• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by U31.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • magura oil in shimano brakes….?
  • alpin
    Free Member

following on from an eariler thread where i asked if i could use car/motorbike brake oil for my shimano brakes (citreon shop was closed) i'm now asking the above….

guy in the bike shop said he never uses Magura oil in Shimano brakes, although he was happy enough to sell me a bottle (6€ for what i can piss in three seconds! – although, i don't piss oil, but if i did it would have filled the bottle pretty quickly- although i'd have probably a bit of a mess as the bottle neck is quite small).

if i can use Magura oil in my Shimano brakes it'll save me from having to ride back to the bike shop and then further to the Citreon dealer in the probable rain….

can i use Magura oil in Shimano brakes?

cheers

J

Shed
    Free Member

You might be able to, as long as the Magura oil is mineral oil.

U31
    Free Member

No problem.
    A cheaper option is Citroen LHM mineral brake fluid tho.. fiver per litre rather then a fiver per 250 mil of magura blue blood or shimano

alpin
    Free Member

250ml!!!!

i just paid 6€ for 100ml of Magura….. I'll have to trot along to citreon in the rain tomorrow and see what they have….

cheers folks!

swampi
    Free Member

just pop into your local Halfords for some cheap LHM mineral brake fluid

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Halfords also sell Bikehut mineral oil in the bike bit.. Its cheap enough (compared to shimano or magura). £4 I think for 125ml

LHM is about £8 for 750ml I think.

Macavity
    Free Member

Plain LHM will do.
    It does not need to be Citroen LHM or Rolls-Royce / Bentley LHM.
    LHM is just LHM.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Any decent motor factors will have it.

alpin
    Free Member

actually i paid 6€ for 50ml of magura oil…..

went intot the citroen dealer this morning, but the guy said that they use DOT oil for the suspension, but mineral oil for the damping and in the system for dropping the roof on convertibles.

the oil was greeny-white, not blue.

i used the Magura stuff. it was a close call as to whether there was enough because i knocked the bottle over. my brakes are now like new!

oh, in germany there are no halfords stores….

cheers folks…

stumpyjon

Don't quite see the point of buying litres of the stuf even if it does work out cheaper. Once it's opened it needs using fairly quickly or ut will end up full of water.

bigyinn
    Free Member

DOT fliud yes, LHM / Mineral oil less so (if at all!). Besides the amount of air in the container only holds a small amount of water vapour.
    My litre of LHM has served me well, have had it abut 5 years and regular bleeds etc mean its down to about half full now. Was only about £8 for Citroen stuff.

U31
    Free Member

What Bigyin said, LHM or Mineral oil isn't hygroscopic like DOT types 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘magura oil in shimano brakes….?’ is closed to new replies.