Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Magnetic tool storage that isn’t ugly
  • richmtb

My bike cave project is well underway.

Walls round the workbench have been clad in 12mm ply and I’m in the process of applying a couple of coats of Osmo oil to the wood. Its going to look great 😀

I want a few tools on the wall, not masses like before. I bought two Halfords Advanced tools chests for under the bench for tools I don’t need all the time. But the tools I use the most shouldn’t be hidden away.

I’ve got a bunch of Silverline and Rolson magnetic holders but frankly, they look shit. Does anyone have suggestion on some better looking magnetic tool holders?

There are quite a few kitchen knife alternatives that look better than the generic garage ones but I’m dubious about how well they would hold heavier tools

Needs to be strong enough to hold one of these

theotherjonv

interested, I was thinking of doing similar but using something like these for hidden hanging

https://www.first4magnets.com/circular-disc-rod-c34/10mm-dia-x-2mm-thick-x-3mm-c-sink-neodymium-magnet-1-2kg-pull-p2446#ab_1_1|ps_2_675

1.2kg pull which would hold pretty much all of my regular use tools like allen keys, cable cutters, etc.

bikerevivesheffield

Tool clips for heavy stuff every time

jimw
    Free Member

I simply peeled the garish branded tape off the front and put some black insulation tape over. Much less harsh on the eye. Be aware that many of your tools will become magnetic-not a problem for me as I mostly deal with non-ferrous metals, but if you hold files on the magnetic holders and then file mild steel,they can look as if they have grown a fur coat after use.

Hammers, saws, chisels and planes are on pegs or racks

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Magnetic racks work for me.

These ones are IKEA, they’re great, when they get covered in magnetic crap you can take the metal cover off and wipe all the swarf off.

I tried some amazon ones before and they weren’t very strongly magnetic and covered in uncleanable swarf pretty quick (no cover).

dyna-ti

Walls round the workbench have been clad in 12mm ply and I’m in the process of applying a couple of coats of Osmo oil to the wood. Its going to look great 😀

For sure. nice bit of ply, a nice finish, whats not to love

As to those rolson magnetic strips. Agree they look poor, but you could encapsulate with some thin timber top and bottom, and something like 3mm ply over the magnetic surface

Take the magnetic strip. Place a length of pine or such glued to the top and bottom, flush with the strip, then glue the thin ply across the top, a couple of panel pins give it some mechanical strength.
    I dont think the 3mm ply will effect the magnetic field that much, but you’d need to try something over it between the strip and the tool to see if it does.
    Doubling up the strips will increase the surface area fixed together(not like the double strip in the pic) no gap, just stick one to the other with double sided tape and box it in as described above.
    The magnets, at least the quality knife ones are good and strong, and certainly hold a 4lb cleaver singly.

Kahurangi

Ikea Kungfors should manage a hammer easily.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Magnetic tool storage that isn’t ugly’ is closed to new replies.