Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • London bike commuters WTF
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

[RANT MODE START]I know that bike commuters in London seem to get alot of bad press about how they ride and blatant disregard for the basic rules of the roads, lke stopping at pedestrian x-ings to let people cross and I thought it was just a myth or an over egged anti-cycling story.

But…….. I've been commuting for a while since I moved down here, and by God are some riders utter idiots and quite frankly deserve the bad press that is unfortunatley tarring the rest of us.

WTF is wrong with stopping on a pedestrian crossing to let people cross instead of weaving through them and making yourself look like a right impatient tit!

As for generally riding like a tool, since when has it been a good idea to ride up the inside of buses, vans and especially taxis at junctions and generally on the road where there's no cycle lane – people are then surprised when they get knocked off! No $h!t Sherlock, ride into a blind spot and there's a fair chance you're gonna get hit.

People just need to smarten up and become road wise – perhaps a compulsary cycling proficency test should be imposed on anyone who buys a bike to ensure they're not an utter idiot with no regard for themselves let alone other road users 💡 [RANT MODE FINISH]

RepacK
    Free Member

Agreed – but I think just be thankful these d1cks are on bikes & not in cars, just imagine what they would be like then!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Probably no worse than the majority of drivers.

Smee
    Free Member

So basically what you're saying is that at present London commuters act like **** so they shouldn't be surprised that they get ****?

RepacK
    Free Member

Hmm no thats nots what I think but hey if your ride dangerously then dont be surprised if you get hurt. Its common sense really. The reckless habits of some give the rest of us a bad name.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Goan -> if you read the post correctly, I'm saying that some ride like idiots and have no road sense taking unecessary risks with themselves and endangering other people around them.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Basically, an inconsiderate person will be an inconsiderate person regardless of the mode of transport they choose to use.

langy
    Free Member

Call them out when you see it; it amazing how a little peer pressure and embarrasment will sometimes be enough.

I was stopped at a red on a busy main road at a pedestrian crossing. A roadie (in full team kit on an expensive carbon jobbie ie someone who theoretically should know what is up/better) comes past me, weaves pedestrians etc. I abused him for being stupid and inconsiderate as he did it. The lights went green, I caught up and so at the next light he actually did stop. Another little chat, let him go back into TT mode off up the road. But he stopped at all the reds up the road, for as long as he stayed on it. Seen him a few time since and he still seems to stop at reds now.

Filtering…if the traffic is stationary and you can get by and more clearly into a drivers field of vision, then its calculated risk. If we're talking left turn lane in moving traffic then fully agree don't be surprised if they turn across you.

But overall, mk1fan hit the nail on the head.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah but the proportion of terrible cyclists in London is far higher than you'll see in any other city. As the OP says, so many of them either have a death wish or are so incompetant that there should be a law stopping them. Watch them all riding past for ten minutes and you'll see exactly why there is so much animosity towards cyclists in the capital.

These people are our worst enemies as far as I'm concerned, the impact they have on people's attitudes towards cyclists is immense. Don't forget, all the law makers and national newspaper people live and work in the capital, their thoughts and opinions are read the country through, and someone in Peabody where two cyclists a day ride through will start to think they have a problem with them because some red braced **** with a drink problem needs to fill his column for the day.

simon_g

Yes, the general standard of cycling in London is abysmal. There's a combination of people who are just oblivious to the hazards, and those who've sucked up all the "beat the traffic" propaganda and feel a sense of entitlement to get to the front of every queue regardless of whether that's a good idea.

The other day coming home on my motorbike I had a cyclist try to filter down the tiniest of gaps on my left… after I'd indicated left and was slowing to make a turn. If I hadn't done the usual lifesaver before turning, we'd both have gone down.

This isn't to mention all the people at this time of year who can afford £300+ bikes and save at least £100 a month on a travelcard – but can't afford £10 for a set of lights. Idiots.

The one consolation is that police do seem to be out and about, mainly catching red-light-jumpers at trouble spots. There's been a fair bit of publicity about the perils of going down the left of larger vehicles too – but you still see people doing it, every single day. It's no wonder there are so many cycling deaths, the tragedy is that so many would be preventable with even basic defensive riding skills.

CountZero

Goan – Member
    So basically what you're saying is that at present London commuters act like **** so they shouldn't be surprised that they get ****?

if he's not saying it then I will. If someone rides like a coq, ignoring all the conventions and laws designed to maintain road safety, then they have only themselves to blame. Simples. Darwin had a theory about it, or don't you believe in evolution? It's nature's way of culling the terminally stupid, and while I applaud some sections of society's efforts in keeping the average intelligence of the human race up, and the population levels down, when it affects society's attiude to my preferred mode of transport to my detriment, I'd rather they cut it out. If that's alright with you?

mk1fan
    Free Member

I think the main problem in London is that there is a lot of people riding instead of driving (and applying the same low level of road craft that they do when they drive) and a lot of people 'sticking it to the man' and riding anarchicly. Put these last people in a car and they drive ultra conservatily. Sorry I've had a few ciders.

Over on Pistonheads it's amazing how many people post contradictive posts depending on the forum they're in.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Go and have a look at the london fixie forum for "serious london bikies". Some of the threads take on a fairly aggressive approach to drivers/motorcyclists etc. But hey! – riding a bike is where all the cool people are – right?

brooess
    Free Member

Sadly the OP is absolutely correct. Cycling has a bad name in London because there's more people riding bikes badly and being utterly complacenent about the rule of law, basic consideration, and their own safety, than people riding well, safely and with consideration. I'm usually the only one sitting waiting at the red light – all the others who arrived with, or after me have just carried right on. It makes me pretty angry actually, it's doing a huge amount of damage to cycling as a sport but the f*ckers doing it simply don't understand that. And it then allows drivers to justify to themselves driving without consideration for cyclists. And that kills people.

naokfreek
    Free Member

It's the same whatever transport you use…everyones got a bad name, be sensible and, if your gonna break the rules, be prepared for the consequenses should there be any!!

Easy really.

eddie
    Free Member

been riding 100miles ish a week in london for the last 10years and personally i see nothing wrong in jumping red lights as long as its safe to do so and your not affecting anyone else pedistrian or other road user, In fact in most cases jumping a red light usually lets you have loads of free road. BUT alot of people just seem to jump red lights when it suits regardless of who or what might coming the other way. Jumping a pedistrian crossing when people are walking across is just rude and doesn't really achieve anything apart from pissing people off.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Word eddie…tis the truth sir.

rootes1

<<Yeah but the proportion of terrible cyclists in London is far higher than you'll see in any other city. As the OP says, so many of them either have a death wish or are so incompetant that there should be a law stopping them. Watch them all riding past for ten minutes and you'll see exactly why there is so much animosity towards cyclists in the capital.>>

probably more cycle commuters in london than anywhere else though..

i commute in london and stop at lights etc – i often end up overtaking the same people a few times you run red lights

perks

firstly eddie: skipping red lights is NEVER ok – especially in london – people see you and it just fuels the general idea that cyclists are hypocrites, going on about safe driving yet breaking the law…really f***** annoying! don't do it!! it saves maybe 5 minutes (if you're really unlucky) on a 30 min commute – so what's the point.

second – there's several types of idiot cyclists in london 1) the "la las" – i.e. those that seem obvlivious to the world around them, go flying through junctions with no idea what's going on – mostly found on brand new shoppers with all sorts of junk in their baskets 2) the "new cool" cyclists, those that want to look like couriers but aren't – found riding "niche" from evans!!!!! (oxymoronbikes)therefore have stupid thin bars, no brakes, and importantly no skill…3) the "should know MUCH better" – as Langy said, full kitted out rodies who just don't want to unclip at lights/crossings so go straight through…

all are just w@nkers – and should be told – except maybe the "la las" who just need to wake up.

it makes me really angry when I ride in London, it just makes it more and more dangerous for everyone else…

as for those without liight….ok…calm down..getting really ranty now…!!!!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

You want to try driving a lorry round the place. Some of the cyclists are a **** nightmare.

Too many people in one place.

RoterStern
    Free Member

firstly eddie: skipping red lights is NEVER ok – especially in london

I think that the point Eddie was making is not that you save 5 minutes on your journey but you have a clear road in front of you for a few seconds before you get up to speed again. I live in Germany now and at most lights which have a cycle lane the cyclist gets a green light a few seconds before the motorist which means you aren't getting crowded out by cars when you start off when you are at your most vulnerable.

crazy-legs

London is almost at the point of critical mass with regards to the number of cyclists, it's got to the point where, on a sunny summer evening some of the traffic lights on the major routes can look like a TdF startline. As a result, cars don't really have any option but to give way and some cyclists have gone too far in thinking that the road now belongs to them.

Personally I think it's better than it was (in terms of RLJing) actually but then I've only cycled in London infrequently in the last year or so.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Roter Stern

I live in Germany now and at most lights which have a cycle lane the cyclist gets a green light a few seconds before the motorist which means you aren't

So cyclists aren't jumping / going through a red light.

Eddie – Do you drive a car? Do you jump through red lights whilst driving too?

singletrackhor
    Free Member

its a mare commuting in london.
    idiots in cars, ****ts in cabs riding halfway between the bike/bus lane and the fast lane, idiotic pedestrians with ipods/dogs and nutter cyclists.
    if only work was as exciting as the commute 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Roter Stern

I live in Germany now and at most lights which have a cycle lane the cyclist gets a green light a few seconds before the motorist which means you aren't

So cyclists aren't jumping / going through a red light.

Eddie – Do you drive a car? Do you jump through red lights whilst driving too?

The point I was making is that they don't need to. I still see the main problem with UK streets in cities is that they are all made for the motorist in mind at the expense of other modes of transport.

kimbers

im with eddie if you dont get away quickly at lights you will get taken down in london ime

and to all those who say do you do it in your car

do you only cross the road as a pedestrian at a crossing, do you only cross when the green man is showing

do you heck!

juan
    Free Member

What kimbers says.
    But then it's unfair to have a go at londoners with fred being allowed to reply

naokfreek
    Free Member

Just to say, i see as many cars jumping reds in london as bikes!! Maybe more infact.

allyharp

I don't really think there's much difference between a cyclist going through a red light than a pedestrian crossing at the red man.
    Assuming that in both cases due care and attention is taken – which usually means coming to a stop and looking around before proceeding.

If you walked straight into the road without looking you can't complain if you get hit by a car. Same goes for bikes.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Yep…agree.

Festive season is around the corner, couriering in the west end (london) takes on a new dimension, cars are the least of my worries.

grantway
    Free Member

WELCOME TO LONDON
    Lucky the commuters on the underground arnt on bikes

Dont be a xwat theres no way cars jump the lights more than bikes
    Theres verturaly a camera on every set of traffic lights
    including cameras on front of the buses plus bus lane cameras

thefettler
    Free Member

Its not just London,
    some "cyclist" in Sydney jumped on a bus and punched the driver over some minor cutting up.
    This lead to an out poring of hate towards bikes in the papers,even calls for bikes to be registered (again)reflects badly on the majority.

grantway
    Free Member

Probaly deserved it.
    Bit like the Two bob bus drivers we have in London

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘London bike commuters WTF’ is closed to new replies.