Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Knocked off my bike – what do I need to do?
  • enzee199
    Free Member

It was a lovely day, finished work early, the sun was shining. I'm waiting to turn right when suddenly a van cuts the corner hitting me. Luckily I was in a stationary standing position so I was able to let the bike spin from under me so I wasn't hurt. On first inspection my bike seems to have escaped with a broken front wheel. I have the drivers details and have called their company to ask how they want to sort things. Hopefully they'll pay for a new wheel but, in the event of them being difficult can anyone advise on what procedure I should follow, I've already got busy with my camera and am just about to give LBS a ring

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Should have informed the police by now, and you may have (both) broken the law by not reporting an accident. You'll need a police report for any insurance claims that go through, and shouldn't the van driver be facing questions over 'driving without due care…'?

stevehine

Really ? I very much doubt that. I was in a car-car accident and when I reported it to the police; was told that unless someone was actually injured there was no need – and it certainly doesn't sound like the van driver was injured….

sas
    Free Member

Inform the police anyway, so it gets added to the stats on cyclists' safety.

brakes
    Free Member

you only need to report it if someone is injured and you don't need a police report for insurance

enzee199
    Free Member

Thanks. I thought that may have been the case. I'm hoping they will do the right thing and just pay for any damage. If they don't I guess I need to claim through their insurance.

SAS – That is certainly a point. I did wonder whilst dragging my bike home whether cycle safety is made even worse by under-reporting of accidents. I know from my involvement with Sustrans, that the area is a bit of a hot-spot as currently the NCN route goes through an industrial area.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off my bike – what do I need to do?’ is closed to new replies.