Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Knees are clicky and sore. Any supplements worth taking?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Anybody seen any benefit to glucosamine, cod liver oil etc? (I know the science is sketchy so placebo is fine 🙂 )

Also anyone have a recommendation on a good source to buy them?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cod liver oil works when my knees start getting a bit clicky. I don’t use them on a long term basis.

I just get the cheap stuff from asda

Northwind

Considered seeing a doc, if it’s changing and/or bad? Knees are handy things…

whitestone
    Free Member

Why not try to fix the cause of your problem rather than fix the result? It’s a bit like having a hole in your fuel tank and fixing it by continually filling up with petrol.

I’d check to see if your set-up is correct first – knee problems on a bike are usually being too far forward or back or having the seat at the wrong height (latter is obviously more road focussed).

Drac

Also anyone have a recommendation

Seek medical advice?

deviant
    Free Member

Yep, cod liver oil, glucosamine and a multi vit seems to keep my clicky shoulders under control….whether there’s any actual science in it or not I don’t know?!….I do know when I’ve run out and haven’t taken any for a while though, noticeably more sore.

retro83
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Seek medical advice?

Northwind – Member

Considered seeing a doc, if it’s changing and/or bad? Knees are handy things…

whitestone – Member

Why not try to fix the cause of your problem rather than fix the result? It’s a bit like having a hole in your fuel tank and fixing it by continually filling up with petrol.

These are all good points.

I will. Just thought the supplements could be worth a shot too.

On the subject of the cause, it’s a weird one as it gets better when I’ve been riding a lot. Hopefully the docs will be able to tell me what I need to do to fix it permanently.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what has helped my knees but one thing that did seem good was a dropper so I could have my main riding position at full extension again, rather than an inch lower, or similar.

Plus walking in shoes was giving me issues and when I went back to my walking boots with superfeet insoles to give me a little support that helped as well.

The-Beard

I found keeping my knees warm helps a lot with stopping them hurting or making noises like a rusty gate, so I wear 3/4’s or knee warmers a lot of the time. If I am in shorts the stiffness/creaks get better once they’ve warmed up. Regular yoga has helped too.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Anybody seen any benefit to glucosamine, cod liver oil etc? (I know the science is sketchy so placebo is fine )

Both my physio and knee surgeon say no, assuming you are already eating a balanced and healthy diet and if not then now is the time to start.

First, find out what’s wrong with your knee. Your GP may just take a wait and see approach (often all that’s needed) but go and find a good sports physio and pay for an assessment.

Oh and be prepared for it to be normal wear and tear and not covered under your warranty, getting old sucks 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Both my physio and knee surgeon say no, assuming you are already eating a balanced and healthy diet and if not then now is the time to start.

Mine said the opposite (or specifically there’s more evidence to show that it works than ibuprofen in gell/cream form) so it can’t do any harm. IME seems to work.

On the subject of the cause, it’s a weird one as it gets better when I’ve been riding a lot. Hopefully the docs will be able to tell me what I need to do to fix it permanently.

Probably do something other than cycling, do some free weights, running etc, anything to build up some muscles, the human body is designed to cover big distances at walking pace, it’s not designed to sit in a chair for 9 hours then do 30minutes exercise.

BillOddie

Weak hamstrings?

Joe

Start using a roller and stretching, particularly your IT band before trying anything else.

spicer
    Free Member

My right knee starts to hurt after about an hour, its a patella tracking issue. Lots of foam rolling, stretching and strengthening to fix it. Probably worth getting a physio to check you out, it’ll only get worse unless you do something about it!

badnewz
    Free Member

I’m on glucosamine for my knees, can’t tell if it makes any difference.
    I was wondering why my knees were hurting recently and spent hours online trying to self-diagnose…then I weighed myself and realised that if I’m half a stone overweight they tend to start playing up.

Suggsey
    Free Member

As the physiology pointed out yo me the clicky graunchy.popping sensations in my knackered shoulder are from the instability in the joint caused by the muscles weakening through not being able to use them properly for the past four and a half months…….maybe you need to build up the supportive muscles? As for the supplements you mentioned, tried them found them to have no beneficial effect on my creaking knees….whereas building the muscles up and loosing weight has!

kimbers

Yoga, you seek Yoga

Or at least some sort of stretching, proper warm up, warm down etc

epicyclo

Try riding singlespeed?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

.maybe you need to build up the supportive muscles?

I use the staircase at work for this purpose – several flights giving 155 steps – do 3 climbs or stop as soon as I feel any perspiration, once in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Has helped.

Used to have access to a stepper machine, which was really good.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

eat more Fat! fatty meats lots of Butter cheeses and the like, that should sort it.

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Mine said the opposite (or specifically there’s more evidence to show that it works than ibuprofen in gell/cream form) so it can’t do any harm.

FWIW that’s pretty much exactly what mine both said- “I don’t know if it really helps but I know it doesn’t hurt”. Though, important to bear in mind that’s as part of a full medical process, stuff that stops people seeking aid can hurt even if it’s harmless in itself.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Knees are clicky and sore. Any supplements worth taking?’ is closed to new replies.