• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by v7fmp.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • i’ve signed up for the LONDON LANDMARKS HALF MARATHON… Help!!!
  • v7fmp

Hey all,

I may have made a terrible error in judgement. Bear with me on this. A couple of months ago a buddy asked me to do parkrun with him. Having never been a runner, i wasn’t overly interested, but went on the website, signed up and got my barcode. I mentioned i had and was told i would be picked up at 8:30 Saturday morning.

I quite enjoyed it, in a type 2 sort of way. I have since partaken in 7 more and done some casual running locally. Achieving my first EVER 10k last Sunday morning.

Another invite from my friend to enter the London Landmarks Half Marathon. I looked and all the regular places were gone. I didn’t have the inclination to take one of the sponsored places. Getting money from people seemed too much hassle, especially when everyone is feeling the pinch.

Alas, it played on my mind. Not only the challenge of doing a half marathon, but also trying to raise the £300 for charity to qualify for it. So this morning i did the necessary and signed up. I have decided to run for Movember. A great charity that helps with men’s mental health and prostate cancer. Both of which i am very aware of as a middle aged man (will be 42 by the time the half marathon comes around).

This thread is therefore two-fold. Firstly, can anyone spare a couple of quid to help me and hopefully many others. Even if its a solidary pound, my thanks would be endless. But absolutely no pressure if giving strangers off the internet money isn’t your thing (or if you don’t have it to spare… i mean… who does?!). If you can, then please pledge it here….

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/matpewsey

Then secondly and probably most importantly, i have approx. 6 months to get me from running 10k to 21k… HELP!!! Any tips, advice or feedback is greatly received. In my mind i just run a few times a week and gradually increase my distance. Or do i need to vary things? I am all ears!

thanks in advance to anyone who supports me 🙂

lunge

Then secondly and probably most importantly, i have approx. 6 months to get me from running 10k to 21k… HELP!!! Any tips, advice or feedback is greatly received. In my mind i just run a few times a week and gradually increase my distance. Or do i need to vary things? I am all ears!

Congrats, I’m told it’s a great event.

6 months is plenty of time to get ready for a half and your ideas of slowly building distance is about right. The only thing I’d add is to try to vary the pace if your runs, some slow and easy, some faster and harder.
    Don’t worry about getting up to half distance either, 10 or 11 miles is more than long enough, you’ll find the extra 3 miles easy enough on race day.

Get yourself on the running thread too, lots of helpful advice and some serious runners too. https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-running-2018-thread-beginnersultraswhatever/page/180/

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve been in your shoes @v7fmp – as lunge says, 6 months is plenty of time, and the London landmarks route is pretty flat so you’re in a good position.
    Also as lunge says jump on the running thread. There’s a nice mixture of abilities and experience on there. Some absolute weapons who can run at elite pace through to plodders like myself. It’s very friendly and a good source of information

v7fmp

thanks chaps!

And thanks for the donation @spawnofyorshire its much appreciated!

v7fmp

shameless (and only) bump to try and get you fine folk to throw a few coins in the pot 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.