Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Leaving virgin and then getting the wife to rejoin
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Discovered I was paying (literally) twice as much as a new customer on virgin. Phoned up to try and get a better deal – after an annoying 40 minutes i got to someone who could bring it down to 50 quid from 67 (new customer pays 33). They basically implied (quite unsubtly!) I should leave, then get my wife to rejoin.

Anyone done this? Did you wait until the service had ceased before placing the new order? Ideally i’d want to minimise the time i had no internet for!

zippykona

We did it.. Tried to get them to give me the introductory prices and not bother with all the new kit and swapping over. No go, so lots of new boxes and halved my bill.

Think we had no internet for a day.

simon_g

Don’t need to go that far – give notice to cancel and you’ll be badgered with calls in the following days for better deals.

zippykona

We had the calls, still couldn’t beat the new deal.

doomanic

Whatever you do, make sure you use Quidco to get cash back as well.

thenorthwind

Just me that expected more from the thread title?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

No, me too!

Poor form guys.

nicko74

+1. The thread title was intriguing; the thread did NOT match up.

Ewan
    Free Member

Ha ha – sorry everyone! Here’s a funny twitter thread to make amends: https://twitter.com/frizfrizzle/status/1220384074184974338?s=12

Zippy Kona – did you get them to rejoin whilst the notice period was still running?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just me that expected more from the thread title?

FFS!!!
    I was hoping that, just once, STW was going to be worth the effort of clicking the mouse….. but alas not so.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ha ha – sorry everyone! Here’s a funny twitter thread to make amends:

Sod off Ewan….. too late you’ve ruined my day!

😉

catfood
    Free Member

We were going to do that but the bloke on the phone said it was by address and we’d have to wait three months to re sign up, I reckon he may have been playing us, we got rid of the stuff we dont want (lots of the telly channels) and dropped the speed to 100 meg rather than 200meg, I think we now pay about £33 or so.

Still a bit shonky tho.

Ewan
    Free Member

catfood – 33 is good! i just wanted the bog standrd bb and what the free telly channels are. Did you get that offer in a call after leaving?

johnjn2000

@catfood, did you notice any difference dropping to 100 from 200? I am in the same position paying 55 quid for 200 BB and landline with no TV package.

zippykona

Zippy Kona – did you get them to rejoin whilst the notice period was still running?

We were on a month to month contract so we just started once the month was up.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah so are we. The funny thing is that when they sent paper bills i just filed them in b for bin. They changed to email bills to save themselves 5p and I actually looked at it!

catfood
    Free Member

We got the £33 by my OH threatening to leave, it’s actually £38 per month but we got a free month and a couple of months at a lower rate, it averages out at £33 over the course of the contract. I haven’t noticed any difference between 100 meg and 200 meg particularly tbh, that’s the usual Netflix, streaming music, a teen gaming upstairs etc.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Don’t need to go that far – give notice to cancel and you’ll be badgered with calls in the following days for better deals.

Not in my experience. Worst customer service I’ve had in a while, no interest in even reducing my bill even by £1. I’ve been with them since NTL days (with a couple of short breaks) and I just said ok I’ll leave.

Went to sky with 40mb speed, can watch 4k videos so no problems and the Sky box makes the virgin box feel like an Amstrad CPC464.

Ewan
    Free Member

They phoned back. Offered 41 quid, so took it for the sake of an easy life. Ridiculous process.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Bit late now but it’s easy, as someone who does this with Virgin every year.

First of all, cancel. Don’t bother trying to get a better deal out of them on that call. You’ll get calls from two different numbers after that. The first one will offer a better deal but don’t take it. The second call will be from somebody who will say it’s the last call you’ll get from them. They can offer better deals. Have a look for the best price and say that is where you’re going. They will match or beat it. Take it. Job done without changing suppliers or any installation, etc. Do it again when the contract is up.

catfood
    Free Member

OH checked and it is indeed £33.50 a month coming out then goes up to £38 after a year I think, as I said this included a month free and a couple of further months at a lower rate, so averages out at £33 over the course of the contract.

She went through to the department where you ask to leave, not customer services, told them she wouldnt pay more than low £30s as she could get similar price and speed with Sky and BT, Virgin said they couldn’t do that price, it was only when she said forget it I’m leaving he got a bit more creative with price and we got that deal as it was obvious Mrs C was prepared to walk.

CountZero

Had a leaflet through the door this week telling me that there would be a lot of work going on digging up pavements etc, as Virgin were bringing the internet and phone services to our neighbourhood.
    Thanks guys, I might have given you serious consideration twenty years ago, or whenever it was Virgin started their internet services, but you’re shit out of luck as far as I’m concerned now. Perfectly happy with my BT internet service, and my O2 mobile service, and my Sky service.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Leaving virgin and then getting the wife to rejoin’ is closed to new replies.