Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Little green men? Aurora? Who knows
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On Saturday night, after a lovely dinner with friends, I drove home (Hence was utterly sober). On arriving back, I took a beer with me out to the garden for a while.

Staring skywards, as I often do, a light appeared in the sky. Moving fast, from East to West on my South side. It was as if someone had shone a bright, 50's style Hollywood searchlight in to the sky. Moving very fast, without noise, it shot across the sky for a fair while before rapidly changing direction, then disappearing.

No events around which would have had a searchlight. Nothing in that direction such as roads or air routes. Too low and too bright to be a satellite (We see several of those), too fast to be an aeroplane (Again, the area around the Plain is full of them so I know what that looks like).

Odd thing is, it wasn't spooky or eerie at all, and I wasn't the only person to see it from the garden, but it's the first time I've ever seen something I can't easily explain.

So, anyone else seen something odd in the sky recently?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

To be honest, absolutely honest, I have seen several weird sights in the sky, I love to watch the sky on a winter night when its crystal clear, and due to this I have had said experiences. There have been a lot of sightings in the London / South area recently.. also Dundee area.. ( I also visit ufo sites cos I am really interested in them..)

duckers
    Free Member

Lanterns apparently, it was in the news recently. We've had the same up here, no reason why, no one owning up, just plain old lanterns.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Duckers, I've launched those at weddings of late. There wasn't anywhere near enough wind for the speed of movement I saw, and was also a very white light, so not like those of lanterns.

I've seen many reports of that in the West Country, though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Helicopter with search light? They can move and change direction very fast and can be silent if the wind is in the right direction.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nope. Was lower than a searchlight, and also as mentioned above, not enough wind. Again, lots of rotary action round the way, nothing that evening.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Had something similar here back in December/January. Wierd shimmery lights in the sky snaking about the place (not straight like beams – wavy sides and not necessarilly straigh). Also got some pulsing spinning effects going. It was ace, gutted I didn't have my camera!

Figured it was a very, very weak aurora.

scaredypants

CIA spy drone ?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

um r u in yorkshire?
    im in northyorkshire and we sometimes see the northern lights here but only in the winter and not in the way u describe them as we r not far north enough.

CountZero

Aurora Borealis is a simmery curtain of coloured light, usually green, purple, red. Very rare in the south of England, only saw them once about twenty six-seven years ago early in the morning. Not sure where the Captain lives, but he mentioned the Plain, so I'd guess the one of Salisbury persuasion. All sorts of weird crap flying around these parts, some goes into Fairford with dimmed flightpath lights and gets met by trucks with just sidelights on, according to the aircraft twitchers my brother knows. Could be some sort of spook ship? Who knows. Aurora will probably be shown to the world twenty years down the line.

scaredypants

seen any funny 3-legged plants about the place, flash ?

break out the round-up

samuri
    Free Member

captain lives in manchester, no? Sounds like a proper UFO to me, you were lucky not to wake up wandering down the east lancs with your underpants on back to front and a vague feeling that you'd been violated.

I'm not sure why aliens always feel the need to shove things up our bottoms but if you read any of those books on the subject of abductions, it's always the same thing. "I saw a bright light in the sky, next thing I remember I was walking along in a daze and my buttocks felt slippery."

Yeah, or you had sex with another man and had to explain it all away to your wife.

stuey
    Free Member

Troutlight?

meehaja
    Free Member

about 15 years ago i was camping in the woods with some friends, looking out across the flat nottinghamshire skyline and saw something almost identical to what you're describing. a very bright light, moved slowly across the horizon (with no discernable shape behind it) then shot back very quickly. It did this for about 40 mins, when we decided to take some pictures (with flash cos it was dark) also, feeling brave we pointed a very powerful torch at it. The light then started coming towards us very quickly and suddenly there was a very loud noise, the likes of which I'd never heard before, like a cross between a Jet and a helicopter.

When the military helicopter with the rear jet rather than rota hovered above us we thought we were going to get shot or something. after a few mins of blowing our tents all over, the helicopter left and we didn't see it again. the rest of teh night was spent telling each other that we weren't scared and knew it wasn't UFO's all along!

And the point of this story?

I like stories!

juiced
    Free Member

I witnessed an incrediable event in January. Riding back from the shops early evening and there were 3 guys staring into the sky. Had been continual local newspaper stories all through December of sightings. Anyway what i saw was a large ball of light the keep scanning the sky back and forth quite low. It kept getting larger and smaller which i think was because it was rapidly moving back and forth over two areas of woodland. Then it rose in the sky and started moving erratically jiggling around. It then just cruized off low in the sky and was gone. There's been loads of similar sightings since, many of which are on you tube.

I should add that I thought I had saw another one a few weeks ago. It was a bright slowly moving light the moved constantly and slowly with then just dropped. This i am certain was a chinese latern that are set of from a point near me.

iDave
    Free Member

it was most likely a bright, 50's style Hollywood searchlight

juiced
    Free Member

Also what I saw seemed to be pulsating to some degree, It did not have solid edges but seemed fuzzy and almost seemed to pulsate.

juiced
    Free Member

neverfastenough do you have an email address?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

juiced;

Yes, please elaborate..

samuri
    Free Member

He needs to know where to send the men in black.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

They were visible over Leeds festival on saturday and no I hadn't been on the mushrooms!! The bands had finished and it was quite late, we were sat outside the tent having a few more drinks and you could make out faint colours shifting in the sky. Hope that's what it was anyway 🙂

retrorick

Last Saturday night around 12.30am I saw a strange light floating in the sky. It had an orange glow like a lantern, travelling at a reasonable speed in the direction of lee quarry! I took a look through some binoculars but couldn't get a good look at it. A lantern was my best guess at its identity.

Rick.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

juiced;

I have added my e-mail to my profile.

juiced
    Free Member

ok. just interests me too.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Hello Juiced,
    I live in Staffordshire. Within 10 miles of Cosford and almost on Cannock Chase, not exactly a hotspot although Cosford has had its moments..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Little green men? Aurora? Who knows’ is closed to new replies.