• This topic has 2,120 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nickjb.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,121 total)
  • Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?
  • bedmaker

If, and it’s a big if, the powers that be say we shouldn’t be doing it, it’s unlikely to be because of an underlying anti cycling agenda. It’ll be because some people who understand this whole thing much much better than you or I, think it should have a positive impact.

Don’t you think it’s a bit odd to think “this advice good, this advice BS”?

(strikes me as a lot like thinking speed limits/mobile phone use behind the wheel and various other STW favourites don’t apply to “you” because you’ve never crashed your car)

*FWIW I think it’s all the wrong call, but sometimes you have to shut up, sit down and do as your told so I will.

Remember that foot and mouth thing a while back?
    Some utterly, utterly bulllshit ‘advice’ from the powers that be back then.
    I for one did not sit down, shut up and do as I was told then, as it was total nonsense (in my particular situation.)

The stuff we are hearing about from Spain in recent days falls into the same category.

tjmoore

The government advice to reduce transmission of the virus being “ Avoid gatherings with friends…”

I denounce them as friends then 😄 . Just some people who happen to be about while I’m riding, and not a gathering (it’s not Highlander).

Meanwhile – https://singletrackworld.com/2020/03/imba-statement-on-mountain-biking-and-covid-19

kilo

Yes we’ll all be laughing our cocks off as our parents die because people decided social isolation doesn’t apply to them 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Remember that foot and mouth thing a while back?
    Some utterly, utterly bulllshit ‘advice’ from the powers that be back then.
    I for one did not sit down, shut up and do as I was told then, as it was total nonsense (in my particular situation.)

The stuff we are hearing about from Spain in recent days falls into the same category.

I was living on a farm during both recent outbreaks, so you should probably qualify that statement with what you think was wrong otherwise Im thinking you might juat be an idiot…….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are they?

The average person (not adult, person) in the UK makes 2 “car” journeys a day that’s a lot of driving for not a lot of accidents.

Lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are about 1/100.

Covid-19 seems to be <1% if you catch it (assuming that once you’ve survived it youre immune).

So by that measure you’re still more likely to die in a car, just that your lifetime odds are potentially compressed into the next few months.

hardtailonly

I have just spent the evening bimbling with a couple of mates on an easy going SS ride. Non technical trails. I wore knee and eye protection, and consciously throttled back on sections of well known trail that might have been a bit bumpy. We then met up with a mate at the pub (we sat outside, approx 2m apart from each other) who we’ve not seem since he had a big off at BPW 5 weeks ago and will not be riding until June. We talked almost exclusively of Covid-19. And put future bike-packing plans, and regular rides, on hold. But also talked about “what if’ a cycling ban comes into effect. It all felt very odd. Suspect there will be the occasional ninja solo raid by each of us, but all very sobering.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@thisisnotaspoon some quick googling suggests 1/103 in the US which is where I imagine you got your figure.

Fact check for the UK: 1 in 240.

http://www.bandolier.org.uk/booth/Risk/trasnsportpop.html

bedmaker

I was living on a farm during both recent outbreaks, so you should probably qualify that statement with what you think was wrong otherwise Im thinking you might juat be an idiot…….

The dairy farm I was living next door to would let the slurry poo of a huge herd run freely down the road as they crossed it every day. This was then spread around on tyres, feet and washed into the river.
    Meanwhile, on the other side of the house, the woods, river paths, footy fields were all in lockdown.
    There’s many other similar stories, as you well know if you were anything to do with farming.
    So yeah, bullshit rules* made up to be seen to be doing something.

*See also, closing off the Cuillins to protect the herds which roam the craggy hillsides.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but then the risks from driving are far greater and that hasn’t been banned

The government has said there should be no none essential travel. So yes it has been banned. Driving somewhere to ride your bike is not essential

tjagain

but riding your bike is fine according tho the guidance we have.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

but riding your bike is fine according tho the guidance we have.

I suppose that depends if its just for lycra clad loonies to exercise or a perfectly normal everyday method of transport… (Insert comedy shrug face)

tjagain

both!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Then how would we know? I guess if it’s on strava then it’s OK because clearly it’s got no real purpose?

epicyclo

one useful side effect of CV…. 🙂

tjmoore

The government has said there should be no none essential travel. So yes it has been banned. Driving somewhere to ride your bike is not essential

The government has advised against none essential foreign travel, and non-essential use of public transport. They have advised varying travel times avoiding rush hour.

The headlines are misleading in this and have only picked up on the non-essential travel but reading the article details and the official published government guidance, it all relates to worldwide travel, flights etc, and the same when listening to the full statements from Dominic Raab etc (and not just the soundbites from Johnson).

Also, very little has actually been banned. We just have advice. Whether that’s the right approach or it should be stricter and enforced like Spain, Italy etc, is another matter. Going by the figures infected regionally I don’t think we’re at that stage yet.

Travel to a destination to get some exercise is essential as far as I’m concerned and we are advised to get exercise so long as we maintain social distancing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Then how would we know? I guess if it’s on strava then it’s OK because clearly it’s got no real purpose?

Does it matter seeing as neither is banned?

Actually, only riding* to work is discouraged, so better don some lycra so no one thinks you’re commuting.

*going to work at all, not the riding bit

There’s many other similar stories, as you well know if you were anything to do with farming.
    So yeah, bullshit rules* made up to be seen to be doing something.

Thanks for clarifying, I’ve formed my opinion………..

molgrips
    Free Member

I for one did not sit down, shut up and do as I was told then, as it was total nonsense

If there’s one thing you can’t do in a crisis like this it’s make up your own rules to suit yourself.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon

The average person (not adult, person) in the UK makes 2 “car” journeys a day that’s a lot of driving for not a lot of accidents.

Lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are about 1/100.

Covid-19 seems to be <1% if you catch it (assuming that once you’ve survived it youre immune).

So by that measure you’re still more likely to die in a car, just that your lifetime odds are potentially compressed into the next few months.

4-8% in Italy, where the outbreak got totally out of hand. Where they weren’t even treating the heart attacks in over 65 victims because they didn’t have capacity in the hospitals.

That’s the situation that all these measures are trying to avoid. But lots of folks know better, as ever.

Edit – sorry TINAS, I was disagreeing with your statistic, didn’t intend the latter part as directed at you, which is how it reads

FOG

Went out this morning for a 2 hour bimble, worried in case I was arrested but needn’t have worried, there were scores of walkers out. I think I was the only person I saw out on their own.
    On the way home I pedalled through my local suburb which looked like a normal lunchtime.
    I really don’t think the general public are taking this seriously enough.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I guess if you agree that if you fall and break something, a collar bone say, then you accept you are going to have to walk home and live with it as you will not be welcome at A&E.

Trimix
    Free Member

Could be a good time to ride those trails that are normally too busy to enjoy then.

reluctantjumper

They really aren’t. Was out for a quick hill reps session yesterday in the local woods and over on the footpath I could see a constant stream of dog walkers all huddling together, shaking hands, hugging and just carrying on as normal. On my side (paths are separated by a road) I only met one other cyclist and a horse rider, we all kept our distance and kept chat to the basics. Riding back out of the woods and all the dog walkers were huddled outside the local pub, again touching each other and in close proximity. Earlier I had to ask a few people to keep their distance when in the supermarket, one was behind me in the queue and was determined to stand 6 inches behind me while I gave the person in front the length of the conveyor belt. A member of the store staff intervened and got them to move away from me, cue loads of hysterics about their human rights etc and that it’s all a fuss over nothing. He looked old and in poor health so Darwin should take effect there not that I wish him to die but if they won’t help themselves…

montgomery
    Free Member

I’d echo the above. I’m a postie, now working my days off and extra hours to cover for colleagues off sick/swinging the lead (depending on your level of cynicism). I had one old dear pursue me down her path today like a **** vampire, forcing me to walk backwards until eventually I held up my hand and said “Please, madam, keep your distance…!”

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Could be a good time to ride those trails that are normally too busy to enjoy then

I have never seen it so busy out and about in the world (it’s a good thing to some extent) admitedly I’m not normally on the road mid week so it could always be like this on a Thursday in March but every b road layby or woodland car park I’ve passed is like your local honeypot location on a scorching bank holiday.

All the pubs and café etc I’d expect to be bursting at the seams based on the number of folk around looked deathly though.

It’s like they’ve turned off the TV broadcast or something.

flyingmonkeycorps

FWIW I’ve cancelled a day trip to the Peak from Hull. Travelling plus the risk of rocky riding doesn’t sit right with me at the moment.

That said if things remain as they are I’ll be out on my road bike over the weekend, and might venture onto some of the gentle singletrack nearby.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

The common sense approach for me, riding around the woods/paths etc but missing out the single track rad stuff.
    Loads of people out walking/running/riding, it’s more like a holiday vibe than a serious health crisis.

scotroutes

Just back from a wee spin out on the road bikes with three friends. Roads were quiet and there were a few other cyclists, walkers etc around. Just another normal day around here.

richmtb

The common sense approach for me, riding around the woods/paths etc but missing out the single track rad stuff.

Just like any other ride when you are out yourself, ride within your limits and don’t take silly risks

reluctantjumper

Anyone else notice that all the uplift centres have been closing operations apart from BPW? Surely the biggest centre with a long drive to the top in sweaty minibuses has got to be a big transmission risk? I’m avoiding any DH-style riding right now anyway so won’t be going but surely they should be thinking of the safety of their staff and customers?!?

markrh
    Free Member

If we’re not careful Covid19 could kill off a lot of outdoor pursuits where contact is unavoidable. Dogging for one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone else notice that all the uplift centres have been closing operations apart from BPW? Surely the biggest centre with a long drive to the top in sweaty minibuses has got to be a big transmission risk? I’m avoiding any DH-style riding right now anyway so won’t be going but surely they should be thinking of the safety of their staff and customers?!?

Cynical me would assume that somewhere with an old cattle truck, near zero infrastructure and most people pay on the day close as soon as bookings drop below the cost of filling the truck with diesel.

BPW has bookings for months in advance which probably get spent on trail maintenance and other costs long before the actual day, so there’s difficulties in refunding. And they have much larger overheads, staff, buildings, rates etc. So they’ve got a double whammy of they’d have to refund and lots of costs.

Trimix
    Free Member

Just been out for a road ride, on the plus side there were no cars. Still loads of potholes though 🙁

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Still loads of potholes though 🙁

The world has changed, its unrecognisable, its borderline sci-fi, people are saying hello to each other in the street, they’re considering if the house next door actually has someone living in it, there’s been none of [redacted] in the news for weeks, the daily mail hasn’t blamed this on foreign folk for at least a week and there’s a car in orbit but you’re taking things a bit far.

Marko

Anyone else notice that all the uplift centres have been closing operations apart from BPW? Surely the biggest centre with a long drive to the top in sweaty minibuses has got to be a big transmission risk?

They need to step up and do the right thing. I love the place but they seem to be acting like a bunch of Dicks.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Days are getting longer, weather is improving and for the first time in years our evenings aren’t taken up with kids activities so as long as I’m not breaking any laws I’ll be getting out lots on the bike. I’m self employed so try to avoid hurting myself anyway and it seems pretty important from a mental health point of view to do the stuff that keeps me sane.

montgomery
    Free Member

The comparison with F&M in 2001 is an interesting one (I lived in the Lakes at the time).

Then, you had total lockdown away from the tarmac for a livestock disease that posed no threat to human health. The farming industry that’d caused it through their slapdash practises was compensated for losses incurred during the emergency, while other blameless rural industries generating far more jobs and revenue were left to swing in the breeze. While this was going on, plenty of people were advocating a different strategy of ring vaccination and more open access. This was disregarded by the Blair government at the time, but has since been adopted as the official policy should another F&M outbreak occur – which kind of implies the original policy of burning mounds of animals and banning people from venturing off pavement was wrong.

See any parallels going forward…?

anagallis_arvensis

Foot and Mouth **** my PhD, still makes me sad, this is eleventy billion times worse and all we have is dont go to the pub!!!

halifaxpete

BPW suspending uplifts as of the 21st until further notice, will still be open if you dont mind the pedal up though.

reluctantjumper

Yep, they posted earlier on Facebook that they were still running the buses, got a lot of stick for it. 3 hours later they announce it’s no longer running.

FOG

There is an article in the Grauniad about how cycling is the obvious way to keep fit and get around in semi lock down conditions.
    The writer thinks the Government should positively encourage cycling although it doesn’t specifically mention mtbing though.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 2,121 total)

The topic ‘Lock down, can i ride my bike in the countryside?’ is closed to new replies.