Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Leaving lockon grips behind…….
  • VanHalen

You’re putting the end of a narrow metal pipe into the soft, fleshy palm of your hand and then riding down a mountain. Guess why that hurts. It’s nothing to do with the grips.

regardless of the bars width, shifter location and brake location i do this by default and always have. dunno why. it feels wierd to ride inboard on the grip? i guess it comes from years and years riding too small bars. i also only like certain bars as any with with too much back or upsweep hurts my wrists/hands.

I’m on oury push ons and they are the best so far – also only £5 a pop from planet x! . i also like the Longnecks on by pumptrack bike and some fat specialized single lock-on ones i bought at BPW years ago but the oury are nicer – i can even ride them gloveless with no hand fatigue. i trim the outside and inside flanges. oury are doing a V2 with a single lock on which i’ll try if they ever import them.

i dont know why people like thin grips and its not like i have massive hands – i just find thin grips give me massive callouses and blisters. and outboard lock ons are hte work of the devil.

DezB
    Free Member

I use Santa Cruz Palmdales, they only have a lockring the inside and are pretty squidgy. Big (XL/XXL gloves) handed.

I did get pins & needles in my left hand after this morning’s ride. But that was on drop bars 🙂

mudfish

My 2p
    Lock on Grips, yeah, I’ve been riding them since their introduction too. Late 80’s maybe.
    If you have to hold on hard at all, they can feel pretty hard, I agree. I even tried those “shopping bike”: things with. palm flap from Ergon, yuk.
    So, for a few years I tried to find a push on I liked. (before Renthal made the extra tackys)

ESI never suited me too fat, too fragile, and mushroom BMX grips (I used Ruben Alcantara’s signature Fly Grips take on those for ages, the new ones are pretty. nice, no flared outer ends and a lovely length at 160mm.) Wet no gloves? I think they’ll get slippy.

Recently tried the promising looking Chromag Semenuk Wax (supposedly “tacky”) and as soon as my (bare) hands became sweaty I was slipping, even without rain – bit fat for me too at about 31mm (I think). I’ve read that the Spanks aren’t good in the wet gloveless either, sad as they look like great grips with a nice endcap.

Extra Tacky Rental Traction grips are quite a good workaround for sore hands / wrists and became my go-to a few years ago, it’s a very clever design those fluted ribs, amazing even when wet. The black haps syndrome does wear off and the stickiness is something you get used to it’s worth it!
    Best without gloves IMO – because they hold your hand!
    If you insist ion gloves there are less tacky (harder wearing) versions that would do I think.

It’s easy to underestimate how much hand and forearm stress comes from having to grip hard to keep hold on rough ground. My thumbs are getting arthritis and the Tractions were a massive help.
    [along with daily decent quality Krill oil capsules, I get mine here, it’s a good source: https://www.lovelifesupplements.co.uk/collections/all#oid=1023_1 – search “Krill”)

I’m happy with the lock on nature of the Extra Tacky Tractions because they feel soft enough and when you don’t need to hold on hard you don’t “feel” the inner tube of the lock on design. But, I still don’t like the outer end collar, I do so wish they’d make a single collar version like the Spank above.
    [Anyone tried cutting one collar off a Rental Traction grip?]
    They wear fast and even with 820mm (Vibrocore) bars, I find the outer edge of my palm touching the collar once that bit starts to wear.

Renthal’s Extra Tacky push ons are great too, wired properly. And hands are OK right at the ends. But they aren’t as good as Extra Tacky Tractions without gloves once wet because they don’t have the clever flutes.
    Now I’m tempted to try the PNW Loam grip, No end collar is nice and they are supposed to be tacky.
    Worth a go? Anyone compared to the Extra Tacky Renthals?

Maybe the DMR Raceday Deathgrips would compare with Renthal Extra Tackys for tackiness?

New grips! nearly as tempting as new tyres. The grass is always greener.

stay safe on those trails
    NeilB

mudfish

Hey check out what Nico does to his Oury grips here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/down-the-rabbithole-nico-vouilloz-on-bike-setup-and-design.html
    So what are the little touches then? The little things that you’re a maniac about on your bike, because if we start at the cockpit and work backwards.

Well, first I have some wrist problems. Crashing, again and again. So one of my wrists is really bad, so I really pay attention to the grip I put on my bike, and I need something with quite a thick pattern, But I don’t like big grips, I always rode with a small diameter. So to compensate, I cut the Oury below, because I have the wider section on top that is quite thick. But I reduce a bit the diameter for my finger below where I don’t need a big grip.

Nico's modified Oury grips
    and
    Nico Oury Modifications

Bigmantrials

@mudfish I have used Renthal Ultra Grippy push ons and now have PNW Loam Grips, I would say the ultra grippy still have the slight edge on grip, but it would be quite close.

PNW are pretty comfortable for lock-on grip, had some Oneup grips to try before these, they have bars across the back similar to the Renthals but I found that the outer end of the grip moved too much for my liking, although I have heard they have altered the design of the inner tube since, reducing the size of the cut outs, allowing for more plastic and less twisting. The concept of the Oneup grips is good, so it would be interesting to see if the more recent design is better than before. They were quite grippy, but I am sure I read they have made them softer again too…

Quite happy with my PNW grips at the moment so doubt I will change soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Leaving lockon grips behind…….’ is closed to new replies.