• This topic has 61 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by paton.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Is there a winter lube that doesn’t turn to black gunk?
  • tjagain

If you were getting residue on the chainrings something was wrong with your application methods?  Maybe not hot enough?  IME of using it for more than 5 years on 7 bikes I never get a build up of residue ‘cos the outside of the chain is clean.  When yo pull the chain out of the tin it should be hot enough that the excess all drips off leaving just the wax in the rollers and a very thi9n coating on the outside.

Want to sell me your tin scienceofficer?  I feel a little guilt ‘cos I pursuaded you to buy it and I willnever use anything else again

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Nah, I chalked it up to experience and moved on. Chucked it out years ago!

You really ought not feel guilty. It’s not as if you made me buy it.

The-Duke

Been using Wickens and Soderstrom N.o 5 for the last few months and its far better than anything else I’ve tried, pricey though but well worth it.

tjagain

I am so evangelical about the putoline that I will offer to treat anyones chain for them.  Edinburgh bsed or you can post it to me.  The other thing is the cheapness.  a kilo for £30 which lasts me for 5+ years

splashdown
    Free Member

Had good results with both Viking Lube (blue stuff) and Squirt Lube (white jizzy stuff).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Whereas I’m perfectly happy to make a recommendation based on my own experience, but I’m not so committed that I must prove to everyone I’m right by taking such extreme measures.😉

tjagain

Its not about proving I am right 😉  Its about wanting to save folk money in chain wear and expensive ineffective lubes.  Its about trying to help my fellow mtbers 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You and I have been on this forum for a very long time TJ. Your personality type has always been to prove you’re right.

It doesn’t matter the topic, for you, it’s point of principle. Why do you think you get into so many arguments?

We’re really not talking big money here anyway, although, I appreciate you are Scottish😁

johnners
    Free Member

“What sort of crazy wax has a melting point higher than 100c?”

Not Putoline, the manufacturer gives the MP as 68c, flashpoint 200c. I think TJ is overdoing it a bit if his is boiling off water. Though I suppose if you’ve not dried your chain properly it’s one way of doing it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

‘I appreciate you are Scottish’

He’s not you know….

blurty

I use gearbox oil. Clings well and runs relatively clean.

£6/ l

SimonR

Muc Off Dry Ceramic most of the time then Purple Extreme if it looks like it’s going to be really wet.

Both seem to clean off well using a bit of that Fenwicks Foaming chain cleaner.

andybrad

hmm i replied to this ages ago.

Anyway squirt. all year round. stick it on when you get home and jobs a good un.

Yak

Might have to try W&S based on all the above.

I do have muc-off wet and it does have it’s place. It’s for the sort of ride that is wet from the start, not sandy at all and involves a lot of water crossings.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The Plutoline sounds like a good idea but I have a couple of questions . 1 how long does it last and 2 I presume that you have to remove the chain every time you apply it .

eskay

Bookmarked

tjagain

Ramsey – some folk have not found the benefits I have – see science officer above

IME it lasts 100+ dirty mtb miles and 1000 wet road miles

Yes you take the chain off, dunk it in the tin of molten wax, stir it a few times, then hang it over the tine while the excess drops off.  refit chain, run it thru a rag a few times to make sure there is no excess ( cos it stains stuff badly)

After a couple of rides the outside of the chain will look dry – but inside the rollers the wax is still there lubing the chain.  Again IME chain life is hugely extended compared to bicycle lubs and cassette wear greatly reduced and its nice to have a well lubed chain the whole time

The stuff stinks and stains badly if you get it on clothes and is a bit off a faff but for me the fact you do not have to do it very often and the greatly increased chain life make up for it

mrblobby
    Free Member

IME it lasts 100+ dirty mtb miles and 1000 wet road miles

Winter road miles, depending on how crappy the conditions are, I was getting about 700 miles.

cogwomble
    Free Member

Is the putoline like a pre made parafin wax, parafin oil and xyline thinners type affair?

tjagain

I guess so – but with more additives and no solvents

paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member

Edd China says

XCP™ CHAIN LUBRICANT

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Is there a winter lube that doesn’t turn to black gunk?’ is closed to new replies.