Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • List of steel rigid 29er forks
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

I’m looking for some rigid steel 29er forks (100mm corrected)

Pretty sure I’ve found most of what’s available, but wanted to check I’m not missing something as I don’t really want to spend as much as it looks like I’ll have to:

Surly (Krampus, KM, ECR, etc.)
    Salsa (Cromoto & Firestarter)
    Pipedream (Sirius)
    Cotic (Cascade)
    Kona (P2 Unit)
    Identity (XC/XCT)
    Soma (various I think)

Edit:
    Bombtrack (BPS)

sas78

Second hand set of Singular swifts on eBay at the moment for £80. From experience these are amazing. Had a set for years and regret selling them. Got mine powder coated black for £20!

daleftw
    Free Member

There’s the Bombtrack BPS forks too I think.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Bombtrack added to the list, thanks

As for the Swifts, I think they’ve gone now. I considered them, but after boost spacing ideally

legometeorology
    Free Member

The annoying thing is that I have two decent rigid forks, but both are tapered and I’m soon to pick up a straight steerer frame

I’ve also had (and sold on) 3 other rigid forks in the past year that were all straight steerer… damnnit

didnthurt
    DanW
    Free Member

This list is only those with mounts and mixes materials but may give some inspiration

Complete List of Forks with Bottle Cage Mounts (Utility Forks)

I have tried a few of the bigger brands like Surly and Salsa and found them as subtle as a pig. Horrible to ride, but maybe they make more sense when the bike is heavily loaded.

I really like the Whisky forks and stuck with them after trying loads of different brands, models and materials. If you can find some second hand maybe something like that is an option?

I’ve yet to ride a steel fork with that mystical ride quality people go on about so it would be interesting if anyone has experience of steel forks with a nice ride quality unloaded.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Thanks @DanW, yes I have looked through that list. Quite a lot seem hard or impossible to get hold of in the UK, and some of the prices are just nostalgic (Nordest fork for 103 euro? 250 euro now…)

The Pipedream will prob be my best bet, unless I can find something secondhand

How deep are your pockets?

https://jonesbikes.com/forks/

Not even deep enough for the 150mm front wheel those forks require 🙂 I would like a truss fork one day though; wanted one ever since I saw this Inbred

damascus
    Free Member

The annoying thing is that I have two decent rigid forks, but both are tapered and I’m soon to pick up a straight steerer frame

How about an external headset that takes a tapered fork?

What frame is it?

I used this in a straight steerer frame once and it was perfect, didn’t notice the 10mm extra height.

kimbers

I just picked up some NOS 29er Kona P2s for my Unit for £24 on eBay!

I knew it was a mistake selling the originals

There’s currently a gold boost set with tons of mounts on them on eBay too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266249461537?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7c3FcCPcT9S&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=K8K4WSadTTi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

ads678

I’ve also added an external bottom cup to a frame to run tapered forks before, worked fine. That on my daughter’s Trek Marlin though. Will depend on the dia of the headtube on the new frame.

legometeorology
    Free Member

@damascus, it’s a proper old-style 1 1/8th headtube unfortunately, not a 44mm that allows for an external cup (2014 Spot Rocker)

@kimbers
    , yes, I spotted those. They are exactly what I want, but the gold would be just hideous on the build I have on the way. The Kona UK shop had some black ones for a decent price but I just missed out on thier last pair (hence this thread)

qwerty
    Free Member
    shedbrewed
    Free Member

Have a look at the Thorn forks on sjs cycle’s website. There’s some tidy options there.

martymac

I’ll say, i have the surly forks on my karate monkey.
    They’re great forks.
    I’ve ridden modern and vintage forks, I’ve been riding mtbs since the 80s, the surly forks are great by modern standards.
    I reckon you’d need to go carbon to actually improve on the surly ones significantly.

ampthill

Brother cycles

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=v0rJAHy2hq3prHjRlxdRw5

Ok they don’t list it. I bet they’d sell you one. They certainly make one

Planet X are sold out

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOOOBZ29/on-one-bootzipper-29er-mountain-bike-fork

towpathman

@kimbers did you get the blue ones on eBay? I forgot to bid on them!

kimbers

@towpathman

Yes I remembered as I was driving to tweedlove, I had to pull in to a lay-by to bid on them !

Tbf they are a lot lighter than the pictures, more baby blue

Which just about goes with my bike

kimbers

Well I’m loving the P2s , what did you go for OP?

2023-05-31_09-05-54

2023-05-31_09-04-26

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.