it with a cosmetic woven layer on top

Bregante

My carbon frame looks like that. As above the “weave” effect is purely cosmetic.

lawman91

Nothing wrong with that at all, perfectly normal for any carbon frame.

xyeti
    Free Member

Its just unpainted, its the same under the red paint but you cant see it, Its the Carbons natural finish layered up.

As suggested above if i’d spent good money on that it would have to go back, i’d be looking at it all the time. If it was cheap then i’d still look at it but it wouldnt bother me as much.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

andybrad – Member
    unless its cheap id send it back

Full price £1700, paid £1099 on sale with ultegra
    Edit: feel a bit happier now more have said its ok

woodster

Its just unpainted, its the same under the red paint but you cant see it, Its the Carbons natural finish layered up.

As suggested above if i’d spent good money on that it would have to go back, i’d be looking at it all the time. If it was cheap then i’d still look at it but it wouldnt bother me as much.

huh?

That’s how carbon looks, but if it’s expensive you’d send it back? So they could do what? Paint it?

I like natural UD finishes, they look proper with no tarty weaves on top.

xyeti
    Free Member

Yes basically, But i wouldnt have bought an unpainted one in the first place as i dont like the natural UD Finish, i prefer it painted, i thought the OP was unaware that he had bought a frame with an unpainted finish in certain areas, as i said above it’s the natural lay up, if we all liked the raw finish then none would be painted would they. That is all.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

We’ve got a 2.5K CX bike that looks like that. That’s what UD with clear lacquer looks like.

People are too used to cosmetic layers on CF, seeing it bare is sometimes a shock.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

If this is HOW it should be then ill keep quiet and ride it and say no more , I`ll just make sure the next one is fully painted or matt lacquer as it wouldnt show up then

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve seen it raw, I just prefer paint on top. but i’d rather have it like that “RAW” UD than CF, does any of this make sense?

Raw Natural or as natural as a plastic frame could be or the cheap looking alternative in the Halfords Boy racer section.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

As per previous posts, thats what UD carbon looks like. I’ve had both matt and gloss lacquer finishes look like that.

njee20
    Free Member

+another for Normal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Marks/scuffs under lacquer on new carbon frame … acceptable ?’ is closed to new replies.