Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I've got piles..
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

..and piles of garden waste stacking up in my giant burden of a garden.

We have a wheely bin for garden waste collected every fortnight, I’ve got enough to fill it 50 times over I reckon – and by the time that lot is shifted I’ll have a whole new load grown and ready for cutting.

It’s not really suitable for burning as most of it is green, and I’m too tight to pay for a skip.
    What do I do?
    Goat?

khani
    Free Member

Try to imagine a picture of a can of petrol and a lighter..
    I cba to actually post one tbh…

5thElefant
    Free Member

Compost heap. I’ve filled my 2m3 heap up 50 times already. It’s magic*

*or somebody is nicking it

mudshark
    Free Member

If you’re garden’s that big just create a big pile down the bottom and let it rot.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Neighbours with free space in their garden waste bin?

If you have access to a car/van, your local council recycling centre.

I know it is not very eco-friendly, but there is nothing as far as I’m aware to stop you bagging the excess and putting it in your general waste bin.

nedrapier

cage trailer hire. 12ft x 5 ft x 5ft.

You and mate and as many trips to the tip as you can in a day or a weekend. £55/£75 for 2 days’ hire with the companies near me. loads cheaper than a skip, and you’ll get rid of load more. A good sight quicker and cleaner than burning, too.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Good ideas. Trouble is my garden is tiered, with several sets of steps leading to the front access – so wheel barrows etc are a nightmare to get around.

Re creating compost pile – previous owners of property already did that as left us a huge festering mess at the bottom of the garden..
    Man, I should’ve bought the smaller house.

Anyone used a mulcher?
    Thinking about grinding the whole lot into tiny fragments and redistributing down my trouser legs, a la great escape.

nedrapier

my garden is tiered, with several sets of steps leading to the front access – so wheel barrows etc are a nightmare to get around.

Big tarp, massive armloads on top, Draggy McDragface, cage trailer, armloads, driving, armloads, driving, repeat.

Edit: drag the tarpload straight up the trailer gate/ramp, tug it out.

We’ve got a flat garden next to the road, and I wouldn’t dream of using the barrow for green waste. Barely get anything in there!

project
    Free Member

Garden shredder type thing, minces all the stuff up smaller, so you can get more in a wheelie bin, and get somme large polybulk bags from a local builders merchant and fill them with the shredings.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Goat

mudshark
    Free Member

Trouble is my garden is tiered

So it could be made flatter by piling your waste appropriately?

CaptainSlow

If the compost pile is a big sloppy mess, its probably got too much grass in it. If you’re going to compost grass add lots of straw.

Id be tested to either burn it or run over it with your mower and compost it (see above about adding straw)

legend
    Free Member

Just put it in your neighbours garden and hope they don’t come by for a while

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not I’d they’re Iranian though. They can get a bit tetchy, I hear….

DickBarton

Fill car with waste and take it to the tip? Speak to Council about additional bins and get them filled?

Stop wasting time in the garden and go out ride your bike more!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I've got piles..’ is closed to new replies.