Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • kitesurfing?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

ok, i've managed to hold off for years but i bumped into an old freind who i grew up windsurfing with at a wedding last weekend and he's just started kitesurfing and rants about it.

can anyone tell me…

1. how hard it is and if i need lessons what sort of instruction would i need (i've windsurfed since i was 13, though do not windsurf regularly any more, surfed since 15, and fly a 4 line power kite with a control bar now and again etc etc)?

2. one of the reasons i don't windsurf anymore is that i hav'nt got the time nor inclination to lug loads of kit around. i'm really only interested on kitesurfing in med winds (say 12 – 25knts) so can i get away with just one kite?

3. how rapidly has the kit evolved in recent years? can ebay bargains be had on a couple of years old stuff or do you really need to get bang up to date kit (i'm thinking how fast windsurf kit evolved in the 80's where stuff was redundant within weeks)?

jabbathehut
    Free Member

hey gav, ive kitesurfed for about 3 years, ill try and answer your questions bud.

its not as hard as windsurfing to learn but there are major differences. Unfortunately mate yes you do need lessons unless you can get out with mates who will show you the ropes and stay with u. BUT i would still get lessons for the essential deep water packdowns and safety.

You can get away with one kite but most people have a 2 kite quiver. Depending on your weight a 12m and 9m cover you from 12 knots – 30 knots. Dont forgrt wetsuit, harness, board all add up as well.

Kites have evolved and some people reckon most bows from 2007 onwards are very safe and have good relaunch. BUT again thats another reason to get lessons as u will get a good idea of what is good and bad for u.

there are very good forums out there for all your questions

try http://www.kitecrowd.com – formerly flexifoil
    and http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk

both very active and friendly.

hope that helps

srrc
    Free Member

Kitesurfing is great, go for it, but be warned, it's very addictive.
    jabba gives good advice, sign on for a series of lessons. That will cover the safety side as well as giving you a better idea about kit needed.
    Best not to buy anything until after the lessons or you'll end up wasting money.
    Make sure the school is a decent one, even better is to go somewhere warm (Egypt) to school for a week. If you master the basics of flying the kite before you go then by the end of the week you should be going both ways.
    You'll get on the water much more than windsurfing as 15mph is enough to get going, easier on the body too.
    Some other kiters on here, Sq appears on the kite forums. Fits well with bikes.
    If there's one thing to remember, especially for ex pole dancers, it's the instruction "push the bar".
    You'll find out!
    Where are you?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

cheers guys, since posting i've had a good look around the www and definitely curious.

i've windsurfed since i was 12 or 13, in the days of a windsurf regatta with a 5.4m sail and thats it (if anyone remembers them) so a windsurf rig seems really natural and easy to control whereas a big kite seems like it will be a bit unwieldy. old dog looking for new tricks definitely! : )

srrc i'm down in the far west of cornwall, so it'll be lessons at sunny marazion for me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

its not as hard as windsurfing to learn but there are major differences.

I found neither hard to learn, but I found kiting harder than windsurfing. The learning curve with kiting is a lot steeper and more painful.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Talking of painful, I've seen a fair few kitesurfers in North Devon Hospital with very messy fractures after landing awkwardly. I have to say though, it's definitely growing on me after years of thinking it looked a bit naff – loads of good riders up this way. I suspect it's bloody expensive mind (I love windsurfing but there's just no way I can afford it).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Doesnt have to be pricey, but it certainly can be. If you have the wet gear you can pick up 2nd hand kit for 5-600ish (board, kite, lines and harness). Even just trundling around is more fun than windsurfing (IMO) as windsurfing doesnt really seem to come alive until fairly high winds/decent planing speed and big waves. Kiting can be fun in 15 knots on flat water.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘kitesurfing?’ is closed to new replies.