Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Learner Driver Insurance
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as stand alone insurance for learner drivers?

My daughter turns 17 this weekend and we’ve booked driving lessons for her but want to give her the opportunity for additional practice in our cars.

My insurance policy will not allow any one under 25 to be added to the policy, never mind a learner.

I assume there are separate learner policies that you can take out for this scenario that cover the learner?

Any recommendations / ideas ?

the-muffin-man

We used Marmalade to insure my daughter on my wifes car. Worked well and not too expensive…

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance

martinhutch

Try Adrian Flux – they were the most competitive for us.

mashr

My insurance policy will not allow any one under 25 to be added to the policy, never mind a learner.

Is that a definite? Learners are far lower risk than young drivers with a licence

dc1988

As above, learner drivers are considered very low risk. Recently passed drivers however…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Is that a definite? Learners are far lower risk than young drivers with a licence

Yep. A definite.

Aviva via Quotemehappy.
    Only found out when I went to add her on to my Insurance.

DezB
    Free Member

These were pretty good – https://www.achoiceinsurance.co.uk/

A few options, no black box when they pass. Does depend on the car though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve been using Veygo (admiral) for my 3.
    They all seem fairly similar on price with the difference being ease of booking.

mashr

Yep. A definite.

Aviva via Quotemehappy.
    Only found out when I went to add her on to my Insurance.

[MaxSTW] well obviously your car is faster than it needs to be then. Buy a Berlingo. Making progress is bad[/MaxSTW]

nuke

I’ve been using Veygo (admiral) for my 3.

Veygo for us too. Tended to do it it 12 weeks lengths but will do shorter period over Christmas when he’s back from uni although he has a test booked just before Christmas

poly
    Free Member

PP – similar boat here, Direct Line won’t cover him on my car (but would on some other cars). After a bit of a prolonged and unhappy phone call with them and some back and forth about things which were said on a previous call (recording) they called me back and suggested Marmalade (as linked above), I don’t think that was an official recommendation but it did diffuse the situation. I’ve gone with them, but he’s not crashed yet, so no idea how a claim would turn out…

poly
    Free Member

3 months with Marmalade, which is invalid the moment he passes his test, is nearly as much as my annual policy!

CheesybeanZ

Friend used Black Diamond for both his daughters.
    No black box required.

eskay

We used Collingwood recently on a rolling month by month basis.

matt_outandabout

A couple of friends have used Marmalade for this.

Aviva via Quotemehappy.

Aviva (direct and existing policy) quoted me quite happily for learner and newly passed driver. Although that was just for lolz on the price of 17 year old, passed the day before on the V70…

We’ve found that Admiral have been good value for both learner and new driver. Plus no black box on what is a shared between 4 drivers car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Learner Driver Insurance’ is closed to new replies.