• This topic has 19 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Del.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Light question. Small, like a joystick but with a tight beam. Ideas?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m looking for a light ideally self contained. Joystick or slightly bigger but not much more. Must have a tight beam pattern out to 50/60 yds. The less spread the better. Anything off the shelf or a DIY job? I’m new to this lighting dealio. So any help appreciated.

MrGreedy

*Pulls up a chair*

Del

this one’s been recommended as fitting the ‘same size as joystick’ criteria, but a tight beam out to 50-60 yards? that might be a bit subjective/impossible!
    edit: would defo be interested to hear how owners get on with them.
    biccy?

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those Yezl XMLs winging its way from China to me. My neighbour’s got a Joystick so I can do some beamshot comparisons, although his Joystik is a couple of years old now so not latest generation.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers for link. Can be slightly bigger than that. Say 8″ long max. Ideally with a remote cable switch compatibilty so the switch can be say 12″ away.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

In fact size isn’t as important as weight tbh. I don’t mind if it’s redbull can sized as long as doesn’t way a ton. Or if it’s a head unit and battery separate as long as cable can be of coiled type.

CountZero

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2655
    Not cheap, and certainly not sure about a remote, but as bright as you could possibly want. About 1200 lmn.

CountZero

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062
    Cheap as chips, $18, very small, very bright, again probably not what you’re looking for, but the neatest, most useful little torch I’ve used. More than bright enough as a bike light around lanes using a Twofish Lockblock.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That maelstrom is a beast, but waay outta my budget 🙁

onewheelgood
    wysiwyg
    Free Member

SKU Product Name Quantity Price Line Total Options
    01025 Superfire Gun Mount Pressure Pad ADDON
    – + $3.99 $3.99
    05297 Glass Optics for Flashlights (28mm)
    – + $1.90 $1.90
    05955 26.5mm Aluminum Reflector Drop-in Module Set (without Emitter)
    – + $2.76 $2.76
    12000 Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers
    – + $2.06 $2.06
    16240 UltraFire WF-501B Cree R2-WC 250-Lumen LED Flashlight Black (1*18650/2*CR123A)
    – + $12.70 $12.70
    33912 AC/Car Lithium Battery Charger for 18650 (100V~240V/12~24V)
    – + $8.39 $8.39
    42153 ASUCELL Rechargeable Protected 3.7V 3000mAh Lithium 18650 Batteries (2-Pack)
    – + $14.70 $14.70
    00000 Registered Air Mail ##
    Package Tracking Service. $0.01 $0.01

DIY Option, going for this lot.

CountZero

Wysiwyg, that’s a pretty comprehensive shopping list. I’ll check that out when I’ve got some time. Re: Maelstrom; pretty damned impressive, and I’d love one, but the lottery will have to cough up first.

stevemorg2

I’ve got the XPG version of the Yezl – it’s very bright works well – I haven’t done a back to back comparison with a joystick but I don’t think it’ll be far off

M6TTF
    Free Member

What sort of burn time dies the yezi give? Can you get decent mounts for it or have you modded something to suit

higgo
    Free Member

M6TTF… if your username is also your car reg number you don’t live far from me (Or I’ve seen you driving round town a few times, anyway).

You’re welcome to have a look at mine when it arrives. I’m hoping it’ll fit in a Joystick helmet mount. Email me through profile if you’re interested.

Del

they do fit the joystick mount apparently – info gleaned from another thread on here.

Del

and i just pulled the trigger on one too. chap at work has the current joystick ( well, last year’s now, i guess ), so will compare.

higgo
    Free Member

Mine has left Hong Kong.

stevemorg2

The Yezl is a perfect fit in a joystick mount – that’s how I use mine and it works very well.

Del

received my yezl on monday – pretty quick delivery. excellent. it’s the 5 mode one. low/med/high, slow, and ‘eppy’ flash modes.
    about as bright as my triple XPG lumi conversion, but smaller spot compared to that. probably won’t be able to compare to my mate’s joystick for a while, as i’ve heard today that he’s injured himself, unfortunately.
    i’m very pleased with it. for the money it’s stonking.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Light question. Small, like a joystick but with a tight beam. Ideas?’ is closed to new replies.