Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Madison Trade Account?
  • nickscots1
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of using one and the prices, are they much cheaper ?

My work doesn’t pay VAT.

Thanks

tomhoward

They aren’t always cheaper the the OEM shifters

Though would have thought you’d need to be in the bike trade to get an account, no? Never really considered why though? Would the be a commitment to minimum spend?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes.Cheaper than what?
    Do you work for Starbucks/Google?
    You will have to convince Madison to let you have a trade account.If you are not a shop and just want cheap bits…..#goodluckwiththat.

nickscots1
    Free Member

We have 30+ bikes that need bits, so should be easy to convince them.

Yes Cheaper than What ?

Obviously a shop !

orangeboy
    Free Member

For Shimano stuff it’s often as cheaper/easier just to buy off crc etc as madisons stock level has been shocking this year.

But they also sell far more than just Shimano so maybe worth it, just ask them

scotroutes

I operate in a bike hire workshop with a fleet of around 60-65 bikes. We don’t have a trade account. There’s just not enough throughput of parts. We either buy through a friendly shop or go direct to the cheaper parts shifters (CRC, Wiggle, the Germans etc).

nickscots1
    Free Member

Orangeboy, thanks. It’s mainly Shimano stuff plus tubes, tyres etc. Maybe some cheap forks.

nickscots1
    Free Member

Scotroutes: thanks. I just presumed trade accounts would be cheaper.

scotroutes

Unlikely. What you may find is that your purchases, added to that of a friendly LBS, might push them into a higher discount bracket. Use that as a bit of leverage to get a good discount from them. I think you’ll be amazed/surprised how small the margin is for most shops.

orangeboy
    Free Member

and that’s the problem for many lbs at the moment but maybe that’s for another thread

If you can by tubes in 50s and tyres in 10s or 20s regular you may find it a little cheaper to get an account with a wholesaler

richardthird

Any UK business with a VAT no. can buy vat free from EU. For now. Bike-discount.de are the easiest it’s all automatic when you set up online account.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I thought that buying from EU doesn’t incur VAT at the time of purchase but if you are a retailer you charge the VAT when you sell the item so the amount of VAT that you pay is the same .EG buy an item for £60 is £50 + £10 VAT , sell it for £120 is £100 + £20 VAT and you Offset the £10 VAT that you have already paid so £20 – £10 VAT that you have already paid is £10 VAT to pay for a total of £20 . Buy from EU for £50 with no VAT charged , sell for £120 is £100 plus £20 VAT so your VAT total is £20 again as there is nothing to offset against it.

nickscots1
    Free Member

As a school, we don’t pay VAT, don’t know the details we just buy ex VAT.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re not a bike shop I doubt you’ll get an account. Even independent man in a van bike mechanics generally can’t get an account with them.
    Most stuff is cheaper but popular stuff isn’t generally much different to CRC.
    The main advantage of a Madison account is the warranty back up and tech support IME.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used to be the case. No shop front with a window – no account.

Rep had to visit to confirm.

Not sure what it’s like these days.

Rorschach
    Free Member

so should be easy to convince them

I know of shops that they’ve declined accounts to (being friends with 3 of the reps).
    You are a school and a shop apparently!

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, you won’t get an account unless you’re a shop. Maybe have a word with a local shop and see if they want to do you a discount, maybe?

Very puzzled by people saying their company doesn’t pay VAT – are you maybe confusing it with paying VAT but then reclaiming it?

maccruiskeen

Very puzzled by people saying their company doesn’t pay VAT – are you maybe confusing it with paying VAT but then reclaiming it?

I suspect its employees of companies/organisation who have a budget to work within but don’t actually make the payments themselves. For the purpose of their budget they can treat it as if the company ‘doesn’t pay the vat’ but its just a case of not being involved in writing the cheques of filling out the returns.

mahalo

could you not deal with a Madison rep direct, get them to place one large order to equip your 30 bikes rather than starting an account?

iamtheresurrection

You’ll likely only buy ex VAT if it’s an internal transaction within the LEA.

You’ll claim VAT back for goods from other suppliers. Generally, schools don’t sell goods or services so don’t pay output VAT, but you would need to add VAT to the sale of any ‘other income type’ item sold from the school to you; including things like selling yourself the old photocopier.

Generally, a Madison trade account is more expensive than stuff from CRC apart from obscure stuff that CRC don’t discount.

EDIT. Sorry, just seen your post further down where you said you’re not selling them on. Still probably cheaper through CRC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Madison Trade Account?’ is closed to new replies.