Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Labour Conference.
  • nickc

Of Paul Staines (the man behind Guido Fawkes)

he described his politics as “Thatcher on drugs”. He relates that at college he was a “right-wing pain in the butt who was more interested in student politics than essays”, who went on “to work in the various right-wing pressure groups and think tanks that proliferated in the late eighties”.

his various companies have helped Boris Johnson on his social media output, are registered in off-shore tax havens.The only thing reliable about him is that he’s honest about the fact that he’s a right-wing shit stirrer.

AlexSimon

Indeed. And just to reiterate – jambalaya just said he thought they were “Reliable, they have a pop at both Labour and Tories equally.”

kimbers

I think whats really worrying the RW press is that Labour are coming across as the grown ups, Tories now copying their transition idea & with policies like killing the colossal waste of PFI.

because they know whats coming….

Zombie May is going to come out on stage to the Tory party conference to forced applause and gritted teeth,
    with Borris & the other vultures circling like skeksis

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the colossal waste of PFI.

Most of which was incurred by…..oh. Hold on. Erm.

Awks. As the kids say.

binners

Awks. As the kids say.

As Corbyn and John McDonnell have always been so effusive in their praise of Gordon and Tony’s ‘economic miracle’?

Given the choice, I reckon they’d have the pair of them in the dock Flashy. For Crimes against the People, in front of their newly founded Peoples revolutionary Court 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Awks. As the kids say.

It was a Tory idea, enthusiastically embraced by New Labour. I’m not sure why that’s awkward for Corbyn & McDonnell.

theteaboy
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Awks. As the kids say.

It was a Tory idea, enthusiastically embraced by New Labour. I’m not sure why that’s awkward for Corbyn & McDonnell.

Shadow Health Sec said on the Today programme that we needed all those lovely shiny new buildings as “in the 90s many hospitals and schools were still in Victorian buildings”. He went on to say that most PFI contracts did give value for money but a small number were costing too much. His proposal was to go through every PFI contract out there and assess VFM. When asked how long that would take, he agreed it’s years, rather than months, so would take way longer than a Parliament to actually derive any value.

Seems it’s another meaningless headline policy

binners

It’s going to look like a comprehensive 20 year plan compared to any ‘policy’ you’ll be hearing next week

Northwind

AlexSimon – Member

One of the most biased sites around. It’s like the right’s version of The Canary.

It’s really not much like the Canary; it’s the UK’s Breitbart.

kimbers

When asked how long that would take, he agreed it’s years, rather than months, so would take way longer than a Parliament to actually derive any value.

imagine planning long term rather than just looking to make yourself look good for the next election !!

RustySpanner

There won’t be any policy next week.

None.

Just an anti Labour media shitstorm.

Have you joined the Liberals yet Binners?
    🙂

I bet you could do a nice picture of Vince sucking a Werther’s and trying to look like he can still remember where his slippers are.

binners

There won’t be any policy next week.

None.

Just an anti Labour media shitstorm.

I actually think that they’re now so busy fighting with each other, they’ve forgotten about the labour party that they failed to win a majority over a few months back

theteaboy
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    When asked how long that would take, he agreed it’s years, rather than months, so would take way longer than a Parliament to actually derive any value.
    imagine planning long term rather than just looking to make yourself look good for the next election !!

But McDonnell said that they only put in the manifesto what they will deliver within the term of the Parliament. There’s setting a vision and including a policy promise and he’s not clear about the difference.

ransos
    Free Member

His proposal was to go through every PFI contract out there and assess VFM. When asked how long that would take, he agreed it’s years, rather than months, so would take way longer than a Parliament to actually derive any value.

Eh? PFI contracts are often 25 years or more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The quote I gave coems from the Head of Equality and Race Relations Committee. The Jewish community pretty much unviversally described Shakrabati’s “report”as a whitewash. The media didn’t ban Jackie Walker or setup a meeting where attendees compared Israel to the Nazis (something which is always done to cause maximum offence) nor attempt to normalise “anti-Zionism”. Corbyn could have put all this to bed by publishing the report into Oxford University Labour Club.

[video]https://youtu.be/te684rBHzOA[/video]

Labour’ policy idea to nationalise the utilities at something other than the market price will guaranty a significant legal challenge. Do you think the French Government is going to allow major French companies to be so significantly under paid without a significant responce ? What about all the pension funds who own Utility shares ?

As for credit cards a cap on interest rates does make sense (it exists in the US), it has to be very carefully managed or it will just have the effect of significantly reducing availability to those who need them most. Labour’s idea of a cap on total repayments exists no where I am aware of and makes no sense imo.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Run on the Pound and Capital Flight

Surely McDonnell must understand to even say such a thing is idiotic in the extreme. Anyone with half a brain would have no assets invested in uk markets with McDonnell in charge of the economy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41393021

DrJ

Surely McDonnell must understand to even say such a thing is idiotic in the extreme. Anyone with half a brain would have no assets invested in uk markets with McDonnell in charge of the economy.

Because he should have known that dishonest commentators would misrepresent his words? Meanwhile, remind us when was the last run on the pound….

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Indepedent. Damn The Right Wing Press.

Supposedly a speaker said you should be able to question whether the Holocaust took place.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-anti-semitism-jeremy-corbyn-holocaust-denial-jewish-brighton-party-conference-israel-freedom-a7968231.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Meanwhile, remind us when was the last run on the pound….

Ohh so many to choose from. …….

Just go with the last two. The one about 24hours before Cameron resigned. Or what about the one under Major that lead to 15% inflation. If only they’d had a plan rather than a catchy tune to hum whilst leaving their resignation press confrence?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    I think whats really worrying the RW press is that Labour are coming across as the grown ups,

Be serious. It’s snake oil and populism. Make major saccharin policy statement – to great hurrah – and hide on the details. PFI being the latest example. McDonald says one thing, contradictory details v quickly follow, then the smokescreen.

The brilliant (genuinely) ability of labour to be anything other than grown up when it comes to social media – shows how well they understand social media and how to target those without experience of checking the details. The Tories are crap at that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@thisisnot a Marxist speaking ofnationalising companies at historical non marlet share prices is going to scare the living daylights out of any pension fund manager. I wonder how McDonnell will stop Hedge Funds shorting utility shares ahead of a GE when he is not even Chancellor, will he be begging the Tories to do that for him ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Haven’t seen full/any coverage but what was the comment on scenario planning re fall in £?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

thisisnot a Marxist speaking ofnationalising companies at historical non marlet share prices is going to scare the living daylights out of any pension fund manager. I wonder how McDonnell will stop Hedge Funds shorting utility shares ahead of a GE when he is not even Chancellor, will he be begging the Tories to do that for him ?

[Not being serious, or am I]
    But you keep having a go at Gordon for making the opposite mistake!

And it’ll just make up the shortfall of the more recent underpriced Royal Mail shares.
    [/Not being serious, or am I]

allthepies
    Free Member
    kimbers

If only the brexiters had the foresight to plan for such an eventuality…

Like I said Labour coming across as the grown ups with a plan

The right wingers worried because they know the Tory conference is going to be a farce, a puppet leader encircled by enemies and only one policy- brexishambles !

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Network Rail is already a ‘nationalised’ company and look at how well it does – the majority of problems are caused by signal failures (in this age), etc.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haven’t seen full/any coverage but what was the comment on scenario planning re fall in £?

He basiy said they were being sensible and had contingency plans incase the market got spooked by a leftist win.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Network Rail is already a ‘nationalised’ company and look at how well it does – the majority of problems are caused by signal failures (in this age), etc.

Bit like saying the majority of IT failures are computer related?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers the 13% odd sell off in the £ isn’t a run imo. We are only really back at 2009 levels vs the € and the world didn’t end then. You are quite right though Cameron did nothing to prepare for a Leave result. At least Carney was on the ball. Having a Marxist running the economy of the world’s 6th largest economy would be unprecidented, certainly would scare the S out of me personally and professionally – how to protect myself ? As I said before by 2023 I’ll almost certainly be retired so probably easier to scoot

As for Tory conference Brexit is the issue of the day / next couple of years so it makes sense for it to be centre stage unlike in Brighton. I have no doubt they’ll try and roll out a few new ideas elsewhere but Brexit is the issue for 2017/18/19 ..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Short RBS – easy 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well going long ceratinly didn’t work out

molgrips
    Free Member

We are only really back at 2009 levels vs the €

And the $? That one that oil is priced in?

ransos
    Free Member

Network Rail was formed because its private sector predecessor failed spectacularly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Details details @molly 😉 I will admit I chose my point of reference deliberately. My view that will retrace back against the dollar too, anyway oil is at 50 now not 100 so not so much of a problem. If we can make shale work then it will be even less of a factor

Labour don’t seem to be able to think of stuff that won’t cost gazillions, student loans (£100bn / £10bn pa), investment bank £250bn, nationalising utilities (no way imho they can do that below market value) plus of course all the public sector pay rises

molgrips
    Free Member

In nearly 20 years of visiting the US it’s never been this low.

The public investment bank thing – presumably any return on that investment goes back to the public purse?

I wouldn’t worry if I were you anyway Jam – the Tories will simply sell it all off again in their next government.

kimbers

Labour don’t seem to be able to think of stuff that won’t cost gazillions,

I know, investing in the future, crazy stuff…

If you want to talk about political follies that will cost the country billions…
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-paul-krugman-zero-chance-britain-better-off-eu-leave-single-market-custom-union-exports-trade-a7965871.html?amp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Kimbers – would you like to post the one line summary on how Paul assesses the cosy?

any return on that investment

😀

kimbers
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

since you seem reluctant, here we go

“It’s not a huge cost … but it is a cost,” he said.

As I said on other thread – some perspective

kimbers

“It’s not a huge cost … but it is a cost,” he said

Since you seem reluctant to put a number on it he said ~2% of GDP which is 40bn? Think of all the industries Labour could nationalise with that!

They should write that on a bus or something

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Labour Conference.’ is closed to new replies.