Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Market saturation in Cardiff [my opinion only]
  • SaxonRider

I noticed a number of weeks ago that Evans Cycles had opened up in town, and I got to thinking:

Cardiff isn’t exactly a heaving metropolis, and we already have some very good (and in the case of my own, excellent) local bike shops. In fact, I would think there are quite a number of them for our size of town.

Is Evans trying to pull a ‘Tesco of bikes’ thing off here? I really can’t imagine that there is a lot more room in the city for bike shops.

Then, as always, maybe I’m just wrong.

rickon
    Free Member

Loads of cycling in Cardiff, commuters make up a huge amount of business – you only need to pop into one of the LBSs for half an hour and you’ll see lots of people pop in.

I think an Evans is a good idea, there are some things other shops don’t stock – and as nice as it would be, I’m not one to order something in if it’s not in stock – I’d just buy it online.

LoCo
    Free Member

TBH the local Independant shops in Cardiff are so good that I think Evans and Certini are not going to do that well, the locations aren’t that good either

franksinatra

The cycling market is growing very quickly. Some would argue that introduction of ‘high street’ cycling retailers like Evans will help to grow the market further, for everyones benefit.

All supply and demand, innit?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes lots more people riding, will probably get ‘walk in’ purchases, but will end up going to the other shops to get them fix/upgraded

rickon
    Free Member

Certini seem to be aiming at the high-end, banker market who want to buy a £5k bike off the peg – well from what bikes and kit I saw in there a few months ago when I popped in.

Bikeshed seem to go for commuters as their main market – but cater for all sorts, and being where they are passing trade for commuters is ace.

Sunset always seemed to be aimed at trail center riders.

Cyclopedia has always felt like a roadie shop.

Tredz are more a shop that goes for the family market, as well as the trail center riders.

Even though they are all going for the same market, they each have their own spin on the domain and audience they’re aiming for – which I think is great for the health of cycling – lots of different people can access cycling, depending on how they want to enter it 🙂

As long as they get LoCo to sort their suspension, the world is all fine with me 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cyclopedia has always felt like a roadie shop

interesting things, perceptions. Cyclopedia guys started and run the JIF club which is road and track based, and has the likes of Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe as alumni, but I know them personally through annual MTB trips to the alps (the last one I went on we filled 2 chalets).

Agree with others, there is a huge riding scene in and around Cardiff, and something mainstream like Evans opening during the golden year of British cycling should only serve to help further popularise the sport and possibly turn high street shoppers into cyclists (what franksinatra said in other words!).

LoCo
    Free Member

I’m saying more shops is a bad thing, more people on bikes, any bikes is a good thing 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Cardiff isn’t a town…

rickon
    Free Member

It is full of townies though. Or is that Towies…. 😉

In contrast, we have one bike shop in the city – and its about an hour’s drive to the next. Maybe I should start up a bike shop……… 💡

fandango
    Free Member

I keep forgetting about the Certini set up. When I visited it a few weeks ago, I found it rather disappointing with a poor supply of kit and accessories. I can’t see it surviving, not with Skene’s expanded shop. Evans is certainly proving to be popular and is probably more of a threat to Tredz and Halfords as they cover most of the bases. Had me too… I went for a browse and spent over £2k!

ctk
    Free Member

Muddybums in rhiwbina is in new bigger premises too so there must be money about.

ell_tell
    Free Member

There is Muddybum up in Rhiwbina too.

Used to use Bikeshed but last time the chap behind the desk seemed more intent on playing with his phone than speaking to me and told me to order elsewhere online. I guess business must be good to direct it elsewhere. I tend to use Tredz now.

Agree I thought Evans was an odd opening and a funny location, particularly if you want a quick test of a bike.

I wonder though if the C2work scheme has meant a lot more business going the way of bike shops. Not sure how much they typically make from each sale though?

I’ve certainly see an increase in commuters over the past few years living in Cardiff, which is all good in my books.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sunset expanded, a year or two ago as well, loads of stock and some spanky roadbikes too, good workshop as well. 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Market saturation in Cardiff [my opinion only]’ is closed to new replies.