Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Just split up with my girlfriend, help me understand why…..
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

……My Chris king race does not fit my old pace forks. both are 1 1/8th

Is there some sort of fix for this.

(sorry for the Title, it does seem like the only way to get people to reply to threads on here these days)

Trimix
    Free Member

Get a girlfriend and stop worrying about bike bits.

z1ppy

LOL, run a file around the top of the steerer, to make sure there no lip stopping you put the race on.

Stoner
    Free Member

boiling water, dab of grease, some waste pipe, a gert big hammer and some MTFU.

clubber
    Free Member

LOL 😉

Crown races are an interference fit (eg the hole is slightly smaller than the shaft (on topic, see!) so some combinations are just b@stard tight. If you're really struggling, just cut a slot in the crown race – works fine for cartridge bearing headsets though obviously no good for ones with loose balls (on topic again!)

sofatester
    Free Member

Shame, this could have been another 100+ thread!

^What he said^

RudiBoy
    Free Member

nah it will fit its just super loose. the pace forks dont seem to have a bulge in the steerer as required by the CK race

Stoner
    Free Member

if it's super loose you coul dmake a very fine coke can shim to stop the race moving fore/aft. It wont move up and down because of the pre-load.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah right, well some forks did have a staight steerer with a separate stepped ring to fit at the bottom so that the crown fitted – sounds like that's what's missing.

Super loose fit – on topic again…

z1ppy

"it will fit its just super loose" Race or g/f?

ta booom!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just put a dab of locktite 243 thread lock behind the crown race. Once the headset is preloaded it wont make any difference anyway.

Unless of course it is literally rattling around the steerer in which case the old coke can shim maybe necessary.

thejesmonddingo

She dumped you because you're obsessing about the fit of your ring?
    Ian

RudiBoy
    Free Member

cheers all,

crazy but it worked….check out the last time I posted that question how many replies I got.

First stop then to speak to pace to see if they have what clubber was talking about….if not then a coke can it is.

as you were.

DezB
    Free Member

What clubber said. The old Pace forks had an extra ring.

Your girlfriend knew this and left you for someone Cytech certified.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As long as it's not flapping about around the steerer it'll be fine, I have two sets of reba forks that the races just slide onto, no problems whatsoever, as above once it's preloaded it's all nice an tight anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my bombers always had a loose crown race, no issues, although that was with a lose ball headset so more tolerant of shitty alignment than cartriges that seem to self destruct if not perfectly fitted.

juan
    Free Member

Dont move I tell your GF you can't fit a headset…
    She just asked for her personal belongings to be posted back 😉

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Nah this is loose. I can fit a flat head screwdriver between the race and the steerer. it sounds like something is missing as clubber said.

younggeoff

Sounds like your missing the little step washer, call to pace required

BigTed
    Free Member

Don't try shimming with Coke can, I've tried and the amount of shim is far too great. As above, you need a Pace Race Collar, effectively a crown race shim.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

My Pikes wouldn't accept the crown race onto the flared bit at the bottom of the steerer. Tried everything, but it just wouldn't go on. Finished up filing down the bulge. Now fits perfectly.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Just split up with my girlfriend, help me understand why…..’ is closed to new replies.