Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • M Steels Gosforth – Gone!
  • joemmo
    Free Member

How times have changed and they will soon me building a new housing development there soon, last bit of mining history gone.

I’d doubt that, there’s enough problems with mining subsidence in the area without building directly on top of a spoil heap. There’s a street in Northumberland Park where the new builds have been condemned and have cracks running from roof to floor. It’s probably toxic too, much easier to build over the fields at Merton or under the pylons by the A19 at Backworth as they are doing.

anyway re: the shop and internet shopping. Well yes, that’s bound to play a big part but I guess the shops that have developed an online business alongside the physical shop stand a better chance of thriving. Steels online shop was a token effort at best. So perhaps an inevitable closure, just hope the staff are well treated and find new jobs easily

Bez

Gone to the Dogs.

Bolx.

🙁

kayla1
    Free Member

The Pedal-In used to be here-

BITD, like mid-late 80s. We used to drool over the CW bars and braced layback posts in the window 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P20

I used Steels in Whitley Bay as a kid with it being my nearest decent local bike shop. I then worked for Hardistys (one of the miserables….) 😆 So didn’t need to go.
    Sad to see a regional icon go. Where will I get my next Greggs top now??

thenorthwind

That’s sad, but it was my LBS for a couple of years a few years ago (just round the corner) and I went in a few times to try and support it, but they were never overly helpful and there were lots of expensive shiny shiny things and rarely bits I actually needed.

A friend I lived with at the time, one of the most laid-back people I know, also got really annoyed at their service when he took his fork in for a service.

A very small sample I know, but if representative, then I’m not too sorry.

cookiemonster27
    Free Member

As with many others in here, they scoffed at me and my bike when I went in looking for a tube. I presume because I wasn’t riding a Specialized. I never set foot in the place again.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘M Steels Gosforth – Gone!’ is closed to new replies.