Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Jammed drill chuck
  • jimmy

Hoping someone can help… I have a Bosch cordless drill and the Chuck has jammed open. I’ve googled it and can’t find anything that helps.

Unscrewed to retaining screw inside the Chuck…

If I grip the outside and run the drill, it turns without loosening.

Videos show using an Allen key to put inside the jaws and knock it round, but no key is the right size (unless its a 9mm which I don’t have).

Anyone had the same have any ideas?

hot_fiat

Have had chucks jam. Usually giving them a damned good hiding with a soft faced hammer fixes things. Is it full of wood dust and plaster? Fill it with Gt85 and leave it for a while then clean it out with cotton buds. Give it another beating and repeat.

kayak23

Videos show using an Allen key to put inside the jaws and knock it round, but no key is the right size (unless its a 9mm which I don’t have).

They use a Torx in this video on this Bosch.

Could be new chuck time if anything like this one with a broken thingy ring.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Pretty much as above I’d use penetrating oil but anything a bit solventy and a bit oily. Leave it a bit then tap it about a bit aslso some gentle tapping on the tip of the jaws with a pinch or a screwdriver.

jimmy

Thanks. @kayak23 that’s the one I watched as it seemed relevant. Need to find a torx big enough.

It’s not jammed with crap, it’s fairly new and only seen light use (more to the annoyance).

RustyNissanPrairie

Blue Bosch drill chucks are crap (we have them at work), they have no grip strength whatsoever.
    Whenever ours does the weird constant ratchety thing a quick bit of back and forth wrist action usually free’s it.

pk13

As above they are Jacobs clones but made especially worse somehow.
    I would hit it until it waves a white flag then swap it out for a metal one if you can find one. The old metal DeWalt ones where very good.

jimmy

I’m a bit confused as to what’s needed. I’ve tried all kinds of wrist action (oo-er) and clamping the Chuck while running the drill. The jaws are just stuck at the back.

If I’m hitting it with a hammer, what am I hitting / hoping to achieve? Just dislodging the jammed jaws? (@pk13 ?)

pk13

Yup sometimes they get stuck at the bottom opened not a lot you can do to get them working again unfortunately.
    Tapping the chuck sometimes unbinds the spines the problem you have is getting the chuck off to replace it even with the screw out as you might need to do the chuck up with an Allen key In it to unthread the chuck spline. https://youtu.be/boehGcrozmE

pk13

Let me check what mine is held on with

pk13

Bosch gsb18
    T25 bit fits snug

jimmy

Thanks. Is that for the big key he’s using at 13s in that video?

I’ve had the retaining screw off no bother.

pk13

Just use a big Allen key in the chuck

squirrelking
    Free Member

I would hit it until it waves a white flag then swap it out for a metal one if you can find one.

55’s and 60’s have metal chucks. My 60 jammed once but I coaxed it closed again and it’s been fine since.

@jimmy
    10-1 you ran it open using the motor? If you did, don’t do that, it jams.

jimmy

10-1 you ran it open using the motor? If

Not to start with, just wrist action locked it.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How many drill chucks, can a Jimmy jam?
    And if a Jimmy jams a drill chuck how should he twist his hands?
    And if he **** it with a hammer, how hard should he hammer the drill chuck that Jimmy jammed?

Hope that helps.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not to start with, just wrist action locked it.

You must have sturdier wrists than me. I thought I was being clever, I was quickly disavowed of that notion…

jimmy

Well, I’m fairly happy with myself. I’ve been reluctant to send the drill back to Bosch for an £80 bill to repair. Having watched that video above I bought an 11 and 12mm Allen key, too small and too big to fit and knock the Chuck round. So I stared at it a bit and there’s a circlip right on the nose. Came off easily, as did the outer chuck assembly. The jaws were revealed and easily moved back in. A bit of jiggery working out how things went back together and it’s working fine. Happy I am.

Also, do t believe all you watch on YouTube. That video’s nonsense.

kayak23

Great 👍

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.