Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 264 total)
  • Learned today that my friend was hospitalised
  • toys19
    Free Member

toys19

The point I was trying to make that not all cyclists are law abiding angels making selfless sacrifices to save the environment.

Yeah and the point I was making is that this is one, only one, cyclist out of millions. So your point is just completley insignificant.

toys19
    Free Member

warton
    Free Member

Just when one can of worms closes, another opens. this thread really has the potential to go a long way.

FWIW
    most days I cycle to work. sometimes I get the metro, i very rarely drive (sometimes whem my wife doesn’t need the car to go to her school and I have errands to run after work) I am an adult, I make choices. My choices in this instance are not affected by the environment or whether I may knock someone off their bike.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Warton – in that case I will just add that without the massive subsidy that car drivers get from the taxpayer it would be even more expensive to drive – as it should be. Taxes raised from motoring are much lower than the cost to the country of motoring. when you figure in all the costs such as injuries and deaths, damage to buildings, enforcement of motoring law to say nothing of the value of the land used for parking – and of course there is the uglification of our cities with all the yellow lines and so on in a vain attempt to get motorists to obey the law

*dons fireproof suit*

molgrips
    Free Member

I will just add that without the massive subsidy that car drivers get from the taxpayer

Hehe.

Peyote
    Free Member

My choices in this instance are not affected by the environment or whether I may knock someone off their bike.

You’re not alone. Though sooner or later this maybe a minority perspective.

*dons fireproof suit*

Shouldn’t you wear that whenever you come on STW? Bit like a Polisman never going out without a stab vest?!

The motor-lobby are strong here…

McHamish
    Free Member

So your point is just completley insignificant.

In your opinion…which you’re entitled to of course.

The motorcommon sense-lobby are strong here…

slight typo there… 😉

Peyote
    Free Member

The motor/common sense-lobby are strong here…

slight typo there…

No typo, and the two aren’t necessarily mutually incompatible, no matter how much certain members of either group would have any of us believe to further their causes/bolster their arguments. 😉

McHamish
    Free Member

You’re right of course.

I was being a little belligerent. But hoped my winking smiley face highlighted that I was kidding!

warton
    Free Member

TJ, I don’t see what your post has to do with mine? If I stopped driving into work once a month what will change? nothing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

warton – I thought I would open a further can of worms to bait my hook with. No bites tho 🙁

warton
    Free Member

aah, very good. I nearly commented on your yellow lines point too 😀

McHamish
    Free Member

Anyway…what tyres for commuting to London?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aparantly its these McHamish

anything else makes you either poor or a lentil weaving yoghurt muncher

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I will just add that without the massive subsidy that car drivers scots get from the taxpayer it would be even more expensive to drive be this self righteous

FTFY

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What a lot of people are missing here is that it is possible to live near work. Or, if you don’t like the area you can get a new job. You can be completely selfish and drive to work of course. It’s all about choice you see. A lot of people choose to be selfish, it is a sad fact of life.

molgrips
    Free Member

What a lot of people are missing here is that it is possible to live near work

Define near.

Or, if you don’t like the area you can get a new job

Something tells me you were fortunate enough to find a job that you like near a place in which you want to live.

Would you really take a job you hated so that you or your family could live somewhere nice? Or all move to a crappy area for the opposite?

j_me
    Free Member

200+ Die in South US Tornadoes
    Selfish feckers should have moved somewhere else.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

No, i chose a job that i could commute to in 20 minutes by bike. I always have, it’s choice you see.

molgrips
    Free Member

But what if you couldn’t find one?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

You always can. It may involve a pay cut, but quality of life comes first.

molgrips
    Free Member

Let me get this straight. You can ALWAYS find a job?

I suppose I could work at Asda. I wonder if that would improve quality of life for me and my family?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Yes, they may get to spend more time with their wonderful father.

phil.w
    Free Member

You always can. It may involve a pay cut, but quality of life comes first

What an ignorant thing to say.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, they may get to spend more time with their wonderful father

Who’d be suicidally depressed, and we’d have no money to do anything.

This is hypothetical by the way, my plans are somewhat different.

McHamish
    Free Member

I think we should just all bow down to GG’s incredible logic and insight…I for one have accepted that I’m wrong and he’s right and have quit my job today.

Not sure how my wife will react, we’ll probably have our house repossessed in a few months due to mortgage arears. But I plan to refer to this thread when I’m trying to stop the bailifs taking our belongings and forcing us out of our home.

I’ll print it out before i leave. As I can’t afford to buy a printer anymore.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

The point is, it is always possible to have a lifestyle change. I’m sure you are a good father molgrips, you can always decide what direction your life takes. I dont see how that is ignorant phil w, it is anything but. Sometimes the truth can be painful i suppose.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

S

McHamish
    Free Member

Who’d be suicidally depressed, and we’d have no money to do anything.

Yeah, but you’d get all the out of date stuff from ASDA first. Your kids can enjoy stale doughnuts dressed in their worn clothes grubby little faces from not having soap (although you could steal some from the ASDA staff toilet – but make sure you’re not caught as you’ll lose your dream job).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Sarcasm is so funny McHamish. Did it get you where you are today? I bet you could power your car on it.

McHamish
    Free Member

The point is, it is always possible to have a lifestyle change. I’m sure you are a good father molgrips, you can always decide what direction your life takes. I dont see how that is ignorant phil w, it is anything but. Sometimes the truth can be painful i suppose.

Have you ever considered becoming a lifestyle coach?

I think you should start a cult….but I’m not sleeping with you. Unless you buy me dinner (I can’t afford to eat out as I’ve quit my job).

GlitterGary
    Free Member

SnobbishTrackWorld strikes again.

McHamish
    Free Member

Sarcasm is so funny McHamish. Did it get you where you are today? I bet you could power your car on it.

Will it help when I join your cult of poor ‘happy’ people?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Everyone is a comedian hamish. It’s just that not everyone is funny.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GG – just give in. Some people just don’t want to hear it.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I suppose so TJ.

McHamish
    Free Member

Everyone is a comedian hamish. It’s just that not everyone is funny.

True. Although someone somewhere might be laughing.

But I think then you’re talking absolute twaddle, so I guess not everyone agrees with you.

phil.w
    Free Member

I dont see how that is ignorant phil w, it is anything but. Sometimes the truth can be painful i suppose.

It’s ignorant because you are assuming to know all the facts about everybodys situation and that all people can make the changes you propose.

In reality it’s not always possible, some people can’t afford to live where they work and on the flip side there are no jobs* where they live.
    *not even lower paid ones.

irc

toys 19 – “Anecdotes do not make science. The stats are:
    people killed by cyclists every year. 1 last year, zero for most other years.
    people killed by motor transport 3000.
    Every time you post that link we should post the 3000 links for each of the road dead. “

If you are going to quote stats it’s better to be accurate.

2222 road deaths in 2009. Nowhere near 3000.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/adobepdf/162469/221412/221549/227864/642978/rrcgbmain2009.pdf

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I just don’t care anymore. I’m off to ride my bike. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘Learned today that my friend was hospitalised’ is closed to new replies.