Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 349 total)
  • jacob rees mogg dog
  • councilof10
    Free Member

Well, he’s never going to have to decide to have an abortion, so it’s pretty easy to have convictions about things that don’t affect you.

What a silly thing to say. I have to say, I have very similar views on abortion, although mine are skewed by my own religious beliefs, ie devout atheist.

Abortion is a horrible thing, and it IS, whether you like it or not, the destruction of a human life. We live in a world where society has made it legal for women to make that choice, but it doesn’t suddenly make abortion a nice thing!

In most cases, it’s deemed to be “the lesser of two evils” (apologies for using a religious metaphor), and I, like Mr Rees Mogg, accept it will continue to happen, whether we like it or not.

I’m actually quite grateful to him for bringing it into the public conversation again – I’d never really given it a great deal of thought…

My knee-jerk reaction is of course that victims of rape should be allowed to abort, but I’ve never really thought about it on a deeper level. It is still the ending of a human life, and it makes it all the sadder that a woman who has been brutalised physically, mentally and emotionally then has to make a decision that may well haunt her longer after the scars of her rape have faded.

One thing I admire greatly about JRM is his clarity of thought and his eloquence and succinctness when discussing complex subjects. So I find his ability to discuss such issues both refreshing and, for me at least, quite thought provoking.

It’s when someone starts to justify the rape or incest that we have a problem, eloquently explaining why he finds the termination solution abhorrent is not a problem at all, and those that seek to criticise him because of it merely demonstrate how small-minded they in fact are.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Conclude what you will and react as you please – that’s your prerogative. No one is forcing you to respond to ninfan or anyone else. It’s your choice and therefore your responsibility.

RustySpanner

So the troll bears no responsibility for his actions?

teamhurtmore – Member
    Conclude what you will and react as you please – that’s your prerogative

I know.
    🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, but you can’t control that. Mods do.

RustySpanner

So he is responsibile for his actions?

nickc

JRM’s “conviction” is based entirely on religious dogma (he has admitted as much), therefore it’s an easy decision for him to make (i.e He hasn’t had to make a decision). Presumably if the Catholic church changed it’s view on abortion, Jacob would have to change his view as well.

Of course abortion is a horrible thing, I made no comment that it wasn’t.

Abortion should be imprecise in every case as it can be; to allow for personal thoughts and decision making, personal religious belief and harm to the mother. Legislation has come down to viability and TBH it’s as good (or bad) a determination as any. What it shouldn’t come down to is some sort of dogma based on en-soulment, or miracles, or a requirement to have a steady supply of future parishioners

sbob
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Cite!

How about when in the thread about an innocent woman being murdered by someone driving a car into her, you describing it as a laughing matter?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/charlottesville/page/21

It is sad the depths you will stoop to for attention.

ninfan
    Free Member

JRM’s “conviction” is based entirely on religious dogma (he has admitted as much), therefore it’s an easy decision for him to make (i.e He hasn’t had to make a decision). Presumably if the Catholic church changed it’s view on abortion, Jacob would have to change his view as well.

Indeed, I presume he would.

I pointed out earlier the existence of the Roman Catholic Emancipation Act 1829 that allowed Catholics to serve as MP’s, its easy in modern times to forget the constitutional derivation of such prohibitions (including those preventing a Catholic monarch) was precisely because of the importance of ensuring that decisions were made in the best interests of, and by and on behalf of, the British people, through the crown, rather than being beholden to the Pope. (The aftermath of Brexit mark one played out over several hundred years)

you describing it as a laughing matter?

See, everyone hates Illinois Nazi’s

dissonance

Of course abortion is a horrible thing, I made no comment that it wasn’t.

Wonder where rees-mogg sits on proper sex education and access to contraceptives.
    Since one of the things that really irritates me about the anti abortion mob is there is a major overlap between them and those opposed to sex education.
    Given he is a religious fundamentalist I would guess he is one of them.

dissonance

I pointed out earlier the existence of the Roman Catholic Emancipation Act 1829 that allowed Catholics to serve as MP’s, its easy in modern times to forget the constitutional derivation of such prohibitions (including those preventing a Catholic monarch) was precisely because of the importance of ensuring that decisions were made in the best interests of

Thats one way of reading it. I would say it is wrong though.
    There had been a period of turmoil where each time the monarch changed so did the religion with associated unrest.
    looking at the continent it was even worse so a pragmatic decision was taken to settle on one and end the game of musical chairs.

failedengineer

I’m with Binners, I’d love to see him as Tory leader. Mainly because it will keep the bastards out, but also for the fun factor.

kimbers

thats dangerously close to the mistake everyone made with corbyn!

user-removed
    Free Member

He’s not an evil man, indeed, he comes across as a decent guy. The eternal, internal debate.

He’s also not unintelligent, quite amusing ( at least on Fry’s show ) and quite personable.

And that’s why he’s dangerous. I photographed David Cameron a few years ago whilst he dealt with shareholders in a major concern in Yorkshire. He had all the attributes discussed above but then you remember that his policies are reprehensible. Beyond belief.

The ability to come over as a “nice chap” whilst stabbing you in the back isn’t a skill I’d want in my bag.

dannyh
    Free Member

There’s a few of them lining up for a tilt at the leadership – Rees-Mogg and Soubry are both doing some well-timed grandstanding…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

He’s not an evil man, indeed, he comes across as a decent guy. The eternal, internal debate.

He’s also not unintelligent, quite amusing ( at least on Fry’s show ) and quite personable.

And that’s why he’s dangerous. I photographed David Cameron a few years ago whilst he dealt with shareholders in a major concern in Yorkshire. He had all the attributes discussed above but then you remember that his policies are reprehensible. Beyond belief.

The ability to come over as a “nice chap” whilst stabbing you in the back isn’t a skill I’d want in my bag.

To be fair, given the shit fest that has followed I’m looking back fondly on Cameron and Osborne, as you say at least they had conviction in their small-state beliefs and gave Westminster direction. May, despite calling an election to apparently give her policies a mandate, never actually put forward a manifesto of any note!

BoardinBob

Soubry is a hard core remainer.

If she got the job it would be fantastic but also chaos!

user-removed
    Free Member

“…as you say at least they had conviction in their small-state beliefs and gave Westminster direction”.

You’ve confused yourself – I said nothing of the kind. Easily done in a forum of several hundred people tbf. But I won’t be mis-quoted.

ransos
    Free Member

thats dangerously close to the mistake everyone made with corbyn!

Corbyn’s policies are mainstream social democratic politics, the sort of thing that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow in much of Europe. In contrast, JRM is an extremist.

binners

Let’s be honest…. can anyone see anything other than the Tory party conference next month dissolving immediately into massively vindictive factional warfare, as they once again go at each other like rats in a sack over the EU?

All the little factions will have their favourite pet candidate, as they all jockey for position to replace the malfunctioning, powerless Maybot?

While Jeremy Corbyn sits back looking at his party which, in comparison, will be a picture of single-minded unity?

Who’d have thunk it eh? It’s going to be ****ing brilliant!! 😆

user-removed
    Free Member

I frequently feel stupid in discussions on this forum – a lack of understanding of UK politics despite my best efforts makes it so.

However, having made the effort to actually meet a few of them, some through work and some through curiosity, it’s clear that voting Tory is a vote against humanity.

It’s a vote for money, if you already have it. It’s a vote for the reaping of money if you don’t yet but plan to.

ninfan
    Free Member

Corbyn’s policies are mainstream social democratic politics, the sort of thing that wouldn’t raise an eyebrow in much of Europe. In contrast, JRM is an extremist.

Is Ireland not part of Europe then?

councilof10
    Free Member

…it’s clear that voting Tory is a vote against humanity.

It’s a vote for money, if you already have it. It’s a vote for the reaping of money if you don’t yet but plan to.

And now we know why you frequently feel stupid.

somafunk

I feel he is entitled to express his views on Abortion, not that i agree with them. Likewise i am entitled to express my views regarding his voting record in Parliament.

He’s a bell-end (voting record in Parliament)

user-removed
    Free Member

councilof10, yes I still do thanks but at the very least, I have a life, family and people who love me. And also a thinking brain. Can you say the same?

councilof10
    Free Member

Very much so… Also, I’m utterly bemused at why you’d even ask such a stoopid question!

It’s the ultimate snowflake defence; “I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about but someone loves me”!!! 🙄

user-removed
    Free Member

Ah. So we’ve resorted to “snowflake” have we? Get stuffed.

nickc

s’ok, the use of the snowflake insult is a handy proxy for revealing the alt-right supporters.

RustySpanner

Alt-right sounds harmless, like a keyboard shortcut.

They are right wing extremists and should be labelled as such.

user-removed
    Free Member

I know nickc. And at my age, I should know better! But it still brings my heart rate up and tightens my knuckles for better or waur.

councilof10
    Free Member

the use of the snowflake insult is a handy proxy for revealing the alt-right supporters.

I really enjoyed “An Awesome Wave” but didn’t think “This is All Yours” hit the mark – typical second album syndrome. “Relaxer” demonstrates a far more mature sound, but whether or not they enjoy a repeat of their early success remains to be seen.

Northwind

Seeing actual nazis and the KKK described as alt-right recently was interesting, wasn’t it. I think a lot of people realised it’s just a rebrand of the old right but apparently that job’s now done and they feel comfortable dropping the mask

Flaperon

The irony is that Rees-Mogg’s inability to defend his beliefs other than a blind reliance on faith and doctrine is pretty much identical to that used by Isis and other fundamentalists.

kimbers

councilof10s getting better, yesterday every response also included a free piss-related insult

nickc

I’ve always thought Joe Newman sounded like a whiny cock-bag personally, I can see why you’d like them.

user-removed
    Free Member

The use of music to advance a right wing ideology is nothing new but it’s still pretty pathetic.

Lets start with Wagner shall we?

There’s not much in the world so sad as an unloved child who desperately seeks to fulfil himself online.

oikeith

The irony is that Rees-Mogg’s inability to defend his beliefs other than a blind reliance on faith and doctrine

Is his faith not his defensive for his beliefs?

Many people I know just have social media,facebook or fakenews to base their ever changing beliefs on!

RustySpanner

councilof10 – Member

It’s the ultimate snowflake defence; “I haven’t a clue what I’m talking about but someone loves me”!!!

Can you explain what this means?

councilof10
    Free Member

There’s not much in the world so sad as an unloved child who desperately seeks to fulfil himself online.

Or a man of advancing years and poor education whose knuckles tighten and heartrate quickens when he walks headlong into a joke set up by none other than himself…

‘twould bring a tear to a glass eye…

ransos
    Free Member

Is his faith not his defensive for his beliefs?

Yes. The question is why that justification is accorded special dispensation.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 349 total)

The topic ‘jacob rees mogg dog’ is closed to new replies.