• This topic has 2,500 replies, 263 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,501 total)
  • Legal advice please – cancelling a new car dispute
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Still confused. Who tried to buy a car from ling. Geordiemick. His brother in law , his mate or some other person ?

Poopscoop

trail_rat – Member

Still confused. Who tried to buy a car from ling. Geordiemick. His brother in law , his mate or some other person ?

Summary:

OP, with help from family member, wants to lease a car. Changes mind during his legal cooling off period.

Ling says he can’t and must pay her £500 plus Vat.

OP seeks legal advice, Ling is wrong. OP is legally allowed a cooling off period.

Ling (leasing company) goes off to FB page echo chamber to bad mouth OP for being correct.

Andyrm goes all “clinical and factual” combined with episodic potty mouth outbursts against the OP.

Kind of like Spock and Bernard Mannings love child.

Thats it so far.

Im of to flounce for a bit.;)

chilled76
    Free Member

Can anyone summarise whats happened between page 12 and now?

Tiger6791

We’ll see…….. 😀

Poopscoop

chilled76 – Member

Can anyone summarise whats happened between page 12 and now?

No.

Carry some of the burden for goodness sakes man!

Poopscoop

Tiger6791 – Member

We’ll see……..

Ok, ultra short flounce as it happens. Waiting for taxi. 😉

chestrockwell

OP, with help from family member, wants to lease a car. Changes mind during his legal cooling off period.

Ling says he can’t and must pay her £500 plus Vat.

OP seeks legal advice, Ling is wrong. OP is legally allowed a cooling off period.

Ling (leasing company) goes off to FB page echo chamber to bad mouth OP for being correct.

Andyrm goes all “clinical and factual” combined with episodic potty mouth outbursts against the OP.

Kind of like Spock and Bernard Mannings love child.

Thats it so far.

You do miss out the fairly fundamental reason the thread has been so ace though.

The op came on here using full internet anonymity to ask a question. Unfortunately he was “liberal” with the actual truth and was unprepared for some sort of online witch doctor to magically appear and call him out. He then dug deeper, and deeper, and deeper. Then, the all seeing eye was also brought to task and outed as a pretty nasty piece of work. Meanwhile the op continued to dig until he had convinced himself that he was blameless and had even picked up a little webpage guardian angel to look after him.

It all got a bit standard STW for a few pages before some professionally offended posters started getting upset. That’s about up to date I think?

Had the op said something like “Long story but my bil wants to pull out of a lease deal within 14 days but is being threatened with a 500 + vat bill” I doubt we’d be here now.

Well done all, keep it up.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So have *I* bought the car then ?

funkmasterp

At this stage I’m not sure if I owe somebody £500 +VAT, or own a lease company and / or a Skoda. I think Lings website has done a number on me

trail_rat
    Free Member

*shut up and take my money*

RustySpanner

chestrockwell

😆

martinhutch

The op came on here using full internet anonymity to ask a question. Unfortunately he was “liberal” with the actual truth and was unprepared for some sort of online witch doctor to magically appear and call him out.

If he hadn’t badmouthed the company by name in the OP (or anywhere else), he would have got 3 pages of advice and pisstaking, and just ended up with the hump, but not a riled-up Ling after his blood.

Rookie error.

Rusty – but who’s The Naked, and who’s The Dead?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

crosshair
    Free Member

If I had to recommend one of the main protagonists for my son to be more like, it would certainly be Ling!

With a bit of Chinglish and a lot of balls, she’s come here and carved out a technicolour niche in an otherwise dull and bland corner of corporate BS and boring motors.

If the law doesn’t allow her to protect herself against flakey time wasting wannabes then the law is the problem IMO 😀

I can only applaud Ling for tackling it head on. Passion is an undervalued asset these days.

I’m glad the OP has gained succour from his apparent legal high ground- the mental boost might help him sort his broken moral compass out.

So points to Ling, game to Mick, Set and Match to STW for giving us all a great thread!

rickmeister

And on that bombshell….

fooman

Is Ling a Monday to Friday kind of gal? This thread isn’t the same without a daily dose.

aracer
    Free Member

Running a business with scant regard for consumer law? Well I suppose it’s something to aspire to.

outofbreath
    Free Member

the fairly fundamental reason the thread has been so ace though.

The op came on here using full internet anonymity to ask a question. Unfortunately he was “liberal” with the actual truth and was unprepared for some sort of online witch doctor to magically appear and call him out. He then dug deeper, and deeper, and deeper. Then, the all seeing eye was also brought to task and outed as a pretty nasty piece of work. Meanwhile the op continued to dig until he had convinced himself that he was blameless and had even picked up a little webpage guardian angel to look after him.

It all got a bit standard STW for a few pages before some professionally offended posters started getting upset. That’s about up to date I think?

Nice summary. You missed out the superb “Downfall” meme and quite a good Haiku, but apart from that spot on.

emotionally led posts and responses are a sign of poor emotional self regulation, which is something I abhor in real life and online.

You got slated for this but I find emotional thinkers the bane of online debate. If everyone stuck to fact and reason things would be worked out far quicker with far less animosity and far less frustrating logical fallacies. As Hans Rosling said, “Too much Word, not enough Excel”.

You’ve really not grasped the art of the flounce have you Poopscoop.

In spite of an astounding amount of practice.

If I had to recommend one of the main protagonists for my son to be more like, it would certainly be Ling!

That’s where I am on this. If two of our resident lawyers are correct the lack of mention of cooling off period in the T&Cs is a criminal offence. …But so is speeding. [1] But when you compare the two protagonists, if I rent a car from Ling, there’s a good chance I’ll get a car. If I sell a car to the OP there’s a high chance he’ll dick me about.

One question: I thought the 14 day cooling off period starts on the day of delivery of the product (to put people on the same footing as people who are actually seeing the product in a store.) Why in this case does the 14 day period start from the order – no finance was agreed so it can’t be that.

[1] Before people howl derision – check – it’s legislated for in Criminal law.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m completely disinterested in this thread and therefore I’m flouncing. Bye.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Hi, I’m back.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Is Ling a Monday to Friday kind of gal? This thread isn’t the same without a daily dose.

She just doesn’t have the commitment needed for this site. She started out so well, then like a damp loveheart, fizzed to nothing.

Poopscoop

outofbreath – Member
    Hi, I’m back.

As Hans Rosling said, “Too much Word, not enough Excel”.

Hmmm…

crosshair
    Free Member

Running a business with scant regard for consumer law? Well I suppose it’s something to aspire to.

As opposed to someone who enters into an agreement with zero regard for the business owner trying to make a living.

Consumer law should be to protect vulnerable people not promote Lilly-livered flakery.

I’m not saying either camp is the be all and end all 😆

aracer
    Free Member

In this case there’s no delivery of a purchased product, because it’s a service being bought, the consumer never owns the car.

You raise an interesting point though – whilst these regulations clearly apply to contract hire, it seems they should also apply to buying a car if you do it all remotely rather than visiting the dealer. Is it possible to buy a car without ever visiting the dealer and have it delivered to you?

theotherjonv

while I too generally subscribe to the ‘logic and reason’ style of arguing (not that i always manage to stick to it) to dismiss emotional is wrong. Some people are emotional thinkers, and the world’s a fine place because of it. Intuition, and leaps of reasoning don’t generally come from logicians, and to fail to take the rough with the smooth cuts off a great source of argument and problem solving. Learn to tolerate, accept and welcome another thought style and you’ll be a better thinker because of it.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

and never trust a salesman

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this great thread but just wanted to post on it. This will go down in history as one of the greats.

Thanks op it’s been emotional.

outofbreath
    Free Member

You raise an interesting point though – whilst these regulations clearly apply to contract hire, it seems they should also apply to buying a car if you do it all remotely rather than visiting the dealer. Is it possible to buy a car without ever visiting the dealer and have it delivered to you?

Yeah for sure, and in that case there’s no doubt you have 14 days after delivery to return your slightly soiled, now second hand car. (See Piston Heads for a few examples of people doing that.)

Sucks to be an online car supermarket.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it possible to buy a car without ever visiting the dealer and have it delivered to you?

Yes, I bought a new car after playing a couple of brokers off against each other then buying it. Paid a deposit, car was ready about a month later, paid the balance and then it was delivered to my house on a truck.

aracer
    Free Member

My heart bleeds for them.

boblo
    Free Member

geordiemick00 – Member
    – Geordi mick is off the classifieds selling list..
    This sort of comment annoys me more than anything Ling has said to be honest. Unfounded pathetic comment. Anyone who actually knows me….

Unfortunately the impression (rightly or wrongly) gained here doesn’t support this. The impression gained is of someone serially dodging commitments made. This coupled with the belligerent, brazen and triumphalist attitude displayed once you’d identified your get out jail card (after clearly looking to dodge your commitments in your post 1) just makes you luck untrustworthy. I/we don’t know you so this of course may well not be true.

What I’d really like you to stop (please) is the belittling of Ling’s contribution to the process. ‘She only fills in a form/rings a dealer’ etc. This may or may not be true but not so long ago, you were happy to pay her £30k to do this for you. Plus, it’s easy to boil anyone’s contribution down isn’t it?

Sales, thats just issuing a price from a price list, bit of discount to grease the wheels then filling out the order form for the office. Easy init? But you were Billy Big Bolleaux in Sales so I’m sure it’s much more complex than that…

nealglover
    Free Member

This may or may not be true but not so long ago, you were happy to pay her £30k to do this for you

Or. More accurately, he was willing to pay a Dealer £10.5k (via a finance company)

(Ignoring for now his partner/BIL/pal)

Neither the Dealer supplying the car, or the finance company are Lings Cars.

boblo
    Free Member

So why was he talking to Ling’s at all? Rhetorical question (obv).

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Unfortunately the impression (rightly or wrongly) gained here doesn’t support this. The impression gained is of someone serially dodging commitments made

PMSL. I cancelled a van sale because the salesman tried to hide the pathetic balloon figure of a van, so I bought a different one elsewhere, so yes I backed out for good reason….

I bought the wrong tablet, wanted advice and after that advice I messaged the seller who then cancelled the sale and sold me the correct one.

In the last 5 years alone I’ve bought SIX new vehicles worth over £120k, didn’t back out of any of them and my ex is still driving one of them.

Bought 4 motorbikes in 3 years, not backed out of one of them.

Bought 7 high value cycles in ten years, no issues.

Sold shit loads on this classifieds, not a single issue.

Everyone wants to hang their hat on the fact that I’m backing out of his deal cos my potential new business venture has been delayed.

In doing so it exposed someone sending out contracts that do not have a coooing off period.

Ling was making such a big issue of it being a £30k car. We weren’t buying a £30k car, it was a £10k finance deal… what finance deal in living memory isn’t subject to a cooling off deal??

The reason I’ve turned up the heat is because (as others have noticed) she point blank refuses to answer questions and insists on being libellous towards my mate/BIL/proposer…

She’s gloated about her paperwork being approved by trading standards yet won’t prove it.

I’m getting tired of justifying myself to people who want to take the moral high ground because they’ve never had moments in their life when they’ve made a bad decision but that doesn’t distract us from the fact someone is doing business in a very dubious manner and when challenged manages to make the issue a popularity contest and wholesale avoids haltingly obvious evidence she’s breaking the law.

But this has gone way beyond a legal related post and just a blank canvass for people to spit vitriol from their keyboards…..

Poopscoop

Not sure if posted before but like or loath Ling, WELL worth a read.

A guys experience of Ling and legality.

Now, the guy is trying to buy an, erm, “unusual” car but it shows Lings total and utter disdain for any trading laws whatsoever… and an utter contempt for anyone daring to disagree with her in any shape or form. She even accuses the potential customer of self promotion!! I mean, REALLY???

Im sure some people will still read positives into the link above, just m0ore great marketing? Sod any semblance of professionalism. I mean why bother? Just post a picture of a chicken instead to keep the punters happy or whatever??

Just a little taster of the thread above:

Now, use stunts to promote yourself as much as you want but don’t complain when someone wishes to test if your promises are even vaguely genuine.

Hell, at least be friendly in your reply, certainly not resort to name calling within your first few words.

Hey, just saying.

aracer
    Free Member

Because he likes her banter, obvs.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

[/url][/img]

Pretty much the flavour of all the replies to questions I’ve asked on Facebook…..

aracer
    Free Member

Wasting the time of leasing companies again? You monster.

Poopscoop

Right, just flouncing off to watch a movie. Wall Street, seems apt, not sure why?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 2,501 total)

The topic ‘Legal advice please – cancelling a new car dispute’ is closed to new replies.