Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mapping easting/northings onto a UK map
  • bruk

Looking to plot 90 locations onto a UK map. I have Eastings/Northings data.

Any ideas for someone who is not a mathematician or computing expert (but happy working with excel and basic stats programs)

Cheers for any help.

druidh
    Free Member
    bruk

That looks ideal, now for the numpty questions, how did you insert the map and need one for northwest of England.

Is it too late to admit this actually for my wife now?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’m not sure what your actually asking but if you want to convert grid positions into Lat/Long use this:-

OS grid program

or OS grid on line

You could then plot them on Google Earth.
    You can plot the grid positions with autocad and then geo reference the result, needs a bit of knowledge though.

ebygomm
    Free Member

What sort of map are you hoping to end up with, a static map that could be used in say a presentation or something more interactive?

You should be able to get something to use as background mapping through OS Opendata.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/

If it was me I’d use a GIS program to plot the locations straight from the excel spreadsheet if I was after a static map. QGIS is opensource and free.

footflaps

There are free Excel sheets online to do OS grid to lat lon conversion, have a google for them….

ebygomm
    Free Member

If you’re plotting eastings and northings on a UK map then doing the lat lon conversion seems like a waste of time to me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mapping easting/northings onto a UK map’ is closed to new replies.