Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • ITV – why…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone else think that ITV is utter (sounds like white 😉 )? Absolute complete drivel morning noon and night. Everything is about ‘celebtrities’ and beautiful people with programmes which are completely vacuous. The only highlight (and the only time I’l watch) is Harry Hill.

And my personal bugbear, their weather presenters are just that, with very few with a geogrephy degree let alone metoerological training…

Rant over..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Still time to edit it.

trailmonkey

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Harry Hill is just phoning it in now tho.

Anyways. ITV cannot be all bad given they are airing the new Pilger doc on the 14th Dec.

Edit: Banhammer time!

Edric64
    Free Member
    j_me
    Free Member

…the clock is ticking.

Jamie
    Free Member

The other guy blinked…..

loddrik
    Free Member

(wipes brow…)

teef
    Free Member

As I call it ITVIdiots Television Vision – television for idiots. Looking at last Saturday night’s schedule:

Britons do the funniest things
    All New Whose Been Framed
    Harry Hill
    X Factor
    I’m a Celebrity

Well I rest my case – the only show ITV missed out on was Big Brother.

toys19
    Free Member

Loddrik, this is nothing new, when I was a kid ITV was not allowed at all in our house. My parents thought it was “what you said” and hated adverts, so we just were not permitted to watch it. I cannot say I can think of a single program 70’s/80’s that I missed. There was a period when we had no TV at all and I never saw Not the nine oclock news, which everyone talked about in the playground next day..

Jamie
    Free Member

As I call it ITV – Idiots Television Vision – television for idiots.

With zingers like that you should write for ITV.

white101

TDF and Cricket….that is all

Edric64
    Free Member

Magpie or Blue Peter then? In our house it was Blue Peter as it was educational.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Oops, wrong thread, sorry

Jamie
    Free Member

I think matthew_h is lost 😉

Pook

ITV was always the idiots’ channel in our house too.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Even the controller said it’s lowest common denominator television. They are struggling for advertising revenue as the put out rubbish all the time, so people don’t watch, so they have to run more rubbish with phone-ins to make the revenues up. Then they pull out gems like only putting ITV4 HD on Sky when they were supposed to be supporting Freesat. I hope they disappear down the pit of mediocrity they have created.

Barelyincontrol
    Free Member

Looks like matthew_h’s brain is addled from too much ITV.

teagirl
    Free Member

Downton Abbey was good telly. Spoilt by far too many commercial breaks tho’. Can’t just think of anything else of note….

aracer
    Free Member

TDF and Cricket….that is all

…and their coverage of the cricket is, er, what he said up there.

trailmonkey

Someone’s got to say it, what exactly is wrong with lowest common denominator tv ?
    If you want something more intellectual, watch BBC4. I’m sure ITV viewers would find that equally uninspiring.

😛

teef
    Free Member

Cheer up – Dancing on Ice will be back on soon.

Torvil & Dean – how the mighty fall – from Olympic Champions to being reduced to appearing on this.

Weasel
    Free Member

Awful dumbed down programmes that all seem to revolve around becoming a “celebrity”.

teef
    Free Member

Someone’s got to say it, what exactly is wrong with lowest common denominator tv ?
    If you want something more intellectual, watch BBC4. I’m sure ITV viewers would find that equally uninspiring.

If we relied on the lowest common denominator we’d still be stratching around in the forest leaf litter

john_drummer
    Free Member

Not The Nine O’Clock News was on BBC2 IIRC

anyway, probably showing my age, but didn’t the following come from ITV?
    The Sweeney
    The Professionals
    The New Avengers
    Inspector Morse

ok nothing recent, I grant you…
    Still, it could be worse. It could be Channel 5 😯

trailmonkey

If we relied on the lowest common denominator …………

You haven’t got to rely on it. There’s this thing called the remote control. Maybe it’s dropped down amongst the leaf litter, have a rummage around.

emsz
    Free Member

I luv x factor.

And Corrie ( how exciting was last night!!!)

Don’t watch anything else on it though.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I didn’t see any telly last night. was the tram crash as spectacular as the Emmerdale Jumbo Jet crash? “Archie, Archie, where are you Archie?”

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Looking at last Saturday night’s schedule:

Britons do the funniest things
    All New Whose Been Framed
    Harry Hill
    X Factor
    I’m a Celebrity

Well I rest my case

What is your case ? That those are all programmes that no one wants to watch ? Or programmes which are highly popular ?

The OP asked for a justification for ITV, you appear to have listed a variety of programmes which I suspect have fairly high viewing figures. So has ITV justified itself or not ?

MrOvershoot

toys19 – Member

Loddrik, this is nothing new, when I was a kid ITV was not allowed at all in our house. My parents thought it was “what you said” and hated adverts, so we just were not permitted to watch it. I cannot say I can think of a single program 70’s/80’s that I missed.
    Same here, but with both parents in education I guess it was to be expected.

teef
    Free Member

What is your case ? That those are all programmes that no one wants to watch ? Or programmes which are highly popular ?

The OP asked for a justification for ITV, you appear to have listed a variety of programmes which I suspect have fairly high viewing figures. So has ITV justified itself or not ?

I think you’ve just proved you’re an idiot

Pieface

I don’t like ITV but its popular. Alot of people at work talk about X factor and I’m a celebrity. They must be doing something right

ton

i think all the tv channels are rubbish to be honest……….even all the sky ones.
    just varying degrees of rubbishness seperate them.

radio 2 is awesome tho.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you’ve just proved you’re an idiot

Well me being an idiot was never in question.

So let’s stick to the actual question.

What was your point in listing some ITV programmes which probably have fairly high viewing figures ?

Are you saying that ITV is doing what it’s suppose to be doing, ie, broadcasting programmes which people want to watch ?

Or have you just got yourself in a bit of a muddle ……. and now no longer sure what meant ?

CountZero

Ton said all tv is rubbish. I’m currently watching The Joy Of Statistics on BBC4. There’s some good programmes on Friday and Saturday on BBC4 about folk music and dance. Not to everyone’s taste, but certainly not rubbish. ITV has Poirot and Lewis, two programmes that are beautifully filmed and acted with excellent production values. I have a fairly well developed dreck filter and am perfectly capable of finding plenty to watch on tv that quite clearly isn’t dumbed-down, lowest common denominator programming, but equally clearly doesn’t appeal to the average tv viewer. My folks, who are in their 80’s, watch a fair number of quiz shows, police and airport reality shows, sport, and a few other odds and ends, but no soaps or ‘reality’ shows like I’m A Celebrity…. Does that mean they watch rubbish? According to ton, yes, but they just want to be entertained, so it’s not rubbish to them. It’s all relative.

thomthumb
    Free Member

for northerners innit.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I only watch ITV inbetween reading the daily mail.

kimbers

its for old people

toys19
    Free Member

john_drummer – Member

Not The Nine O’Clock News was on BBC2 IIRC

Ahhh John, if you had read my post correctly at no time did I associate NTNON with ITV, methinks scan reading is your hobby.

Adders69
    Free Member

Have to agree that ITV is mostly mindless drivvel, but another couple of good oldies spring to mind as well as the fantastic ‘Morse’ :

Sherlock Holmes
    Brideshead Revisited
    Prime Suspect

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘ITV – why…?’ is closed to new replies.