Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Journey into the unknown which is the best wheel building step by step
  • postierich
    Free Member

Preferably on the web just about to build(try)a wheel using a CK 24mm 32 hole front hub for my maverick fork.

Any tips and I have not got a wheel truing stand will let one of my mates finish off the put together wheel!!!!

Oh and to make things tricky its a 819 ust rim

Rich

nicko74

I know there'll be more along soon to repeat this, but you could do worse than start with Roger@Wheelpro's book. You do have to pay for it, but it tells you everything you need to know, including how to make a truing widget thing out of cardboard…

easygirl

roger mussons guide is great

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

wheel pro seconded.

best £9 you can spend. built a set of proII on XC717s using his guide and they are solid as a rock 5 months on (i'd never built a wheel before in my life)

thread closed!

wwaswas

wheelpro thirded although I did buy a wheel stand as I didn't really have the time to build his one.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is ok.

I found the wheelbuilding bit in "Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance" really good and easy to follow, but that's a £15 book…not sure if there is a similar chapter in the mountain bike version

I might have to check out this wheelpro book though as everyone raves about it. 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

+1 for wheelpro

foxyrider
    Free Member

Wheel Pro – Made my 2 wheels via this book – had to rebuild my 1st as not the greatest execution but now sound 🙂

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

dale
    Free Member

wheelpro built 819's into lefty hub(virgin wheel builder) months of rocky riding still true
    take youre time,threadlock the cups

firestarter
    Free Member

wheelpro guided my first wheel build and still going strong after many miles 🙂 really easy to follow book

Junkyard
    Free Member

erm wheelpro etc

sv

Yep wheelpro – I have made about 4 sets of wheels plus a couple of rebuilds and spoke replacements for friends.

BigJohn

Copy another wheel, especially the "unders and overs". Use a piece of chalk and the fork as a stand.

The best first wheel to build is a new rim replacement on an existing wheel. Get an identical rim and tape the 2 together then swap the spokes 1 at a time, taking care that offset spoke holes are observed.

Sheldon Brown, as ever, gives excellent free advice here. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

+3 for sheldon brown's site. Built my first wheel from that back in the nineties and have done loads since for myself and others with no problems. Have a built one in the same lacing to hand to compare in case you have a brain fart with lacing. Take your time and be methodical. I find it very therapeutic, and seeing a finished, perfectly true wheel at the end of it is very satisfying.

You dont need a stand to finish a wheel off, especially a front (which usually has symmetrical stanchions, unlike many chainstays). You can flip the wheel to make sure its centred, and something forgiving like a matchstick taped to the fork stanchion will do the the job of the feeler on a jig. I have a truing stand but have done this to true wheels when I couldnt be bothered removing the tyre.

Youll probably find yourself doing bigjohn's suggestion of rim swapping, if not as your first build, then on subsequent "re-builds". I swapped 717s (built on Hope hubs) for beefy 325's for a downhill week, and eventually rebuilt them with 717s to go on MCs hardtail.

I bought Jobst Brandts the Bicycle Wheel book as a bit of a science/engineering geek but its not a guide book as such.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Journey into the unknown which is the best wheel building step by step’ is closed to new replies.