Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Labour PPB
  • julianwilson
    Free Member

Way far off the far fetched-ness of both Labour and conservatives billboards war around general election time.

And various “fire up the quattro” 80’s gags that backfired somewhat on labour iirc.
    Oh and the little britain ones, both sides had a go at that too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ohnohesback
    Free Member

Well with NuLab reverting to type, promising yet another Crack Down on alcohol, smoking, and ‘unheaithy’ food in their manifesto kite flying, they are bound to try and divert attention away from themselves. They ought to be in with a chance of winning, given what the ConDems have done, but typically they’ll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

MoreCashThanDash

I was impressed at Labours plans for rent control being announced at the launch of the local and European election campaigns.

So, no useful policies at local or European level then, eh?

If we’ve got the politicians we deserve, whatever it was I did, I’m really really sorry

ratherbeintobago

If we’ve got the politicians we deserve, whatever it was I did, I’m really really sorry

The big problem is that, with our current electoral system, unless you live in a marginal constituency, your vote doesn’t actually count. As I have never lived anywhere other than a safe seat, I’m not sure why I bother voting. The form of PR used for the Scottish Parliament seems to work; doesn’t seem to be a good reason why it wouldn’t work for Westminster.

/soapbox

footflaps

Negative campaigning, doesn’t say what Labour stand for. As far as I can see they are just as Tory as the Tories these days. Tony Blair killed off for good any trace of traditional Labour.

enfht
    Free Member

Tony Blair Economics killed off for good any trace of traditional Labour (with a bit of help from Tony)

soobalias
    Free Member

only caught a glimpse of it, but they just said dont vote for ‘them’ cos ‘they’ are shite.

which is fair, a bit of a waste of a broadcast but fair

thing is they are all shite and not a single one of them can think of a reason to vote for them, tories relying on “well at least we didnt oversee the recession so ‘they’ are worse than we are”
    makes me think the lying cheating selfish bastards are just in it for themselves.

pointless independent votes it is.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The big problem is that, with our current electoral system, unless you live in a marginal constituency, your vote doesn’t actually count.

But if the 30% who didn’t vote actually turned up there might not be any safe seats. Compulsory voting first.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The hunting line was quite funny!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Generally speaking these days voters aren’t interested in policies, they are much more interested in protesting and complaining.

Political parties put a lot of time, effort, and money, into establishing what voters really want to hear. Party political broadcasts are tailored quite precisely to suit the results of these surveys.

Most votes that will be cast on the 22sd should be seen in the context of a protest vote rather than a positive vote in favour of a particular party’s policies.

I didn’t see today’s Labour Party broadcast but I did see yesterday’s UKIP broadcast and I was quite frankly shocked at the inane drivel offered by a succession of UKIP party members who were paraded in front of a camera, with little gems such as “I’m a UKIP councillor because UKIP councillors are the hardest working councillors”.

No policy was revealed in the entire broadcast and I’m sure that what was offered in its place was exactly what potential UKIP voters wanted to hear – the people behind the broadcast will have done their homework.

Sadly all this represents the further Americanization of British “politics” where presentation, image, marketing, and negative campaigning, takes the place of actual politics.

So welcome to the new age of Anti-Politics where, like Christmas voting turkeys, people proudly celebrate the fact that they have no interest in politics, whilst simultaneously complaining loudly about being shafted by the political elite.

Northwind

ratherbeintobago – Member

The big problem is that, with our current electoral system, unless you live in a marginal constituency, your vote doesn’t actually count.

And even if you do, you’re just choosing which flavour of Tory you prefer. Unless you live in Scotland, that is.

Thing is… It’s actually kind of inevitable in a 2-party system. It’s just like guessing a number, if the first person guesses 4 and you think it’s 10, you’re daft to say 10- you should say 5. Likewise, if you’re the left wing party, it’s just pragmatic that instead of being actually left wing, you’re exactly 0.00001mm left of the right wing party. That way, you still get all your own voters- as they’ve got nowhere else to go- and you get more from the middle too. Go genuinely left and all you do is lose votes.

And at the end of the day, your principles gain you nothing if you lose. So it’s terribly cynical but it’s no wonder most politicians consider their most important job is to be elected. After all, you can’t deliver your policies from opposition. And once you’re elected, your most important job is to be reelected. Soon, actually delivering your policies falls off the radar entirely. You’re Ed Milliband and you don’t even remember who you are.

Not original thinking by any means but I can’t see any flaw in it, and it’s bloody miserable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Labour PPB’ is closed to new replies.