Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is it possible to adjust Fox Van 180 down to 160mm
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Does any one know is it possible to adjust Fox Van 180 down to 160mm,

Thanks

greeble
    Free Member

Fit some fox travel spacers the same as a float fork. Job done

Jeffus
    Free Member

Oh brilliant , will scoure the web for some 😀

greeble
    Free Member

Ah it seems I was wrong only air forks can have their trvale changed. You’re stuck with 180mm

toppers3933
    Free Member

I’m sure that if you really wanted to do it, there is a way. wouldn’t be a fox part, but anything is possible.

thedude
    Free Member

I have seen a spring cut ground and welded before.

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you can get hold of a 160mm Vanilla spring, you can then put a spacer in along with the new spring to change the travel.

Am I right in saying there’s no 160mm Van any more though?

Jeffus
    Free Member

none on the Mojo web site just 160mm Float and Talas

superfli
    Free Member

Just so happens a mate of mine was asking for 180 forks to replace his 160 Talas today. He is going to message you Jeffus.

stevomcd
    Free Member

none on the Mojo web site just 160mm Float and Talas

Even so, Mojo should still have 160mm springs as spares.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Yes, it’s possible. TFT and Mojo both told me it’s not, but that’s untrue.

I started a thread on mtbr a while back if you want the full low down:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2011-van-180-travel-reduction-using-van-160-spring-709405.html

In short:

The Van 160 spring is 55mm shorter than the 180 spring. This means you can drop the fork down to as little as 125mm (180-55) without cutting the spring, just using spacers.

I set mine to 135mm using a 20mm and 25mm spacer on top of the top out spring on the plunger shaft. A 10mm spacer was needed on top of the main coil to make up the required length (55mm – 45mm travel reduction = 10mm spacer needed, otherwise the main spring will just be rattling around).

tonybaloney
    Free Member

Hi Jeffus,
    I’ve got a pair of 2011 160/120 36 talas in good nick if you’d like to swap. This would be a lot easier than messing around with spring lengths :0)
    Message me if your interested

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks Tony, sorry I’m looking at buying a set of 180mm Vans and reducing travel to 160mm , for a plush coil fork. I have a set of Float 36’s mint on my bike, wanted a taper / kashima set 😀

doof doof great advice many thanks 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to adjust Fox Van 180 down to 160mm’ is closed to new replies.