• This topic has 32 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IA.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Lily camera. Big WANT!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes I know it’ll be gimmicky and hugely expensive but I’d love one!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGcH0Bk3hg[/video]

Drac

It’s pretty cool isn’t.

£325 on a pre-order special and not guaranteed to be released.

There’s alternatives out there that are ready.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ZzpEJFJcs[/video]

cookeaa

Apparently it’s $999USD (~£650), so I’d expect it to be ~£1k when it arrives here…

Still want one…

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I was going to post this the other day. Doesn’t it look amazing?

There’s alternatives out there that are ready.

Sure, but did you see the Lily video? Even old people can operate it with only minimal input/assistance from hip-to-the-tech youngsters.

Drac

Yes, I seen it the other day and thought it was very impressive.

wrightyson
    Free Member

At 500 quid I reckon I’d be tempted. More tedious videos for mrs ws to watch 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

More like £400 on pre order after VAT.

Consider that’s only a little more than the top go pro, its a bargain. However 20min is a bit useless, 3 DH track runs maybe, and im guessing it won’t work in the woods?

robdob
    Free Member

I have never been interested in GoPros or drones but my WANT level has just shot up into outer space!!!

dmorts

However 20min is a bit useless, 3 DH track runs maybe, and im guessing it won’t work in the woods?

My thoughts about 20 mins runtime too. After that you’ll have to just lug it along. Plus I don’t think it can avoid trees, poles, other lily cameras etc.

Still, a few model iterations down the line and I think it’ll be a great toy to have

wrightyson
    Free Member

400 you say. Mmm even more tempted especially if we could get it through the business and subsequently get the vat back. Yes I’d be using it to photograph roofs and stuff 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even if it was only usefull on open tracks it would be cool. I imagine guides/chalets/companies in the alps buying them to film clients.

Actually the battery issue may not be so bad, Im guessing 5A is an android tablet charger? If so there must be plenty of emergency charger type gadgets that would do it, and per run you probably spend 3x longer in the uplift van/que than on the trail so plenty of time for topping it up.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Need to check local rules and regulations carefully – eg:

“French law stipulates a maximum of five years in prison and a 75,000 euros fine for unlawful use of a drone. Since the legislation went into effect in 2012, around 30 legal cases involving drones have given way to criminal punishment. Almost all of the offenders were slapped with small fines, but one person earned a one-year suspended prison sentence. In his case, he had flown a civilian drone dangerously close to a helicopter.”

crazy-legs

As you say, a few years down the line when these are cheaper, lighter, more powerful/longer battery life, they’ll be the new must-have MTB accessory.

The next iteration of that (for me anyway) should have programmable point to point flight, a “flyby” function (transition from lead mode to follow mode for example) and a 3D mapping function.

Fascinating field, really wish I’d done electrical/robotic engineering and computing and got into it at the start.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Company called the 3dr have some of the advancements you mention above already. They are also hampered by short battery life though.

MSP

Meh, I am waiting for Boston dynamics to come out with their camera equipped “follow me” trail big dog.

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5-qgouniaY[/video]

the-muffin-man

Being an old fart, I’m not easily impressed by much these days, but these look awesome. Waaay better than a wobbly head-cam!

Onzadog
    Free Member

What’s the UK law governing drones then?

Northwind

Onzadog – Member

What’s the UK law governing drones then?

I think mostly you have to worry about the laws of gravity and conservation of energy as it flies into a tree.

slowoldman

My worst nightmare. Out on the hills surrounded by other tosser’s drones.

JulianA
    Free Member

Bugger! Something else that I want… As if I didn’t already have enough things on which to spend money.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s my 40th in 13 days….

Drac

According to your link there’s no real issues if you don’t fly it in a built up area.

bensales
    Free Member

Got to admit, I’m erring towards this camp. I think the tech is amazing, and my first thought was want.

But then I thought of the scenario in a few years, walking up a popular peak somewhere and every bugger is being followed by a drone. It’d be horrible. It was bad enough walking up Nevis and following a bunch of ‘students’ who absolutely needed to have their bluetooth stereo on full whack all the way up.

jam-bo

wrightyson – Member
    It’s my 40th in 13 days….

You might get it by your 41st….

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can see these being like children. You’ll think yours is the best thing in the world ever but everyone else’s will be a pain in the arse.

footflaps

I can see these being like children. You’ll think yours is the best thing in the world ever but everyone else’s will be a pain in the arse.

Good analogy!

aracer
    Free Member

I suppose it depends how close you want to be to the person you’re filming – closer than 50m breaks those rules. I also wrote “some” and fairly sure there are issues with autonomous drones in general apart from that.

epicyclo

This is going to make skeet shooting far more fun… 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

According to your link there’s no real issues if you don’t fly it in a built up area.

Also, as some people eluded to, you couldn’t fly it anywhere near trees or any other obsticals presumably. so it’s use is a bit limited to open water, mountainsides, playing fields etc

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

I couldn’t agree more! Equally, if I see one on piste, I may just pole it in to oblivion.

JulianA – Member
    Bugger! Something else that I want… As if I didn’t already have enough things on which to spend money.

Am about to highlight two things you may wish to spend money on….via email!

IA

sure there are issues with autonomous drones in general

You can only fly them if there’s a pilot watching basically with hands on controls ready to take over.

And as above, this would be an “unmanned surveillance craft” and subject to restriction in where you can fly it and how close to people, structures etc.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Lily camera. Big WANT!!’ is closed to new replies.