Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Kona Mash-up
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

Is anyone else going?
    The weather forecast looks very poor.
    Committed, so see you there!

antennae
    Free Member

I'll be there! Technical time… bring on the rain… Welsh Slippery Rock Riding Championships

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm sure the rain won't hurt the proven-bomb-proof timing system…

steveh

Indeed proven to fail twice out of two times so far!

nickegg
    Free Member

Nice Ahwiles!!!

Timing issues on the last two Mash-ups is exactly why i won't be doing this weekends one!!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Will wait and see what happens at this one and maybe enter next summer.

In principle the event sounds brilliant but yeah, getting the timing right is kind of fundamental.

ddmonkey

Yep will be there! Doing it all in a day, will be on the road at 6am…

Simon

I'll be there. Travelling down tomorrow from Yorkshire.
    Current weather forecast is light rain Fri and cloudy on Sat.

Bit concerned about the timing thing but they'll be able to get it right at the third attempt…………won't they?

Timing issues and weather aside there are a few of us going so it should be fun.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i wish the event well, i really do, but for my money i prefer the rally-style enduro format that avalanche use.

the mash-up format allows you to ride around at your own pace, starting each stage when you get there / when your ready.

In practise, this is little different from just riding around with your group of mates, only this time you’ve paid £30 for the privilege .

with the rally-enduro-format you’ve got the excitement of the qualification, the count-down, and the pre-determined start times ensured a healthy crowd of baying hecklers at the start of each stage.

i appreciate that this is only my opinion, and i'm sure that many people love the mash-up.

ddmonkey

Yep weather look OK ish for Saturday at the moment. I'm looking forward to the chance to get a good days riding in with the bonus of being able to see how fast I ride some sections and how that compares to others. I'll be doing everything blind cos I've not ridden there before so I'm not too fussed about being competitive or anything.

robinbetts
    Free Member

I'll be there, heading up tonight in a few hours. Two riding mates have weaked out, so I'll be going stag.

krag
    Free Member

After much delibiration I'm gonna go. Got a room booked in Afan lodge tomorrow night so hoping to make the most of the party at the drop off!

BTW, if anyone has a spare ticket for the dropoff let me know as my missus wants to go.

robinbetts
    Free Member

krag, I just called the drop off and reserved a place. Give them a call.

krag
    Free Member

robin, have you got a number for them? Dropoff website only has Ian's mobile which I tried earlier and couldn't get through to.

krag
    Free Member

No dramas, just spoke to Ian and got my name down.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Haha, the good old Kona F*** up! great idea in theory, hope they've got the timing sorted now.

antennae
    Free Member

well even the lashing rain couldn't ruin this one. spot on timing and prize presentations straight after the ride! a top day out.

hope they get the results up on the website just as speedily 🙂

What's the problem with the timing ?
    It seemed OK to me until my third time up the climb when I didn't hear a beep as I rode over the start mat.
    It didn't bother me as I had slowed down by then anyway, but I wouldn't have been too happy if I hadnt heard a beep at the end of my first and fastest climb.

And you don't get a lot for £30 and another £2 for parking do you ?
    If Spam Biking can put on events for £12-£18, then why do Kona and Merida charge £30 or so when they're getting advertising out of it as well ?

And another thing.
    What's all the fuss about the Drop off cafe closing ?
    £6.50 for a baked potato and salad.
    I'm glad I took my own food and drink.

antennae
    Free Member

did you have a good ride today graham? enjoy the trails? meet some good people? race your mates against the clock? i'd say that was worth thirty notes.

i got a massive heap of chilli with my jacket potato and salad for £6.50… and awesome to have hot food served up to you after a chilly wet end to the ride.

props to the organisers for putting on a top event, and ironing out the timing glitches. the format works.

keen to try the avalanche enduro too next year though.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good event.
    I just thought that the idea of sponsorship was that Kona and er… that bike magazine, whichever one it was, put money in to the event, not took it out.

But then, I know nothing about organising an event like this, so I can't really comment on why it cost £32 to do the Kona Mash Up and £18 to do the Spam Biking September Blast.

I haven't been in a cafe for years. Is £6.50 for a baked potato & salad normal these days ?

DrP

Graham – pretty much normal!
    You don't want to know how much a 'normal' glass of wine costs nowadays either – hand 'em a fiver and they'll ask for more…..

DrP

boldermansam
    Free Member

IT WAS RUBBISH WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME!!!!

antennae
    Free Member

were you at the same event boldermansam?

i had a top day. good riding, jostling for position with mates, nice atmosphere on the trails…

for what it's worth, i was doing the technical so missed on the early closing july drama.

starting to think i was the only one who loved it!

graham does have a fair point though. it is a bit pricier than the avalanche cup and similar events…

SpeedyG
    Free Member

Oh come on Graham, lighten up, and who said you had to pay £2 for the car park aswell? I didn't, thought it was included!
    I thought it was great, the food was exactly what you needed after an event, great days riding and no probs with the timing. Oh and I'm afraid the Drop Off will remain very much operational!

peteimpreza

How many bikes got stolen this weekend?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Mate came 4th and was well chuffed!

Oh come on Graham, lighten up

But I'm a miserable old git, I'm supposed to moan about everything.

robinbetts
    Free Member

I thought it was a great event. I've not been to many but thought it was pretty well organised, good atmosphere, don't mind paying £30 for that ( was camping so didn't pay any extra for parking).

Graham, don't know if something fell off your plate, but I normally get a huge slab of lasagna with the jacket and salad for £6.50, and that's pretty damn reasonable. Long live the drop off!

… that band in the evening was pretty comical though! Didn't know drums and a bass playing along to pre-recorded tracks was classed as a live band.

antennae
    Free Member

results are out:

http://www.konamashup.co.uk/

timing still doesn't appear to be flawless, sadly. did two runs of the black and only one showing up in the raw results. a mate hasn't even been placed because neither of his black run times have come through.

glad to have finally done a decent time down the darkside, though 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Kona Mash-up’ is closed to new replies.