• This topic has 52 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Hohum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Just cancelled Sky TV..
  • stox
    Free Member

Don’t watch much on it. Been thinking about it for a while. Letter in the post today increasing it by a fiver a month.
    When I look at my estimated bills it increases another £15 a month in July!

They offered a deal which was poor but short of them offering free tv there was no way I was staying anyway . Had enough of them.

So what do I do now – freesat box?

I have a 1 year old 4K Smart Sony TV.
    I’d like the ability to record / pause shows like I could with sky.
    Do I just pick a box to suit budget and hard drive size?

frogstomp

I have a 1 year old 4K Smart Sony TV.

Check the features / specifications of your TV. You may be able to just plug in a USB drive to record onto.

zilog6128

Binned off Sky years ago, now have pretty much all the streaming services (including Sky, in the form of Now TV 😀) for less. Don’t even have an aerial hooked up!
    You THINK you need to record/pause live tv but actually, once you get out of the lifetime habit of watching channels, you don’t! Pretty much everything you’d want to see is available on demand using apps,etc so just watch what you want when you want, not just because something is “on” 😀

trailwagger
    Free Member

Surely a 1yr old tv has freesat support built in?

Cant remember the last time i watched anything that wasnt streamed… maybe 7 years ago??

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve just done the same (actually stopped working on the 5th). Both my 9 year old Panasonic Plasma and the 5 month old LG will pause and record onto USB hard drives (I’ve just used old 2.5″ drives I’d already replaced with SSDs) – unsurprisingly the latter better than the former.
    The only thing they can’t do is record one channel whilst watching another – but they will record one TV whilst you watch another input (i.e. chromecast, etc.)

Maybe try that first before going to a freesat box?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve had the same letter. £5 increase. I’d go BT as I mostly watch sports and their sports package is so cheap… but! they insist you have their broadband too! WFH means reliability and speed are key with broadband and I don’t trust BT enough. Not enough to change from Zen anyway, which has been perfect.
    If I changed, I don’t think I’d be so bothered about recording stuff now almost everything seems to be available to stream.

petec
    Free Member

freesat support built in

Most tellies don’t. Only – if memory serves – some Samsung and LG models have it built in. It is very good though – used it for the past 10 odd years

but the set top box is small now https://www.freesat.co.uk/why-freesat – and can record – apparently – four shows at once

sharkbait
    Free Member

You THINK you need to record/pause live tv but actually, once you get out of the lifetime habit of watching channels, you don’t! Pretty much everything you’d want to see is available on demand using apps,etc so just watch what you want when you want, not just because something is “on”

Absolutely agree – although the ability to pause is handier than the ability to record.
    Mrs SB might need a bit more persuading, but there’s not much she can do about it now.

Sky are screwed ultimately.

Most tellies don’t. Only – if memory serves – some Samsung and LG models

My old Panasonic does both (as does the LG) – I’ve gone to Freeview though as CH4 isn’t available in HD on Freesat.

stox
    Free Member

No I already checked and there’s no freesat support within the tv

sharkbait
    Free Member

No I already checked and there’s no freesat support within the tv

Plug the aerial in then – there’s no difference in picture quality that I can see.

petec
    Free Member

old Panasonic does both

I sit corrected then. Quick look at the JL website implies 30 odd for both Samsung/LG, and 2 for Panasonic. And 1 for Linsar, whoever they are!

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Setup we have here is Chromecast dongle attached to TV. We watch stuff from YT & Prime and (having read through the “you need to have a license if…” list and gone “we don’t do that” to the lot), got rid of the tv license.
    Happier and richer !

the-muffin-man

I was wasn’t so obsessed with F1 I would bin Sky too. But unfortunately they have exclusive rights in the UK for the next few years.

Plug the aerial in then – there’s no difference in picture quality that I can see.

^^That – Freeview HD signal is plenty good enough.

Would getting a Freesat box mean getting the dish repositioned to pick up different satellites?

molgrips
    Free Member

We stopped paying for Sky over ten years ago, we just weren’t watching anything. Now we have Netflix which is vastly better value for money. Literally more good stuff on there than we can actually watch, and for what, nine quid?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Would getting a Freesat box mean getting the dish repositioned to pick up different satellites?

NO….. it’s exactly the same. unplug sat cable from sky box and plug into freesat box (or TV) – job jobbed.

fossy

Your TV should record if you have a few USB sockets. Our Samsung does, but we never use it. Nor the ‘once’ expensive PVR.

Normal Freeview, then Netflix, Disney and Prime for everything else. Use the freeview apps to catch up.

If you’ve got a TV with the Freeview+ App, you can actually pause TV, or go back a little. Our Toshiba does that, but won’t do Prime – only does Netflix.

The older Samsung doesn’t have the freeview app, but you just have to go into the station’s app to watch a programme that’s just aired – it’s usually on very soon after live TV.

stox
    Free Member

Now we have Netflix which is vastly better value for money. Literally more good stuff on there than we can actually watch, and for what, nine quid?

I find the opposite with Netflix. Spend 15 mins flicking through it, rarely find anything, and turn it off

tommyhine

I cancelled sky a few years ago, if you have a dish fitted and it’s not sky Q (although i’m behind on sky tech so that might still have a dish) then you get the freeview channels through the box anyway. We just watch the terrestrial channels ont he sky box with no issues (and have Netflix, amazon, disney on the tv as well mind).

Also i occasionally get a free month or so on the sky app so if there is anything interesting on (last time i used it was last summer for a show the gf wanted to watch) then I just cast it to the tv from my phone.

As an aside if you buy from adidas on their creators club thing they sometimes give a free month on sky.

ready

Changed my Sky subscription last month. Finally cancelled Sky sports (instantly saving 50quid a month), ‘upgraded’ to a SkyQ box for free, and I still get Movies (for a bargain price)
    Should have done it years ago! Still got the old Sky+ box upstairs to watch non-subscription TV too.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I just had a chat with them about the cost and they sorted out a deal for me which was astonishing.
    I ended up getting everything bar Sky sports – including Sky Cinema, all in 4k, a new 4k box, 4k Netflix (that’s £14 on it own a month) and box sets, 45mb internet, phone line for £54 a month.
    Amazon Prime is rubbish, Apple TV isn’t great yet and Disney, well we got it for free for a few days to watch the Mandalorian and nothing else we want to watch on it.
    We think we got a bargain tbh

docgeoffyjones

Binned off sky before Christmas and have not watched live TV since. So I have also cancelled my TV licence as well . Kids seem more than happy with Disney, Netflix, and amazon and I enjoy saving a good few hundred pounds a year.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

My old Panasonic does both (as does the LG) – I’ve gone to Freeview though as CH4 isn’t available in HD on Freesat.

Mine does too, and FYI, CH4 is on Freesat in HD it’s just been removed from the programme guide and doesn’t get picked up via autotune, you can tune into it manually and it works just fine.

My Panny has 2 sat inputs, one is set to Freesat with the guide etc. the other is set for other channels and has CH4 HD on it, I just switch between inputs on the (very) rare occasion I want it.

chestrockwell

Watching with interest as plan to consider our options when the contract is up in May.

sharkbait
    Free Member

FYI, CH4 is on Freesat in HD it’s just been removed from the programme guide and doesn’t get picked up via autotune, you can tune into it manually and it works just fine.

Good to know, thanks!
    I think I’m OK with Freeview tbh but we have a place in Wales that gets S4C on Freeview instead of CH4, so I may use the satellite input on the Samsung there instead.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Whilst that’s true depending where you are you may not get anything close to the same selection.

pk13

@OP if you had skyQ you won’t be plugging the feeds into your Freesat. Well you can but it won’t work wrong LNB.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I’m OK with Freeview tbh but we have a place in Wales that gets S4C on Freeview instead of CH4

In Wales we get both S4C and CH4 – but CH4 isn’t in slot number 4.

molgrips
    Free Member

I find the opposite with Netflix. Spend 15 mins flicking through it, rarely find anything, and turn it off

You do have to programme it with your choices, you can do this on the website. Strangely, it only shows you a small selection of what it has, based on what it thinks your preference is. But there is tons of proper genius material on there, if you know what to look for. In my opinion, at least. The Mrs and I watch a show then spent half an hour discussing it afterwards. Not much on Sky was ever deep enough to inspire that much thought.

bruk

Never had Sky as could never justify the cost. Recently refurbed the house and the builders were saying few people now put in cabling for Sky because everything just streams now. Don’t watch football so the cost of Sky sports is mind boggling.

halifaxpete

You can get a smart freeview box that records ect, Got one for my mum at xmas. Sky seems pricey to me, always had freeview but have upgraded the pov spec Virgin for the last few years.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Spend 15 mins flicking through it, rarely find anything, and turn it off

E used to have the same problem… You just don’t really know what your looking at.
    But the Netflix thread on here has helped massively and now I’m much more open to giving something a try.

Not much on Sky was ever deep enough to inspire that much thought.

Chernobyl was possibly the only really good thing I’ve watched on sky – certainly that I can remember.

zilog6128

Not much on Sky was ever deep enough to inspire that much thought.

Sky Arts has some of the best quality & most thought provoking content available anywhere. You’re missing out if you’ve never seen any of it.

Merak

Sideload a Firestick?

stox
    Free Member

@OP if you had skyQ you won’t be plugging the feeds into your Freesat. Well you can but it won’t work wrong LNB.

I’ve got a sky+ box so should swap straight over i believe.
    They did offer me a Q box for free as an incentive to stay but not interested.

pk13

You will be grand then

onewheelgood

Sky Arts has some of the best quality & most thought provoking content available anywhere.

This is true. However, Sky Arts is now on Freeview, so you don’t need a Sky sub to see it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you do like to record stuff my LG TV has just updated and it now has a series link option for USB recording.
    Kinda helpful.

martinhutch

Sky Arts has some of the best quality & most thought provoking content available anywhere. You’re missing out if you’ve never seen any of it.

So does TLC. How will OP cope without Real Housewives and Dr Pimple Popper?

doris5000

Tis true. I watched two arts documentaries last night, one on Sky Arts, one on BBC Four. The Sky Arts one was significantly more ‘grown up’ in tone. Was surprised how dumbed-down the BBC doc felt in comparison.

FuzzyWuzzy

Even though I sub to most of the streaming services I still find most of the TV I watch is via SkyQ. It’s partly the convenience of flicking through channels to see what’s on + there are quite a few gems and Eurosport is a bonus (although I usually end up screaming as the bike race recording cuts off with 10km to go and end up watching the highlights on ITV4 anyway…)

Never really looked at Freeview to see how convenient it was, might actually try a month without using SkyQ to see if I miss it (although I think I’m still locked into a contract for most of the rest of the year anyway). Combined I pay over £100 a month just for TV stuff and over half of that is Sky 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Just cancelled Sky TV..’ is closed to new replies.