• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by igm.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Can you lace 26" hubs on 27.5" rims?
  • ktow75

Maybe a daft question, but I’d like to re-use my 26″ hubs on a new 27.5″ bike. Does anyone know if this is possible?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Are they enduro-specific hubs?

steezysix
    Free Member

Yes, but not with the same spokes…

iain1775
    Free Member

A hub is a hub
    (Assuming axle spacing 135/142/Boost/whatever they come up with next week is the same)

thegreatape
    Free Member

🙂

cokie

No problem. The hub, spokes and nipples will fit. The spokes should come alive and grow to match the correct length of the 650b rim*.

* may not be true.

rOcKeTdOg

yes, but a 29″ rim won’t fit

bails

What about 29″ rims on 26″ hubs? Will they cancel out and you end up with 27.5″ wheels?

northernmatt

Do you get the valve hole with new rims or is it extra?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

igm

We should introduce this thread to the crown race one.

OP you’ve had the sensible answer, stay tuned for much humorous stupidity

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve had a cassette in the shop were the proper shimano label said 29er cassette… I fitted it to a 26″ and it hasn’t exploded (to my knowledge)

postierich
    Free Member

What colour are the hubs?

dirtydog
    Free Member

@ktow75 Ignore this piss takers. 🙄

They will be fine, you just need to fit longer spokes and 27.5″ specific nipples.

beefheart
    Free Member

They will be fine, you just need to fit longer spokes and 27.5″ specific nipples.

Pffffff nipples! 😆

takisawa2

If you graduate the spoke lengths you’ll have biopace wheels.

slackalice
    Free Member

If you graduate the spoke lengths you’ll have biopace wheels.

But who will be liable for repaying the student loan?

ononeorange

You do have a magic cat though, don’t you? You’ll need one of those

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Why not consider 650B rims instead of 27.5?

tthew

Come on guys. Stop taking the piss. OP, no you can’t. The lower rotational speed of a larger wheel for the same linear velocity means that the balls in the bearings experience reduced centripetal forces, forcing them harder against the inner race. This means increased wear rate, (at best) or more likely bearing seizure.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Shimano made a 29er ‘specific’ slx hub a few years ago. Although i think that was more about them worrying about their freehub life/durability with what were then ‘larger range’ (11-36!) cassettes.

Whatever happened to the 29er specific saddle? (Not joking, this was in the proper bike news and everything).

LeeW

I think Fizik make a 29er specific saddle.

Tracey

You will be fine. Depending on the tyre width you may want to wait till Specialized release their low profile tyres for 2016. Im sticking with 26″ till they sort that out

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    igm

Tracey – presumably with those tyres you can just stick with the 26″ rims and use a 0.75″ bigger tyre to bring the 26″ up to 27.5″?

26>>27.5>>29 without all that faffing swapping rims.

Tracey

No. The lower profile helps with faster the cornering. They have been designed to work with the new wide rims. Will be able to stick 650b on the back of the Enduro without swapping the back end

Stevet1
    Free Member

a 26″ hub will require very short spokes to lace to a 27.5″ rim – approximately .75″ long. You may need to have some custom threaded if you can’t find any off the shelf.

igm

Tracey

Doesn’t that turn the effective outer diameter back into a 26″?

[cynic] So the next great development in MTB wheels is reinventing the 26er, but based on a larger bead size? Interesting. [/cynic]

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Can you lace 26" hubs on 27.5" rims?’ is closed to new replies.