Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • lyrik riders – how heavy are you and what spring?
  • Northwind

stevomcd – Member

There’s no reason to go for any spring other than the recommended one.

Well, yes there is, if it’s completely wrong. Which is was, for me.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Wow! Now that’s a post stevo. However a couple of things to remember, its the spring shape and coil structure that controls the spring rate not just the sag or preload. Also the spring is suitable for a range of weights and differing riding styles. I run a medium and weigh anything from 14 to 15 stone depending on what gear and camelback used. My philosophy is that ride smoother ride faster ride softer, that is to say I ride neither but I try! Bottoming out is good, it means that you are using the suspention, bottoming out harsh is bad which means the suspension is not setup correctly. There’s some good advice on here, I follow the rs setup vid on youtube for compression / rebound and tweak as per the trail and riding style.

stevomcd
    Free Member

spring shape and coil structure that controls the spring rate not just the sag or preload

Sag is a direct function of the spring rate?

Pre-load isn’t adjustable on RockShox U-turn forks or on most higher-end bike forks (Marzocchi air-preload types being the main exception).

Are there any bike forks/shocks with shapes/structures other than linear?

sunnrider
    Free Member

Got a Lyrik coil Uturn with a Med spring, I´ve never bottomed out and can´t get anywhere near the last inch or so of travel. I weigh 65kilos in full bike kit.
    Anyone with a soft (yellow)spring want to swap?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Stevo, see here: –

The 160mm U-Turn lyrik spring is not linear.

However the 170mm DH is more linear: –

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

It is possible to buy preload spacers for Lyriks. Am i right in thinking that these can be used to fine tune the spring rate if you are between spring weights?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not for a uturn fork

Konastoner
    Free Member

Monkeyboy, there is about 10mm of allowable preload that is available. However no such spacers exist, I have fettled may times with my lyriks and now run my 2007 160’s at 170mm de-utilising the u-turn which in turn provides the required ramp up at end of stroke. It’s not a pretty mod but has held up good so far , even a week in Morzine.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how do you do that?

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Lyrik-Parts

A long story but since Rockshox have dropped the 170mm RC2DH fixed coil for 2012, they ended up specifically making one for me. They also chucked a couple of these preload spacers in the box. I haven’t used them yet, but just wondering.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Hmmm, interesting that. I suspect that it is to do with the 170mm non uturn versions only though.

Cruzheckler, I have heavily modified my Lyriks as follows: –

5wt oil in compression to allow better SBC (Small bump compliance on full off HS /LS)and finer range of damping.

Floodgate mod again better SBC due to better oil flow.

Secondary oil seal removal on main stanchions, now running foam seals. Again much better SBC due to less stiction and better lubrication (Oil / grease mix).

170mm mod by removing the last part of the coil of the u-turn spring, allowing you to wind out the coil a further 10mm max (You will not need to adjust the MC oil level) You will need to fix the spring in place to prevent over turning and winding the spring out of the u-tun assembly completey. This mod also brings into play the u-turn spring area providing a higher ramp up levelat bottom out (See pic above).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

kona – 5wt is stock in the damper??

done the dh mod

where did you get the foam rings from?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Cruzheckler, the origional RS spec oil came in at about 7.5wt against the standard.

I got the foam rings from TFTuned, they called it the “Boxxer” mod.

Northwind

Monkey Boy – Member

It is possible to buy preload spacers for Lyriks. Am i right in thinking that these can be used to fine tune the spring rate if you are between spring weights?

Nope, preloading a spring doesn’t change the spring rate.

stevomcd
    Free Member

This mod also brings into play the u-turn spring area providing a higher ramp up levelat bottom out (See pic above).

Aye, I was going to say that the narrower coil section at the end is more for the U-turn mechanism than for the spring rate. Will have some effect at full travel, but I suspect quite small.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Not necessarily Northwind, if the preload spring acts with the main spring without affecting the ammount of travel this will actually affect the overall spring rate at one point of the travel.

So the answer may be… yes!

Konastoner
    Free Member

Stevomcd, exactly but winding out the extra 10mm brings it into play more.

Northwind

Konastoner, he’s not talking about a preload spring but spacers.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect and old-(ish) thread. Can someone please explain what effect using the preload spacers (effectively thinnish penny washers) would have on the the fork. Also, how does this compare to increasing compression damping? I’ve only had the fork for a few weeks and am still getting used to it. At the moment, doing a 6ft drop to a flattish landing is using a lot of travel.

Cheers.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘lyrik riders – how heavy are you and what spring?’ is closed to new replies.