Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Is your commuter your most ridden bike?
  • cp

yeah, if I was doing more miles, I’d have something more exotic. Mine’s a cheapy built from spares get me to work & round town – it gets parked outside the sports centre, in town centre etc… so I don’t want anything too bling for nickability reasons. It’s also not the end of the world if it does get nicked…

D0NK

Yes by quite a long way, don’t have a pic so here have a look at a random strangers pompino, mine’s similar.
    Stock parts replaced as they wear out/get stolen/get destroyed by cars, 25miles return commute, 3-4 times a week. I just managed more offroad miles than road last year so I guess if I only had one mtb (shudder) that’d do more miles than the commuter.

Bernaard
    Free Member

10 miles to work, 10 miles back.
    Have started upping the distance of late to make it 15m each way with a play in the woods :mrgreen:

D0NK

Quite a few on here confirming what I’ve said in the past: It’s worth spending a fair bit on your commuter as it’s he bike you’ll be on the greatest amount of time

BUT your going to be wearing it out double quick time, brakes, wheels, tyres, drivechain. Plus if you’re like me you neglect it and if you have to lock it anywhere bits get pinched (even bolted on bits dammit!) If I lived in california and had a good xc commute and a safe place to store it at work I’d have a very nice mountain bike. As it is I use a mudguarded SS road bike with cheap to replace parts 🙂

MartinGT
    Free Member

Yes (Ill post pics from home

Commute 20 miles a day and love it. I keep a spreadsheet of my miles per day and I have just worked out I have done 15% more cycling on my commuter this year, which suprises me!

I love commuting on the bike and when I cant I am a tad gutted.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

My commuter is also my training bike… Covers 200-250miles a week!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Quite a few on here confirming what I’ve said in the past: It’s worth spending a fair bit on your commuter as it’s he bike you’ll be on the greatest amount of time.

Agreed- it’s the only consistent riding I get lately, so I want to get something out of it other than labouring around on some piece of crud.

ton

fella’s………………commuters rock!
    i find them just as, and in some cases more interesting than posh bikes.

8)

DezB
    Free Member

here have a look at a random strangers pompino

just thought it was worth repeating 🙂

D0NK

🙂

traildog
    Free Member

I would disagree about spending more on the commute, as you wear parts out so quickly. Expensive race weight parts cost more and wear out quicker. Training/commuting bike has the cheap bits, saving the nice parts of the special ride.

druidh
    Free Member

traildog – Member
    I would disagree about spending more on the commute, as you wear parts out so quickly. Expensive race weight parts cost more and wear out quicker.

Expensive doesn’t have to mean race weight – think gear hubs, titanium frame etc….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Easily unfortunately 🙁

Although I try not to look at it as commuting, just as a road ride with panniers. 6 miles into work, 12-18 on the way back, repeat that ~5times a week 3 weeks out of 4.

Compared to MTBing where I’m luck to ride 25 miles a week on a Saturday, or if I’ve not commuted I might get in 20miles in an evening, but 7 of that is the road to/from Swinley.

Kahurangi

BUT your going to be wearing it out double quick time, brakes, wheels, tyres, drivechain

Disc brakes on the road – I think my pads will outlast the rest of the bike at the current rate.

Wheels, still going strong. Pro 2 front, Alfine rear. Strong and smooth. Tyres got loads of life in them still. Seriously, hardly look used.

drivretrain? Still on first chain, had a bath at the weekend, it’s still shiny and good. A little worn in (from looking at the chainring) but will last another year.

9 months in, 100 miles a week in all weathers.

I really need to take a glory photo of this… when it’s light again 🙁

meehaja
    Free Member

can’t be bothered taking a picture, but my commuter, a 2008 Kona Jake the Snake with mudguards, a rear rack and pink grip tape does 30 miles a day between Bradford and Leeds and is my most ridden bike by a long way, especially sonic I haven’t ridden MTB for months!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

is it just me, or do people have their drops and STI’s setup at some odd angles??

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

almost everyday = 10 miles to train station, 1 mile to office, various miles to appointments.

Kona Sutra -full mud guards, front and rear racks, etc. etc. Full set of panniers, front, back, top rack allows me take all I needwhere ever I need. Love it !

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Is your commuter your most ridden bike?’ is closed to new replies.