Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it worth rebuilding my superstar nano pedals?
  • core

My bike has developed an annoying click which I’m trying to eradicate by process of elimination…

Bottom bracket changed (which was knackered) but that wasn’t it. Bearings and pivots are all good and correctly torqued to my knowledge, so I’ve moved onto the pedals.

2016 Superstar Nano with steel axles, never had any attention, and I’ve noticed some play of late. Upon disassembly it was apparent that the seals haven’t been doing much so the grease was very manky. Axles don’t appear to be worn, and bearings aren’t dead, but when assembled they definitely have play in them, and the shoulder on the axle just doesn’t seem to run nicely against the body at all. The pedals were £30 and a service kit is £15, but I don’t want to bother if they’re just poorly designed. I’ve hardly put many miles on them and they’re needing a rebuild, but by comparison my ancient wellgo dmr copies still spin as smoothly as the day I bought them, and they’ve never been touched, but done probably 10 times the work.

Thoughts?

windysurfer
    Free Member

Yes, its normally just the bush that’s worn which can be bought from eBay etc

bush

submarined
    Free Member

Yup, mine are nearly 4 years old, have had a bearing kit, and are still going strong. Bloody bargains.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes but you may also need a long socket to dismantle them.

They tend to eat bushings quicker then bearings so you don’t need a full service kit every time.

core

Ah, thanks for the link, I’ll try the bushes first. I do have a socket to fit them, just!

trusty

How do you get the old bush out?

dirkpitt74

Have a look at this:

core

Bushes are on their way, hopefully they have the desired effect, and all for £2.50!

Will try and remember to update when I get time to fix them up…

biglee1

Occasionally I unscrew the end cap, pump the pedal full of grease and screw the cap back on. Screwing the cap on pushes the grease down the pedal and the old stuff comes out of the spindle end, can be done while still fitted to the bike 👍😁🚲

submarined
    Free Member

Ah, the ‘v12 service’. Last time I tried that on my Nanos it popped the crack end seals out 🙁

ajaj
    Free Member

Where are you all getting the long, thin socket from? Standard long socket is too wide.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Park tool ST3 is the one I use I think. Didn’t have any joy getting the bushes out though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth rebuilding my superstar nano pedals?’ is closed to new replies.