• This topic has 77 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • King of the mountains (Lakes climbing gods)
  • peachos
    Free Member

not sure about the luck thing that is being thrown around a bit. there’s a small bit of luck involved sure, but making the right decisions about what lines to take and technique surely makes your luck – i.e. that time when your wheel slipped out on an isolated rock causing you to dab which you put down to bad luck could have been avoided if you spotted it! so i personally would never say that i was lucky or unlucky to clean a climb.

psychology plays a massive part too i think, which i think someone else tries mentioned briefly. when i’m climbing i’m constantly setting myself different targets; to the next brow, through this loose section etc etc. it’s all part of the choosing lines/vision/technique thing again, but determination to get to your next goal is maybe where a lot of people fail.

goals and targets are also important for letting you manage your energy levels too as they are often dictated by a difficult (steep/techy) section. it helps if you know the climb and what to expect, but if you know for example you are coming up to a loose bit you can conserve your energy by riding slowly right up to the start, then really spin through the next section (kind of sprinting, where fitness comes in) before being able to rest again. the climb up from Dubbs Res to the top of Garburn is pretty good for this as there are a couple of difficult sections about half way up.

only tried skiddaw once last summer & didn’t do too well but will be having another crack this year. it’s definitely manageable. gonna find me a 20t granny though as i usually have a 24t. i’ve cleaned garburn from dubbs, and only 1 dab on walna the other week (just ran out of fuel).

@anc – cleaning gatescarth from sadgill….that’s pretty fricking impressive if it’s true! the bottom section with the constant motion reducing cobbles is just horrible and so long, the steep zigzags after the gate are then proper steep in places, do-able, but loads of effort after what you would have just endured!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I did most of the Helvellyn zigzags 6 or 7 years back. It was blowing a hoolie which was the big issue – the cross wind was making me wobble too much. I’ve also done Jacob’s up to the gate in a oner (once), but I’ve always then run out of puff on the steep slabbed section at the top.

Now? With the right bike(a mid travel full sus which I don’t currently have), I reckon I could still give the zigzags a fair go. Jacob’s is far too eroded/loose/rocky. I would need a damn good reason to make the effort though. Current mindset is more to save the energy for the downs…

As others have said, it’s as much about sheer bloody mindedness and pain management as “fitness”, although willpower alone won’t work!

karnali
    Free Member

a lot shorter and i’m sure a few folk probably have but anyone cleaned from watendlath bridge to the top of that climb or along the slightly cheeky footpath to watendlath and then the climb as well?

anc
    Free Member

steep zigzags after the gate

This is the hard bit the first 2 zigzags are the crux. I take a wide line on the verge its firmer there the main body is too loose. Its a real balancing act as theres a drop to your left. But its doable as you get such a big rest after the gate. After that it gets easiler and there was no way I’m getting off once the first 2 are cleared.
    The cobbles are ok as long as its dry. Its just a case of actively resting on the less steep sections, then attacking the harder stuff. My Ellsworth Epiphany also makes a big different, can’t do it on my hardtail.

anc
    Free Member

a lot shorter and i’m sure a few folk probably have but anyone cleaned from watendlath bridge to the top of that climb or along the slightly cheeky footpath to watendlath and then the climb as well?

Now then my ex-nextdoornneighbour how’s it going? :mrgreen:
    I’ve got up Watendlath when the snow was filling the gaps…. but thats cheating. Normally I have to dab round the corner on the rock step-ups half way up that straight. So I’ve never done it without a dab, but I reckon others will have. The footpath before the climb isn’t cleanable because of the steps to the gate half way along.

peachos
    Free Member

fair play then! yep the first two zig zags are nuts steep & definitely need to be able to swing out wide and cut through the apex when needed.

i still hate the cobbles, but would like to give it a shot fresh legged and on the correct bike – the two or three time i have done it i have been on a 170mm 38lb FS and have already come from Staveley via Garburn!

crazy-legs

If memory serves, I think Crazy Legs on the forum has done Jacob’s Ladder. I’m sure What MTB documented it being ridden a year or so back. These things are as much about getting lucky as having the legs and the climb until you drop attitude.

Sanny, thanks for your high opinion of my climbing abilities but I’ve never come close to clearing Jacobs Ladder in one go. I was there on the What MTB photoshoot when Nick Craig and a couple of other guys cleared it. That was perfect weather for it but it’s still worth mentioning that Paul Oldham (current National CX Champion) didn’t manage to make it either!

Sanny
    Free Member

Rode the Watendlath climb clean a few years back on my old Turner. It was a beautiful day and the trail was bone dry. Again, teeny gears, soft rear tyre and a healthy dollop of wanting to do it was the key. I’m sure my mate Mark has pics of me doing it.

Never tried going up Gatesgarth from the side with the water whose name I’ve forgotten. That looks reet loose. Ridden it clean and no dabs from the Staveley side though the three times I’ve ridden it. It’s not as bad as it looks. I reckon Skiddaw is the bigger challenge.

Walna Scar – never ridden it clean from bottom to top as the gate in the middle has been shut each time thus doesn’t count I guess as opening the gate gives breather time!

It’s funny, sometimes the slower you go on such climbs, the easier it becomes and the more likely you are to stay on. Trackstands can definitely be your friend!

crackhead
    Free Member

You guys are so unfashionable…chapeau!

younggeoff

Gatesgarth on my old Soda but can’t remember from which side, I’ll have to check when I get home. Got to be in the right frame of mind if you think you’re gonna fail you will, it’s amazing what a positive attitude can make to a climb.

Never tried Skiddaw so that’s something I could aim for this year 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

younggeoff

I think you will find that climbing is the new downhill 😀

fergal
    Free Member

Just had to do a bit of work! good to hear experiences.

@Drac
    bit of an old mountain goat aye, any chance of you compiling a list of the must do climbs in the Cheviots to earn my wings!.

Drac

@Drac bit of an old mountain goat aye, any chance of you compiling a list of the must do climbs in the Cheviots to earn my wings!.

Ermm! I’ll have a think but can’t think of any really tough ones, it’s not like the Lakes. There’s a few but your talking short section as opposed to long tough climbs.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah i know in the grand scheme of things they are shorter and less technical, but there must be some local test pieces for mere mortals.

crackhead
    Free Member

climbing is the new downhill

yes, Dirt is changing its name to Clean
    Titanium flying pig anyone?

Drac

Yeah i know in the grand scheme of things they are shorter and less technical, but there must be some local test pieces for mere mortals.

Hmmm! I’ll give it some thought but as I say your talking a short section and that’s it.

stoney
    Free Member

I cleared Skiddaw twice last year, 1 of those i was being watched by a couple of young honnies….Parktiger mentioed earlier 🙄

Allmost cleared Watendlath a couple of weeks ago in the wet bar a a couple of dabs….

Also cleared the Grzedale right hand ridge (until the carry at the top)

Thanks for your comments Ton….don`t forget that i was ss at the time 😉

anc
    Free Member

By cleared do you mean dab free and no rest at the gate. If so that’s impressive Andy.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I cleared Skiddaw twice last year

We keep telling him it’s bad putting all that strain on his chain 😉

GEDA
    Free Member

Anybody climbed out of the ladybower side up to cutgate? I can do it the other way but not from ladybower. I think it would be possible with good fitness, the right types and conditions. I do like the buzz of conquering a techy bit without the aid of gravity.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I keep trying that Watendlath to Rosthwaite climb!!..one day,I can usually get around the first corner from the tarn but thats about it..

or the rocky climb up and onto Lonscale terrace,never managed that one yet 😥

stoney
    Free Member

Your`re right PT….i did snap my chain on another attempt 😐 Missed the nads on the top tube as well. 😯

Much to your amusement i seem to remember……. 😆

scaredypants

etc
    etc

I’ve never got off the cobbly bit right at the start – heart rate’s about 275 just coming up the road to it 😳 🙁

stoney
    Free Member

Cleared 95% of said river path to Watendlath on the same day i mentioned earlier. There are 3 bit`s that are very hard….A tree near the start that is very hard to get round, a rocky click with a steam running through it (got to the steam) and the steps….Cleared the rest……
    This was after coming over Walla as well…

karnali
    Free Member

anc going much better that i’ve just got back from a run up at whinlatter, got to work on that fitness if i want a top 400 place at whinlatter next month, must dust off the mtn bike as well 😀

anc
    Free Member

Ayup M. 😉 I here your into Tri now. Been riding with Boney recently he’s going well and concentrating on the Tri’s this year. I didn’t run past you in a car on friday a whinlatter did I?

GEDA
    Free Member

Fergal have you tried the track up to the border ridge past heatherhope reservoir and to the left. Not technical but steep and relentless. Could try from the usway up clennel street then along the border ridge but there are some wicket in the way.

anc
    Free Member

Right so it looks like Jenkin is the one to clear. Many people have rode it all in sections but to bag it, its got to be bottom to top, no stopping at the gate to wait for your buddies, photo ops(sorry Sanny) dabs, breathers pretending to look at the view etc etc…. Come on STW’ers we have a challenge for 2011 otherwise Junkyard is technically right. :mrgreen:

karnali
    Free Member

anc, is Boney the lad with the goatee, if so i see him at running on a wed, yep doing a few tri’s and half marathons this year. little ones seem to make time for mtbing diff. although gettin gup at 5.30am for swimming is pretty hard. no not me at whinlatter fri. should be there early sat this week.

anc
    Free Member

His names Steve, he may have had a goaty but not at the mo, Think he just joined the local tri club. He knows Thorpy and Ian F. Got to know him through Mike and Dan, he’s quite strong on the bike and training v hard. Probably too hard as his knees playing up at the mo.

karnali
    Free Member

not who i was thinking of but i think i know who u mean, a good runner too.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anybody climbed out of the ladybower side up to cutgate?

I’ve ridden all of it, but never in one go. Usually manage to ride all the hairpins clean, then **** up the easy straights. One of those climbs that will “go” one day, but it’ll need a good dollop of luck.

My mate Dibley (aka Martin Brookes who was one of the guys who cleaned Jacobs in that WMB article a couple of years back)cleared it with seeming ease on a Yeti 4x bike with a single ring, a road cassette and the saddle down, which was pretty unreal to watch. He just well, pedalled up it. Fit, unused to the idea of failure, great bike handler. Git.

D0NK

Dunno if it’s the trails or my fitness eroding but first time I did Jacobs, watendlath and walna scar (seathwaite) I managed a respectable distance but have been back to all and failed to get anywhere near the same.

Skiddaw (until the gate) Kepple cove and Gatesgarth all look do-able, it’s just the relentless incline, I’m redlining all the way and I just can’t keep up that effort. I can get into the zone I can just about keep up with my breathing then I have to stand for a really tech bit and I lose it, breathing can’t recover, lightheaded, dizziness, fall over etc. Local hills are tiny in comparison and not much good for training up for those monster climbs.

Is running best for improving lung function?

fergal
    Free Member

I also have been running this winter, last summer i hit a plateau after making some good progress sending a few local Nemesis, i’m really hoping running will increase lung and leg power, yet to put into practice as i haven’t been on the steed properly for a few months.

Geda wrong side of the Border for me,does look relentless that climb on Monzie law, maybe attack “The Street” in the summer, on the to do list.

younggeoff

I was going to mention Dibley’s climbing prowess, as JonEdwards say’s it was unreal to watch his bike handling is phenominal really nice bloke too. Must try and get some fitness back this year and get my climbing legs back.

fergal
    Free Member

Would any of you climbing wads like to settle the question as to whether fell running improves your peformance or not, cross training is considered good is it not, i know the argument about cycling using different muscle groups and all that, but in practice what are your thoughts.

There seems to be very little anecdotal evidence out there pointing to an improvement or otherwise, perhaps Tri athletes would have a very good opinion on this, anyone 😕

anc
    Free Member

Cycling and fell running complement each other extremely well, look at Rob Jebb, Ben Bardsley or Phil Davis. They all do both very successfully.

D0NK

For me it’s normally my lungs that give up first, there’s more left in my legs but I just can’t get enough oxygen ito myself. That’s what I’m hoping running (up steep hills) will improve.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘King of the mountains (Lakes climbing gods)’ is closed to new replies.