• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Knocked off on commute and wheel now pringled
  • nickc

What’s the best way to straighten it out enough to get me home?

weeksy

what wheel ? What type of bike ? how bad ?

5lab

assuming it’ll be binned soon, I like to put it flat on the ground (out of the frame), put a foot on one high point (the other bit of the wheel on the floor is the edge of the hub) and push down with your foot on the opposite point. might need some bouncing to get it to move, check after each bounce. Can get a wheel reasonably straight this way, but obviously a lot of the strength will be gone

nickc

Cheapo 700c rim nothing special. Thanks 5lab, that’s what I was thinking, coming to try to keep the rim, it’s not too badly taco’d

spectraken
    Free Member

A slightly more drastic version of 5lab’s method is to grab the wheel with both hands opposite the pringled section and ‘slap it’ against the ground with the pringled section facing towards the ground. Hopefully you might be able to straighten the Pringle a bit to get you moving. Good luck!

spectraken
    Free Member

Just saw you want to keep the wheel, best ignore my advice 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

got a wall mounted bike rack at work ?

remove wheel .

Place high spot in the rack and apply pressure in the relevent direction.

In an ideal world id take the tension off the spokes first – straight then the rim then retension.

Done it a number of times on “tight” buckles and on “tacoed” wheels to get folks moving again while waiting on their new wheel.

doomanic

Get a taxi and send the bill to the test that knocked you off?

joshvegas
    Free Member

A slightly more drastic version of 5lab’s method is to grab the wheel with both hands opposite the pringled section and ‘slap it’ against the ground with the pringled section facing towards the ground. Hopefully you might be able to straighten the Pringle a bit to get you moving. Good luck!

Works really well if its a “this wheel is toast but i would like it to turn so i can get out of here.”

5lab

you’ll get away with keeping the rim for a road bike I recon,it’ll have lost a chunk of strength, (and until retentioned even more) but not so much that I’d say it is at risk of collapsing on road

nickc

Thanks all, some inventive “bending techniques “ that included employing the scaffolding has resulted in a “mostly” straight wheel. Certainly enough to get me home so I can do some more long term repairs

have had to disconnect front brake though…should be ok, no downhills on the way home.

yetidave
    Free Member

assuming that it was the car drivers fault

Get a taxi and send the bill to the test that knocked you off?

this..

whytetrash

Edge of the kerb is ideal for straightening wheels like that!

nickc

Yeah, would’ve got the number of the woman who hit me, only, she didn’t get out the car, and drove away when I moved the bike from off her bonnet. To be honest I was too busy checking bike over to take a note of her licence plate…I’ll have to rely on Karma.

richmtb

FFS that’s ridiculous. Glad you are okay

belugabob
    Free Member

Report to the police.
    Hopefully, CCTV footage will track her down, then she’ll be liable for leaving the scene of an accident, as well as the damage

jkomo

Yeah leaving the scene is worse than running you over.

TiRed

Yeah leaving the scene is worse than running you over.

The woman who did that to me was only spared a prison sentence because of her five year old son. My wheel was OK. The rest of the bike and myself fared less well!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off on commute and wheel now pringled’ is closed to new replies.