Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • JIS screwdrivers, snake oil?
  • Wally

Having watched the clip on here I learnt about JIS screwdrivers.
    Never heard of them in years of faffing about with gears.
    Have they genuinely made anybodies life easier?
    Only I have a bit of a “tool for the job” fetish and about to press the button on a set.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have never rounded off any screws on a bike. I’m a proper tool-whore so any excuse for a new toy, but even to me these are a stretch.

midlifecrashes

I thought about this after seeing the thread last week. I think the better solution is to take the three JIS screws out of the mech when it’s clean, and replace with standard M5 screws with hex key ends. Then you always have the right tool, even on the multitool out on the trail.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Or do what I did and order a set of three Vessel JIS screwdrivers 😆

antigee

i wanted to open up my Lumix TZ10 to swap the cracked screen – a youtube video that had great pics of how to do it used a flat blade to undo the JIS fixings “because ordinary philips screw drivers won’t work” – looked to buy a JIS set but only from US and added to cost of screen made repair a waste of money – tried the flat blade no go – tried the smallest phillips style in my $10 (Aus dollars) interchangeable head set from local big DIY store fitted perfectly and job done in 2 minutes

well that’s my experience of must have JIS

somafunk

Here’s my Hozan #2 supporting itself on the B-Tension screw in an XTR mech, is it magic?….nah, just the correct tool for the job 😉

bigblackshed

midlifecrashes – Member
    I thought about this after seeing the thread last week. I think the better solution is to take the three JIS screws out of the mech when it’s clean, and replace with standard M5 screws with hex key ends. Then you always have the right tool, even on the multitool out on the trail.

This. Lots of this.

mintimperial

Can’t say I’ve ever had a problem just using Philips head drivers, but there’s nothing wrong with buying more tools, go for it.

Here’s my Hozan #2 supporting itself on the B-Tension screw

I don’t believe you, I think it’s propped up on something out of shot to the left. Go on, go out to the shed again and take the picture properly. Tsk.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ooooh. That Hozan does look nice……. 😉

Bedds
    Free Member

I spoke to my brother in law about these today, he works on a lot of honda mower engines and has heard of thrm but hasn’t found a decent philips that works in the screws.. he’s ordered some to try

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Many years ago I heard about filing the tip of a PZ2 down and I have not mangled any mech screws since.

tom200

I have one of those horzans, it is quite satisfying to use the right tool after years.

porter_jamie

Yes I bought a set because it’s impossible not to damage the screw heads on an r1 carb clamp unless you use one. Not expensive. You don’t lean on the mech screws so not really needed and you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver as well can’t you?

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

In fact my filed down driver is a PH2 not a PZ2

benji
    Free Member

Snap on now do these under the blue point label. Continued use of normal screw drivers in JIS fasteners causes premature wear to the tool and rounding out of the fastener head.

allan23
    Free Member

Tell you in a few days to a week, Amazon Delivery times for the Hozan to arrive.

Northwind

I wish I’d known about them years ago, they;re the reason everyone has a bastard of a time removing float bowls on mikuni carbs, I had no idea 😳

But yeah, everywhere I find them I just remove them. It seems to be a better standard tbh but it’s still not helpful. It’s the way phillips kinda works that makes it a bollocks.

eshershore
    Free Member

subtle difference, but the devil is in the detail 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

replace with standard M5 screws with hex key

This, but M4 fit better 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Interestingly (or not), some screwdrivers are laid out for both ISO/DIN and JIS. PB swiss tools’ phillips are one example.

rt60
    Free Member

I have been using them for a few years as I have a grey import Japanese motorbike. There are subtle differences and when your trying to undo a fiddly screw at the end of an 18 inch screwdriver having the proper tool helps no end in making sure you don’t round out the screw.

AlexSimon

You all seem to know what it is.
    I’d never heard of it.
    So are you saying that all Shimano cross-headed screws are JIS?

Onzadog
    Free Member

That would explain the trouble I used to have with cleat plates on spd pedals.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never heard of it

I then just googled JIS screws to see what they were

I am now off to explain my reasons to the head of IT

hammyuk
    Free Member

Aren’t you the head of iT?

OH! You’re off to “have a word with yourself”….

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can but dream of fulfilling the full spectrum of STW niches.

I really should have a word with myself more often though….fair point,

avdave2

That would explain the trouble I used to have with cleat plates on spd pedals.

Had exactly the same thought myself.

kayak23

New one on me I have to say.
    Can think of quite a few instances where this could have been a factor in sudden screw chewage.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘JIS screwdrivers, snake oil?’ is closed to new replies.