Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Is there too much emphasis on kit in mtbing?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

I think that there is, I think that it's become too much of an industry with media in the main serving to feed us the need to buy more and more stuff (that we probably don't need, as much as they say we do). Does the latest uberbike really make us enjoy our hobby more, or does it just empty bank accounts and actually make notuch difference to your enjoyment at all?

What are your views?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

BAN HIM!

cp

you should see triathlon for emphasis on kit!!!!

sheldona
    Free Member

People who can't ride very well seem to like to have the latest and gratest kit with longer than needed travel etc etc….

Just go to Cwmcarn, Afan etc to see for yourself ;-0

EDIT, but who cares if they are enjoying themselves!

epicsteve
    Free Member

People who can't ride very well seem to like to have the latest and gratest kit with longer than needed travel etc etc….

Have we met?

Smee
    Free Member

Yes.

DezB
    Free Member

Nothing could make me enjoy my hobby more. Except maybe more time to do it.

Oh, and one of them new carbon Yetis.

joolsburger
    Free Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkit…..

tinsy
    Free Member

When you need new stuff its nice to buy the best you can afford/justify, it doesnt make it more fun, but rubbish stuff ruins rides.

I do get a kick out of a bargain mind.

mrmo
    Free Member

simple, you can buy kit, you can't buy fitness or skill.

i think it also why you get a lot car park ATKNI wannabes, they are capable of blinding you with talk but when it comes to riding they are crap.

votchy
    Free Member

No different to any other sport really, golf, fishing, running etc etc manufacturers have to make a living you know

shortcut

Yes – it is media and industry led obsession with new kit. In many ways it is good, making bikes, lighter, faster, stronger. Clothes more water proof, breathable or comfortable and shiney bits just lovelier!

Good – yes, you bet.

Does it improve the experience? This is questionable. I know I enjoy riding now more than ever before and I have been doing it for years. A lot of this is however down to the people I ride with and the fact we have had a nice summer and that I am fitter.

Good / Bad – who cares. Yes there is an emphasis on websites like this because people are bored and kit is nice and something we all have in common.

Threads about rides are good, but only for about 5 minutes and the people who enjoyed them! So they have less interest.

So…. emphasis on kit exists – who cares whether it is enough or two much. It just is. If you enjoy new kit that is great, if you get satisfaction from older stuff or indeed no stuff at all, that is fine too.

miketually
    Free Member

It depends upon the rider.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

agree with Tinsy – rubbish stuff does ruin rides, or lets say it can ruin rides.

There maybe an emphasis on kit but who cares – it's part of the hobby isn't it. I can spend hours trawling the internet for the perfect piece of kit at the perfect price – it isn't gonna make me any better but I enjoy knowing about stuff.

All sports, hobbies, daily pursuits require kit.

Kit is good.

GaryLake
    Free Member

No one makes anyone buy anything, we all choose to buy it. I'd only be spending it on cameras, hi-fi, a car, or some other pointless hobby.

At least this one keeps me fit.

Yes there's a lot of all gear no idea sorts at Afan/Cwmcarn but seriously so what? They're enjoying themselves and they're normally happy to move over if you ask nicely?

I'm always curious to know what the OP rides in these sorts of threads because 9 times out of ten it's something like a GT Avalanche or a Carerra and it turns out it's just a huge chip-on-shoulder, inverse snobbery type thing… Not saying there's anything wrong with these bikes, but often their owners on message boards seem to have a subconscious problem with them…

nicemonkey
    Free Member

Yes there is a lot of emphasis on kit but without a bike the downhills would be a lot less fun! 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Ponders while scratching chin looking at new Thomson seat post that arrived to my desk this morning. 😕

DezB
    Free Member

shortcut has it –

"kit is nice "

MrSmith
    Free Member

people seem to change their bikes every year when their really is no need and always seem to be buying the latest gizmo or swapping forks all the time.
    i can't see the point in it myself, the rampant consumerism has everything to do with a childlike addictive personality craving instant gratification but little to do with actual cycling

DezB
    Free Member

I'm always curious to know what the OP rides in these sorts of threads

Topics started
    8.what size bb for my Gary fisher cake? – Started: 3 months ago | No replies.
    10.FS Dialled Bikes Prince Albert Frame – Started: 5 months ago | Most recent reply: 4 months ago

sharki
    Free Member

Agreed, some riders obsession with the latest kit offerings make them forget about the riding, and the true essence of why most people ride mountain bikes.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Hey Gary, I have a Carrera and the Fury is a great bike that has served me well over the last two years! I have no chip on my shoulder at all (but I do have a week old '09 Fuel EX 9 in the shed now as well). 😉 <-EDIT, missed my smilie Gary 🙂
    The bike makes stuff easier and I get less of a battering but mainly I think I can do stuff now, so I do it.
    So the bike does make me a better rider I guess? So will the tubeless kit when it arrives, if I get waterproof shorts to keep my ass dry in the rain, that will just make it more comfortable.
    So yea, kit is good/necessary, just not all of it.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sorry Tracker, I was just being very flippant, I used to post on BikeRadar a lot and what I described was literally a one-a-day occurrence… these threads end up screaming here we go again to me

simonk
    Free Member

Yes 🙂 personally i like things simple and basic, rigid bike with big tyres, all honesty i ride better.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I havent ridden my bike in about 2mths now. Too busy with playing football and running my sons football team now.

Anyhow i have now got to the point where every time i walk past my bike i realise what a money pit it was/is. Its not overly bling, just a pipedream sirius with XT/XTR drivetrain/hope hoops etc. Maybe a bit over £1k. Well as i havent been riding i havent been looking at the grips that are just a little better than the last ones for £20. Or the tyres which suit wet weather cos my bonty tyres are too worn for £50 or the replacement BB for £40 etc etc etc. Thats without having to buy a new winter set of clothing because the current gear is hanging together £££££.

Biking costs big bucks and there is nothing wrong with that in itself. I do however question peoples priorities. I would hazard that the vast majority of people are into Mountain Biking for the gear and bling as much as the actual riding.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

i see it from both angles as i have a shop and make a good living out of various levels of kit addiction…but your right to question it.i rode to work this morning on my outrageous carbon road bike,with more than 600 quids worth of clothing on pondering wether i was a happier biker…

well the bike is truly faultless which is nice and i was relatively dry/warm on a 20 mile commute(it was raining the whole way) great kit does work better than i ever remember it working(v-brakes in mud,waterproof jackets that didnt breath,gears that never shifted very quickly,front forks that work,even with my weight! the list is endless)

im much keener as i get older on better stuff and most of it works now…new products every so often come out and they are truly brilliant(such as the new lights that are available)
    i think these will revolutionise how we all think about road bikes in winter (ie no winter bike needed) what a great product!
    http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b41s80p8417&z=10423

D0NK

Are we obsessed with kit?
    (sweeping generalisation) absolutley! and nowt wrong with that, just as long as you don't forget to ride the thing.

I would just point out that anyone who only ever rides blinged up fs bikes should try a rigid pig iron bike from time to time to remind you of simpler times and shear enjoyment (and makes you more appreciative of the expensive stuff you spent so much on)

🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

does the Pope shit in the woods ?

MrAgreeable

I think we're all dining at the same banquet, it's just that some of us are using the posh silverware. 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Look at bikes today compared to 1999, or 1989……I think there have been massive improvements.

But what will we have in 2019? Will we see as big leaps forward? I doubt it myself. Most of the current materials are getting pretty well optimised, suspensions designs are more mature now (tried out most of the rubbish ideas), tyres are pretty clever, the humble deraileur has been massively refined….All thanks to us lapping up the latest designs of course.

So maybe as the kit levels off it will get a bit less geeky, and concentrate more on the riding, the trails, the view.

Checked out a couple of TT/aero forums recently 😯 too geeky and seems to involve throwing huge amounts of cash at diminishing returns

oldgit
    Free Member

Talking about this last night, and I really have reached a point were I can't be doing with spending on stuff. As long as the bikes work I'm happy.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm certainly aware that I now think that some things are indispensible even though not having them a couple of years ago didn't stop me doing stuff and having a good time. I'm thinking more of walking/climbing stuff more than MTBing because I've only got into MTBing when I had a bit more income, but back when I got into climbing I had very little kit and got by. Now if I've forgotten something or am missing some piece of kit I often see it as a real problem, so I think there is a tendency to allow it to become a bit too prominent in your life.

That said, there's no denying that good kit is worth having and can make you a lot more comfortable.

crazy-legs

Kit is good and necessary yes but what gets me is the way that it's thrown at you. Company A makes a bike X which the mags rave about, it's the "perfect" UK trail bike. Next year they move the pivot point by a couple of mm, change the bearing size and call it the X1.
    Mags rave about it, say how much better it is and suddenly the X is dead, in fact when you come to replace the bearings in your X they're not made anymore cos X1 is now 'the standard'.

Kit is all well and good but the proliferation of "standards", none of which are actually standard at all is a total pain. It makes life very difficult for small bike shops who simply can't stock everything and for customers who get thoroughly confused.

I'm all for development and improvement but it's got to the point where there's no massive leap, it's all steady trickle trickle but which the industry has to try and convince people is new and radical.

JaceFace
    Free Member

does the pope shit in the woods ?

But what's the sound of one hand wiping?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can't be doing with spending on stuff. As long as the bikes work I'm happy.

if only it were that simple 🙁

the humble deraileur has been massively refined

how so? Apart from different methods of cable entry the seem much as they always have been…

Junkyard
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    Are we obsessed with kit?
    (sweeping generalisation) absolutley! and nowt wrong with that, just as long as you don't forget to ride the thing

Agree if it goes on the **** bikes/fleet as for the clothes ALDI all the way ?

PS he does actualy ride said rigid from time to time and I still cant keep up with him 😳

crazy-legs

Actually the main thing that gets me is the thought (in most indutries/professions) that buying Shiny New Thing A will make them 'better' in whatever perceived fashion (ie a better rider).
    In bike terms it's even more difficult to define. Buying a 6" travel full sus doesn't make you a better rider, it arguably makes you *worse* The rider still has the same skill level but the bike is so good that it basically allows you to get away with being rubbish. People concentrate far too much on kit and not enough on their own basic skills/fitness a lot of the time.
    The same is true in most equipment driven industries TBH. Photography is another good example.

MrAgreeable

I'm all for development and improvement but it's got to the point where there's no massive leap, it's all steady trickle trickle but which the industry has to try and convince people is new and radical.

Very true and it's also noticeable that many genuine advances in riding (in the sense of doing stuff that no-one thought was possible on a bike) tend to come from people with rigid forks and 1 gear – think Danny Macaskill, Scotty Cranmer et al.

D0NK

Will we see as big leaps forward? I doubt it myself.

Burn the heretic! there will always be big leaps forward year on year (the nice glossy adverts say so!)

Still waiting for cheap light reliable efficient belt drive, hub geared systems (I won't hold my breath)

mcboo
    Free Member

I love buying top end stuff but then I'm a total label-queen. If you buy wisely good stuff lasts for ever, my old XTR dual shifters and mechs and brakes are starting to look a bit bashed up but still work perfectly after 5yrs. I took great pleasure in putting them on a shiny new Ti frame recently along with a King headset (in red, white and blue) and Thomson stem/post.

……and now and again something comes along that just looks lovely and will make riding more fun. Lapierre 2010 full carbon Zesty frame I am looking at you. That or the the Blur carbon……ooooooooh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Is there too much emphasis on kit in mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.