Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Leaving lockon grips behind…….
  • solarider
    Free Member

I have been mountain biking since way back when (32 years this year). When lockon grips first came out, I switched and haven’t looked back….until now.

I have been getting pins and needles in my hands. Tried raising the bars, lowering the bars, lengthening the stem, shortening the stem. Tried different widths of bars. Nothing.

As a last resort, having noticed that I spend quite a bit of time on my ‘ghost bar ends’ I thought about changing the grips so that I was holding onto something squidgy (sorry for the technical term) rather than the lockon collar.

So I tried a set of ODI Longnecks. Wowswers! I had forgotten just how good slide on grips are! The usable part of a lockon grip is a good 2cm smaller than the equivalent length slide on grip, and obviously hard at either end (or even one end in the case of single clamp lockons). I have fairly large hands, and even griping a lockon dead centre I am touching the collar at either end.

The best £10 I have spent in a long time in terms of the immediate impact on my riding comfort and control. Unless they roll and become and absolute slippery mess in the wet, I won’t be going back.

Unless anybody does a particularly long lockon……now there’s an idea. Why do we have different frame size, saddle widths, stems, handlebars and of course gloves when (generally) there is only one grip size (135mm)?

Anybody else gone ‘old school’?

alpin
    Free Member

Have been using silicon grips for the last four or five years.

They don’t get all sticky like rubber grips. They don’t need replacing every few months as they don’t wear out.

Only negative is that they are a pain to remove. Helps if the levers on your bar can be removed without having to remove the grips.

seb84

I used renthal push ons wired and glued on so they’ll never move.
    More comfortable than any other grip I’ve tried and the ultra tacky are gripper than hell and get better the more sweaty your hands get.

sirromj

Yes have them on a rigid mtb daily commuter and a street trials bike. ODI longnecks on the latter, harder Lizard Skins on the former (for durability after quickly killing ESI foam grips).

On the hardtail however have some lock-ons and I’ve been riding it a lot lately.

Could go either when when I replace them. Might have to actually assess the situation again as given up worrying about it! End up sanding down callouses while watching Ali Clarkson videos either way!

Also particularly long lock on – ODI Longneck XL Grips

darkslider
    Free Member

I used 150mm Superstar lock on grips for a long time while they made them, shame they ever stopped.

endomick
    Free Member

There will never be a lock-on as cushy as a slide on mushroom grip, seths bike hacks has a great method involving cable ties in the grip for installation, it makes them easier to slide on then just pull the ties out, works better than hairspray, alcohol or spray paint that some people swear by, fuse wire keeps water out but I’ve never needed it.

sharkattack

I had a similar revelation with ODI Longnecks. I’ve got big hands and used to ride mostly DH and suffered with really painful fingers. I just don’t get on with a thin piece of rubber attached to a plastic tube.

I’ve had Longnecks on every bike now for the last 5 years at least. I find they stick absolutely solid on the slightly textured finish of a Renthal Fatbar so I’ve never had the dreaded spinning grips that use to happen before lock-ons.

I’ve currently got the ultra tacky Renthal push ons and they’re very similar. Smaller diameter but very soft and sticky. No finger pain or cramps in the Alps last year. Can’t wait until they wear out and I can get some more Longnecks though.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Lock ons are a hard plastic tube covered in a thin layer of rubber.

I run Oury ATV grips and renthal ultra tacky

See also BMX grips, nice and long and cushy

mariner
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Chromag range?

solarider
    Free Member

Looked for the Chromag Clutch grip (a lot) but no stock anywhere to be found. That would have been my preferred option. Still the same thin coating of rubber over a hard plastic tube though, so I am quite glad I couldn’t find any. Loving the old school ODI mushroom feel.

dc1988

The only issue I have had since moving to push ons is that at uplift venues such as BPW and Revolution where they put a strap on your grip, they always end up moving.

scotroutes

I spend quite a bit of time on my ‘ghost bar ends’ I thought about changing the grips so that I was holding onto something squidgy (sorry for the technical term) rather than the lockon collar.

Cane Crake Ergo bar ends.

lairdburkart
    Free Member

ODI longnecks here also.
    I too have been at mtb ….for ever. I used to use bmx grips. Which are basically same. Even mushrooms cut to fit sti’s.
    My freak hands hang off the end of a lot of lock on grips.
    Is it all the years of pounding make the hands widen?
    The mind has been widened also so that’s good when the body starts to crumble and sag. Crumble and sag. I think I need ant shirt with that on for the skate park!

Rubber_Buccaneer

renthal push ons wired and glued on so they’ll never move

Love the Kevlars, nice combination of comfort and grip and still last a decent time.  I don’t bother with glue just wire and they have never shifted

at uplift venues such as BPW and Revolution where they put a strap on your grip, they always end up moving

Not even uplift straps have shifted mine but I do wire them in four places

johnhe

I’m so glad that I don’t have a issue with lock-ons. I can’t imagine doing without them, and going back to worrying about my grips sliding around, and all that pita in getting them off eventually.

jimmy748

Renthal Push on’s either Super tacky or Kevlar, fitted with brake cleaner then wired, I just don’t like the feeling of a tube over a tube with lock-on’s.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Lock ons are a hard plastic tube covered in a thin layer of rubber.

ODI Rougue excepted.

That’s my go-to, I put a set of ODI Yeti on the commuter that I had spare and they are awful, exactly as you describe. The old Kona grips were far superior. I’ve been considering the usefulness of lockons for a while now.

Ergotec GP1s are another level though, I got my missus a pair and now feel the need to get myself some too.

Northwind

The new ODI Floats are the absolute bollocks. Basically like an ESI, except durable.

dc1988

The only issue I have had since moving to push ons is that at uplift venues such as BPW and Revolution where they put a strap on your grip, they always end up moving.

I have ODI Floats and ESI Racer’s Edges on all my bikes now (a random mix of the two, not even sure what bike’s got what) and I haven’t had this issue. I’ve had the grip twist a little bit, but not really move.

docgeoffyjones

I binned off lock on grips as my little fingers kept going numb, slip on grips just feel nicer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive got some silicone grips on my bike (siliconez?), Ive got big hands so even odi rogues Im basicly holding two metal collars with my palm on some rubber between them. I went with the thicker versions.

I tried uberbike XL grips but despite my big hands didnt really get on with the large diameter, although it kinda works if youre used to thick gloves and want to ride without them.

longmover
    Free Member

I ditched dual clamp grips for single clamp and they made a huge improvement.

kiwijohn

Spank Spikes are the perfect grip.
    spike.
    The rounded end cap is more comfy than a lock on (Chromag) & stops the end of the rubber getting torn up (Ergon) when you crash.

kerley
    Free Member

See also BMX grips, nice and long and cushy

That is what I use, currently Odyssey Keyboards which are very squidgy and comfortable and also 165mm long so I can move my hands around. I don’t have brake or gear levers to worry about and love having really long grips.
    My grispsnever move so don’t need lock-on.
    – Slide on with hairspray to install
    – Slide down an old spoke halfway down grip and pour in a bit of water to slide off

qwerty
    Free Member

ODI Attacks & Renthal grip glue 👌

Shackleton

For those with big hands I don’t think that you will find a better grip than the Sensus Meaty Paws.

Bez

worrying about my grips sliding around, and all that pita in getting them off eventually

I’ve always found that buying dual compound grips (ie with a denser material against the bar) and fitting with WD-40 works great. I’ve never had them move; removal takes a little patience, a tiny Allen key to gradually slide under them, and more WD-40 into the gap it creates. Admittedly my level of rad is more Repack than Rampage, but it’s worked for me for as long as I can remember.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I tried a set of the Renthal Super Tacky push ons, which I wired in place & had no issues with at moving at all & they felt amazing.

But, they lasted less than a week in Whistler. I run the edge of my palm off the end of the bars and the end of the grip by the plug wore down to the bar, which was annoying. hands we’re pretty much black by the end of a ride where they basically fell apart under them.

Single ring lock on grips have been my savior in recent years, the older ODI ones with a locking at both ends were brutal, literally bruising my palms on big days out. I would like to try something more like the Renthals again, but one that lasted.

Can you wire on the Longnecks?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Core strengthening exercises? have you put on some lockdown timber?. I used to use ODI rogue when I was a biffer, 4 stones lighter and nice thin SC palmdale grips are just as good.

tall_martin

I use chromag wax.

I use super glue and wire. It is a pain swapping them, but they are comfy, durable and cheap.

They spun occasionally with wire. I saw an advert for the renthal push on that came with glue. The tube of glue looks exactly the same as super glue.

So lighter, cheaper and stronger but more hassle.

seb84

Renthal kelvar last much longer.

PrinceJohn

Used lock-ons when they first came out – they solved a problem.

But at the cost of comfort – properly installed push on grips never move. Whenever anyone asks the grip question the answer is always ODI Longneck

sharkattack

Just a thought but if you’re riding with your hands over the edge of the bar I don’t think you get to complain about any grip not working. You’re not using them properly!

You’re putting the end of a narrow metal pipe into the soft, fleshy palm of your hand and then riding down a mountain. Guess why that hurts. It’s nothing to do with the grips.

Have you noticed the recent explosion in very wide handlebars? Maybe get some that are wide enough that you can have your whole hand on the cushioned rubber bit so you don’t have to clench onto the most unsuitable part and have your soft meat pummelled so hard.

It’s like choosing to ride with your feet only half on the pedals.

martymac

The cheapest maximum hold hairspray is what you need to make sure grips never move.
    If you need to remove them, use a thin allen key and more hairspray to get them off.
    I prefer ergon grips with the little wings, but tbh I hadn’t considered that it could be the fact that lock on grips have much thinner rubber than a slide on grip.

benp1

I’ve took ESI grips off my bars the other day so I could swap in some carbon loops. The ESI grips have been on the bike since the end of 2014 and have been ace. I only swapped to try the carbon loops

But I used mine with Cane Creek Ergo bar ends, which really are good. Took the grips off with cable ties poked down and WD40

Crag
    Free Member

I went back to push ons several years ago, could never find a grip that I didn’t end up hating.

I now use Lizard Skins Chargers on all my bikes, you can pick them up for less than a tenner. Never had problems with them sliding around.

Lock-ons are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist IMO.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just a thought but if you’re riding with your hands over the edge of the bar I don’t think you get to complain about any grip not working. You’re not using them properly!

You’re putting the end of a narrow metal pipe into the soft, fleshy palm of your hand and then riding down a mountain. Guess why that hurts. It’s nothing to do with the grips.

Have you noticed the recent explosion in very wide handlebars? Maybe get some that are wide enough that you can have your whole hand on the cushioned rubber bit so you don’t have to clench onto the most unsuitable part and have your soft meat pummelled so hard.

It’s like choosing to ride with your feet only half on the pedals.

Thanks – if only I hadn’t thought of moving my hands as an option!

It actually does have quite a lot to do with the type of grip – lock ring sits right on the outer edge of the palm, hence why single long ring grips exist & have basically become the ‘go to’ over the last few years, because a lot of people do exactly the same. A quick flick through any race recap of gravity riders shows this is ‘normal’.

Already running 800mm bars, which are plenty wide enough, but thanks 🙂

sofaboy73
    Free Member

what do people mean by “wiring” their grips, struggling to get a mental picture?

sharkattack

Next time I go out I’m going to have my feet hanging off the sides of my pedals all day. Just so the sharp, outer edge really digs in to the sole of my foot.

Then I’ll come on here and ask what flat pedals I should buy to stop my feet from hurting.

sirromj

what do people mean by “wiring” their grips, struggling to get a mental picture?

Wrap a couple of loops of lock wire around the grip, one each end, and twist tight to secure them. Some grips come with grooves in which to run the wire.

sillyoldman

The new lock-on Longnecks address the comfort and bar narrowing issues that outer collars cause. Super soft compound – feel lovely. Shorter than slide-on longnecks, but not bad at 135mm
    http://odigrips.com/store/bmx/bmx-products/longneck-lockon-135mm

These are also really nice. http://odigrips.com/store/mtb/mtb-products/elitelock-ongrips-2318
    I’ve got the thinner Elite Flows but may get these next.
    The Elite line up have asymmetrical cores to give more cushioning where you want it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Leaving lockon grips behind…….’ is closed to new replies.