Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is this tyre legal ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ve been told yes by independent fitter

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not for much longer. You will through to the carcase soon. Need to getting your wheel alignment sorted.

woody2000

Is it:

“At least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre 3/4 of the tread and around the entire circumference”??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

regardless, not sure I’d want to be driving it

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yip.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If the tread across the central 75% is at least 1.6mm then its ok (other rules notwithstanding), which it looks to be going by the indicators.

MartynS

is that from a merc vito?

our works vans do that. as long as the canvass isn’t showing your fine

spooky_b329

I vote legal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

see that mostly on the rear of overloaded vans and misalligned front ends…..

plenty life in it yet – how ever your vehicle will be handling like crap and wear it wont be long till its through to the carcase – usually giving a nice flat tire at the worst possible time….

bigblackshed

I’d say that was legal going by the tread wear indicators. Need to get the tracking sorted.

Marge
    Free Member

Looks legal from the photo

(tyre engineer)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Legal and good are not necessarily the same thing.

plyphon
    Free Member

(tyre engineer)

I changed a my rear tyre once too 😉

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

They are VW Carat alloys for my campervan purchased from another forum (oh know I’m a proper geek cos I use two forums 😀 )

So they haven’t been on my van yet ! But took them to local tyre place and he said fine !

tracking on my van is fine btw

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst we are on the subject of tyres, anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of the sawtooth pattern from the inside edge of tyres?

Marge
    Free Member

Whilst we are on the subject of tyres, anyone got any suggestions for getting rid of the sawtooth pattern from the inside edge of tyres?

Switch the rims from one side to the other. (best is to actually switch all 4 corner to corner but this will also help)

parkesie
    Free Member

Looks legal from photo, shit but legal.
    Actual tyre sniffer.

nealglover
    Free Member

often solved by fitting new shocks.

sbob
    Free Member

plyphon – Member

I changed a my rear tyre once too

Fiat?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

okay so I think changing at least two of them is a must since there are some actual tyre experts on here (love this forum)

brands if they are being sold in this country they must have to be safe ?

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk

205 70 14 with at least 98 ? load rating though at the mo the present ones are 95 😯

whats wrong with these ?

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/jinyu/yh11/205-70-r14-98t-175129

Jinyu ?

Evermax ?

Nexen ?

thanks so far ?

sssimon
    Free Member

Nexen would be best of a bad bunch, don’t assume because they are being sold in the uk they are safe, they could be as hard as the road and mostly made from plastic

sssimon
    Free Member

Oh and the tyre in the OP is legal, but will wear through in 500-100 miles most likely, you have no idea when and where.

molgrips
    Free Member

often solved by fitting new shocks.

It happened because of a broken spring, now fixed, but the tyres are still wobbly.

Switch the rims from one side to the other

That keeps the sawtooth on the inside, just makes it rotate the other way?

Swapping the tyres around would work though since the sawtooth wouldbe on the outside and due to the camber of the wheel, not be touching the ground quite so much.

New tyres next spring I think.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks all

what a minefield !

timba
    Free Member

Some of the lesser-known brands will be made by the better known companies, article here…

stumpy01

molgrips – Member

Is this on the Passat?
    I used to get it on my Ibiza and the garage reckoned that certain vag cars are prone to it when using certain tyres due to the suspension set up.

This was happening with Kumho tyres so I swapped to a different brand and the problem went away.
    Dunno if a different model of Kumho would also have solved it too.

Northwind

unfitgeezer – Member

brands if they are being sold in this country they must have to be safe ?

Safe is relative- my car came with 4 fine examples of cheap rubbish on it (I forget the names, 2 autogrips, maybe 2 nexens? Anyway, they were legal and I suppose did the job but grip was poor, wet grip awful. You can, sort of, drive around that day to day but in an emergency it could easily bite you. Replacing them with midrange allweather tyres made a ridiculously big difference.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I used to get it on my Ibiza and the garage reckoned that certain vag cars are prone to it when using certain tyres due to the suspension set up.”

mk4 golfs were – they had silly amounts of negative camber just to make them handle vaugely sensibly…..

We wore through the inner edges of 2 sets of tires – i asked the garage to sort the camber issue as obviously it was not right ….. they did – i returned 3 days later to have it put back as was as it was dangerous – im not an aggressive driver but the car just didnt want to go round corners.

takisawa2

There’s a make called Khumo.
    They seem to grip well & last.
    Have had some truly awful budgets in the past though.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is this tyre legal ?’ is closed to new replies.