Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Lancaster dwellers. Tell me about your manor…
  • binners

I know there are a few on here from that neck of the woods. I once worked there for a few months, but that was yonks ago. I remember really liking the place, but I don’t really know it, as such

We’re going to a (BC Camplight) gig on Sunday afternoon in Lancaster Library , which should be an…erm… interesting experience, so we’re going to make a weekend of it and stay over Sunday night, and possibly Saturday.

So given that we’ve got a free evening and a Hotel booked in the centre, where would be good to eat? And what are the best pubs and bars?

Cheers in advance, you lovely lot

perchypanther
    Free Member

Forton Services?

binners

They do actually have a Greggs there, don’t they? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

perchypanther
    Free Member

Plus it looks like a spaceship….well, a bit.

binners

Theres a Greggs in Lancaster centre where I used to get my lunch. They used to do cheese and chorizo pasties which were bloody gorgeous. I’ve never seen them anywhere else and when I mention them, neither has anyone else. People have told me I must have dreamt then, but they were definitely real

THEY WERE REAL, MAAAAN!!

postierich
    Free Member

Tomaso to the forum

binners

I once got really drunk in Lanascter university students union and in an ill-advised attempt to cook something when we got to my mates flat, ended up setting fire to his kitchen

True story

tewit
    Free Member

Don’t know many pubs in Lancaster but really like Ye Olde John O’Gaunt. Went to see BC Camplight at the Hebden Bridge Trades club last October and they were superb.

richardkennerley

Saw Drenge at Lancaster library, it’s not a bad venue! No booze though, if that’s important. Ye olde John o gaunt is right opposite the library and The Robert Gillow does a decent beer selection. Atkinsons should be visited for a coffee. Not got a specific food recommendation though

sarawak
    Free Member

Where is Barnes when you need him?

cb

Golden Lion used to be a favourite…28 years ago! It served proper Theakstons. There was another with arched cellars but can’t find it on a search anymore so probably gone. Good place to go to uni, really enjoyed living in Lancaster.
    EDIT – the cellars bar was the Merchants

binners

Tewit – we were at the Trade Club gig in Hebden. It was brilliant! Saw him at Gorilla in Manchester a couple of weeks before. There are 6 of us going up to Lancaster on Sunday. We’re proper fan bois. Not got this much into a band for a long time.

Thanks for the recommendations folks

tomaso
    Free Member

Pubs worth a look in order of my boozing preferences:

The Merchants 1668 – just up Market St from Library on other side of ring road. Vaulted cellars, chilled, not too bright and good selection ales. Not bad for pub grub.

Stonewell Tap – down Market St from Library, hang a left and near bottom of pedestrianised bit just after MacDonald’s turn right and it is on the left. Really good beer selection and rammed with craft ale tw@£try. Often have live bands or other good music. No feed and the toilets tell you it is a drinkers pub.

The Borough – is down Market St from library and turn right and then left down St Ffrances passage alley by Specsaver and keep going to end of road where you cross ring road into Dalton Square where the pub is. Good beers and the food is decent pub grub.

The Accidental Brewery – on the road parallel and behind the Borough – Bulk Road. Very non descript door that is for Uber Techs computer repairs, go through this and up a wee stair case to the micro brewery. Expect beard stroking and wallet emptying craft ales.

The White Cross – big canalside pub with mahoosive ale selection. It is a very easy walk from the accidental brewery. Does descent pub grub.

The Sun – from the Library go up Market Street and first right along New St and then left on Church st and you are there. Good beer, nice pub and food is good.

The Three Mariners – this is down near St Georges Quay. Great beer, oldest pub in Lancaster and food is descent basic pub grub. You won’t see many sailors.

Food wise it depends what you fancy.

Blue Moon and Siam Garden do good Thai food.

Full House Noodle bar on Common Garden Street above the Chinese supermarket serves fully authentic Chinese and Malaysian food for not much. It daters for foreign students and not English people.

Simply French on Quay for French gastro dining.

Bombay Balti is about the best curry option.

Cafe Istanbull on Market Street does great sit down Turkish food – cheap as.

The Sun Cafe and Sun Pizza on Sun Street are good.

Dirty drunken face filling options include Go Burrito next door to the Stonewell Tap which is amazing, but if you go large you won’t rock to the band and will need a lie down. Also lots of Kebab takeaways of which Ados is best.

For Atkinsons coffee go to either the Music Room in Sun Square or the Hall on China Street.

maccruiskeen

I’ve never seen them anywhere else and when I mention them, neither has anyone else.

Shhh

binners

Cheers Tomaso! That’s pretty comprehensive! Should keep us out of mischief. Or not 🙂

duncancallum

The pub.

Not any pub but the pub. Go have a look at the murial on the side at least

But it’s a top voozer

postierich
    Free Member

Winners Surprised Tom has not offered to show you around his manor!

tomaso
    Free Member

I am serving a life sentence of DIY at the moment. And anyway, twos company, threes a crowd and all that.

bob_summers

Golden Lion used to be a favourite

Not from Lancaster but my band used to play there a lot, with Dr & the Crippens etc, back in the music coop days. Golden Lion, Yorky Bar.. saw loads of bands at the Sugarhouse (Stone Roses iirc), the Whale Tail was about the only place in the country that did a vegan breakfast in 1990! Remember a few folorn trips back up the M6 in our old renault 4, coming down off acid.

Hadn’t been since those days until last summer I got marooned there thanks to Northern Rail. Went for a couple of pints on me tod expecting the worst but it seemed like a pretty good place to live.

tomaso
    Free Member

Golden Lion is still lively with band nights and good funk night too.

Whale Tail is still knocking out veggie and vegan food.

ransos
    Free Member

They do actually have a Greggs there, don’t they? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I’ve never forgiven them for buying out Birkett’s.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Lancaster dwellers. Tell me about your manor…’ is closed to new replies.