• This topic has 63 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by matts.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Janet Street-Porter's anti-cycling rant in the i
  • scandal42
    Free Member

She may well write utter toss in the papers and online but at least in those mediums you don’t have to hear her acidic **** of a voice.

Northwind

Still, at least she took the time to tell us how incredibly brave she was to write the article. Maybe she’s the hero we need.

jimdubleyou

Whilst the CS on the Embankment was being built, it was a nightmare.

I commuted on it yesterday, there are a couple of waits to get on and off it but I’ll take that any day over the lottery of the traffic light filtering at Charing Cross & Waterloo Bridge.

I also didn’t see that much stationary traffic – or people on bikes using the road.

aracer
    Free Member

Again I’m preaching to the choir, but when I was recently in that there London I came across this gem:
    https://goo.gl/maps/HuBPTfSA74S2

When I first saw it I thought great, proper segregated infrastructure. Until I noticed that it doesn’t really link up with anything and is a pain to get on and off at either end. Went past that several times and didn’t see a single cyclist on it but several on the road – last time was on a Boris bike when I used the parallel road rather than waste 30s at each end getting on and off that.

I imagine that’s the sort of thing JSP is frothing about.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Surely the correct thing to do would be for the cycling community to extend an invite to JSP to join them on a morning commute, to see first hand how bad the cycling infrastructure is?

xyeti
    Free Member

Jim, I work just off the embankment and it has been an absolute nightmare as you say whilst being built, now it’s finished I can honestly say that the traffic lights on the underpass into the city have created an absolute nightmare, the traffic is tailed right back past monument where those traffic lights just add to the congestion, I’ve driven that a route hundreds of times over the past 10 years and now it’s finished the standing traffic is definitely a lot worse, from what I have seen its mainly tourists using the cycle lane and not commuters. And it’s very quiet for a cycle lane in the centre of London.

We were discussing this the other day, we thought making the embankment one way to motorised veh’s and the strand opposite would have been a better option? What do you think? Cycle lanes on both approaches,
    I think it would get veh’s in and away from the city much quicker.
    As you know though the roads in London aren’t really catered for Veh usage and would be much better off restricting certain veh’s to certain times of day or maybe not at all, it’s a tough one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Again I’m preaching to the choir, but when I was recently in that there London I came across this gem:
    https://goo.gl/maps/HuBPTfSA74S2

So to get off it at that end you have to ride across two lanes of oncoming traffic with no priority? Looks like the road is the safer option!

aracer
    Free Member

I would have been getting on it that end, but even so I figured staying on the road is safer – it’s the junctions where you get most of the danger and that just makes them worse. Bizarre, because it’s properly built and segregated just the way infrastructure should be, but totally pointless.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Her arguments in the video clip are completely incoherent. That video of her ranting about how bad it is for pedestrians is filmed on embankment on a large new section of pavement.

I’m don’t go into central London daily but I’ve been up a few times since the new CSH’s started opening at different times of the day. During morning and evening rush hour (hours – for London 7-10 /430-730) they are properly busy – running at near capacity within days of opening. Outside rush hour, in the middle of the day and late in the evening I was surprised how many people were on them. Yes, a higher proportion of tourists outside rush hour but that’s true of the tube/commuter rail lines as well (everywhere except the roads – No tourist would rent a car in London). Ultimately you need a network – there may be outer sections that get very little use until they meet up with further useful infrastructure in the future.

I was surprised how quick they are – you pick up a ‘green wave’ on some sections really well and sail through the junctions. Others aren’t so great but light timings are easily changed.

Look at the use these cycleways are getting already – most of these junctions were picked out because they were the worst for casualties – previously you’d ride out of your way to avoid them. there is massive pent up demand.

Blackfriars Road

Blackfriars Bridge heading south in the A.M.
    [video]https://youtu.be/QLCm2hoM9aE[/video]

Vauxhall Bridge

Oval

Westminster Bridge to Blackfriars
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLsMb1km7MI&feature=youtu.be&a[/video]

nickewen
    Free Member

Just picking up on this thread second time around. What an absolute load of old shite she is talking in both of the articles. Increased pollution?! WTF. Arr aye pet I’m well known for breathing out nitric oxide as I pedal along on my bike you thick ****.

I think some people have just got a block on this stuff and she is obviously one of them. I’ve mentioned it on here before but there are a couple of blokes at work (normally intelligent, sensible people) who strongly dislike cyclists for no apparent/logical reason.

nickewen
    Free Member

Also – the amount of people that see me in cycling gear at work and then stay stuff like “is your car in the garage?” is unbelievable!

Not only is cycling to the office in the city centre cheaper, healthier, etc. etc. it is ******* quicker! Lunchtime rant over.

aracer
    Free Member

Cyclists are an out group – people used to be racist and sexist, but now those are unacceptable people still have to find some “other” to blame

xyeti
    Free Member

I think the apparent hatred towards Cyclists is often from those who want to or once have but don’t actually do it anymore,

dannyh
    Free Member

So, I’m likely (I can’t be arsed to read her article) to be on the opposite side of an argument to Janet Street-Porter?

Sounds like I’m on the right side, then.

Klunk
    Free Member

those poor old pedestrians, never been provided for, maybe we could create a space for them and call it say the pavement, and create crossing points for them where they have the right of way to cross over the cars or on faster roads their own private traffic lights. Dozy bitch.

coconut
    Free Member

I once saw her beat a poor blind child…. she stopped as soon as she knew I had clocked her.

sirromj

I guess being hated is one thing cyclists have in common with JSP.

Thank **** I don’t have to cycle in London, looks aweful.

jimdubleyou

…the traffic lights on the underpass into the city have created an absolute nightmare, the traffic is tailed right back past monument where those traffic lights just add to the congestion…

I didn’t come down Lower Thames Street last night (went over top at Cannon St / Blackfriars). It’s always been a bit crap down there, but take your word for it that it’s got worse – I won’t be on it again until Thursday & it will take a while to see what I think is the nicest route.

Seems like avoiding the crossing at the Blackfriars underpass will be my primary concern, but the boost from having a free run down Lower Thames St might make up for the long wait (which I might not get) .

, from what I have seen its mainly tourists using the cycle lane and not commuters. And it’s very quiet for a cycle lane in the centre of London.

It was chockers about 1815 when I went through – few tourists/Boris bikers, but a lot of commuters too. Waiting to go round Parliament, there were easily 40 riders waiting at the lights and I missed the first cycle, by the time they went green again, another 30 or so had joined us.

We were discussing this the other day, we thought making the embankment one way to motorised veh’s and the strand opposite would have been a better option? What do you think? Cycle lanes on both approaches,
    I think it would get veh’s in and away from the city much quicker.
    As you know though the roads in London aren’t really catered for Veh usage and would be much better off restricting certain veh’s to certain times of day or maybe not at all, it’s a tough one.

Too many cars, too many lorries, too many people.

I think the only solution is to move everybody else up north 🙂

Other than that, a sort of “North Bank” gyratory could work – there are loads of cross roads to use…

chakaping
    Free Member

After seeing her on HIGNFY last night I think it would be kindest if the media were to just stop paying her any attention, I’m not sure she’s fully well.

brooess
    Free Member

After seeing her on HIGNFY last night I think it would be kindest if the media were to just stop paying her any attention, I’m not sure she’s fully well.

+1

She barely said anything on HIGNFY and when she did it was some negative comment about something or somebody, nothing positive to say and she generally looked rather uncomfortable throughout.

I used to have a mate who was generally unhappy with himself who had nothing good to say anything much about anybody – blacks, gays and the working class being his favoured targets. She reminds me of him…

It’s a real shame that this kind of person has happened upon cycling as their latest target (as mentioned above, abuse of most other minorities is legally and socially unacceptable these days – immigrants being the exception) – it’s poisoning the debate and take up of something which would bring innumerable benefits to society…

I’m amazed by those pics of the CSHs – the numbers cycling in rush hour at the end of last year before I left London were fantastic and it looks like it’s getting better and better. bring on even more of it 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Or she’s just an effing idiot?

Anyway, it’s easy – Janet Street-Porter appears on my TV, channel gets changed within 10 seconds.

Same as the radio in the car:
    Halfwit being interviewed? Off.
    Robert Peston talking? Off.

I just wish it was so easy to switch off the muppet in my office who talks bilge all day at 120db……… 😐

skaifan
    Free Member

Can’t she just stick to being a mediocre Welsh “rock” band?

chrispo
    Free Member

Can’t she just stick to being a mediocre Welsh “rock” band?

Very funny

Though not as funny as the aperitif joke at the start of the thread

matts
    Free Member

Janet Street Porter is a highly intelligent, educated person.

Sources please.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Janet Street-Porter's anti-cycling rant in the i’ is closed to new replies.