Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Is everyone filming everything now?
  • chambord
    Free Member

I’m just going to keep going for it. No one has to watch them, though I might occasionally to remind myself of what I’ve done (I’ve not got a very good memory), I’ll just archive them on a HDD somewhere and my children might watch them one day.

We were digging through my grandpa’s old videos the other day (He had one of those massive cameras), and were sat watching a video of him painting a wall whilst his camera was set up on a tripod. We watched for quite a few minutes , quite puzzled, until it dawned on us that he’d “Got us” and we’d been sat watching paint dry. Which would only be funny I suppose if you knew his sense of humour. Anyway it made us all larf it did.

falkirk-mark

It is getting daft. Was at centre parcs recently, and spotted a 3yo in the kiddy pool area wearing a chesty with a go pro blinking away on it… Just plain odd. Who’s going to actually watch this stuff?

Depends on the young mothers in the pool(could be a genius move), send a link and I will let you know 😆

maxtorque

Always makes you laugh when you go to a gig or show, and the vast majority of the audience are watching it on the 3″ screen of their phone whilst filming it! Considering that these days pretty much all gigs and shows are PROFESSIONALLY recorded, and you can buy the DVD later for about £3, why oh why would you ruin the experience by trying to film it (badly) yourself and miss the gig / show as a result??? 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Always makes you laugh when you go to a gig or show, and the vast majority of the audience are watching it on the 3″ screen of their phone whilst filming it! Considering that these days pretty much all gigs and shows are PROFESSIONALLY recorded, and you can buy the DVD later for about £3, why oh why would you ruin the experience by trying to film it (badly) yourself and miss the gig / show as a result???

Where can you buy professionally recorded gig DVDs for £3?

But I agree otherwise.

brooess
    Free Member

Always makes you laugh when you go to a gig or show, and the vast majority of the audience are watching it on the 3″ screen of their phone whilst filming it!

Chipps wrote an intro in the mag quite a few years ago now about actually enjoying the scenery when we’re out riding instead of missing the scenery because we’re looking at it only through a viewfinder…
    Good point that – too busy capturing life for posterity to actually enjoy it in the first place.

scotroutes

I’ve always thought that there is a balance. Looking at the world through a camera lens can help us view it in a way we often don’t, especially sights that have become commonplace to us.

colournoise

scotroutes – Member
    I’ve always thought that there is a balance. Looking at the world through a camera lens can help us view it in a way we often don’t, especially sights that have become commonplace to us.

This.

I take loads of photos/videos (goes with the territory of being an art,media and photography teacher I guess), but always take time to actually look, experience and remember too.

Northwind

mikey74 – Member

I was at a music festival last weekend and there was a fellow in one of the mosh pits wearing a chest-mounted Go Pro. If I didn’t have my glasses on I’d have jumped in the pit and slapped him about a bit

I’ve seen that, I actually thought it was pretty cool. Very rare you really see anything that captures a pit in action, it always looks ridiculous from outside

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I used to carry a camera around when I was out on the bike, to take any decent pics meant you had to get ahead of the others, get sorted and then catch up if you got the good pic. These days I chuck the go pro in/on and record bits of the ride, if there is something good I might stop and film others like this one.
    [video]http://vimeo.com/128714164[/video]

I’m not that bothered about who watches it etc.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t have any beef with people videoing whatever they’re doing – how they interact with the world is up to them and doesn’t affect me.

What is absolutely crucial is the process of editing the material they produce before showing it to me.

The optimum length for a home-produced film of an amateur riding a bike is 15 – 25 seconds. Any longer is more-or-less a war crime.

🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    integerspin
    Free Member

want a phone that just lets you call or text, nothing else at all. are these available?

I have a Samsung 1190.
    I gather they were cheap phones from Tescos. Battery lasts around a month and they don’t have a camera or any other useless[to me] stuff.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@ BigDummy

+1000000.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m on the third year of taking a ‘photo a day’. There’s a few of us on here doing it. I’ve ended up looking at far more things than I ever would have before and as a result now see things I’d have previously missed. How people want to go about their lives is up to them. Unless it’s impacting other people, then what’s the problem?

convert

I’m on the third year of taking a ‘photo a day’. There’s a few of us on here doing it. I’ve ended up looking at far more things than I ever would have before and as a result now see things I’d have previously missed. How people want to go about their lives is up to them. Unless it’s impacting other people, then what’s the problem?

I get this and would consider something similar myself. There is something different about film though. What you do can be relatively unobtrusive to getting on with your life and just enhances observational powers but worthwhile film needs both significant amounts of editing and setup. Just lobbing a chesty/helmet POV is not the same at all to what you are doing and it requires very little thought but has limited reward too. You just have to hope that most of this stuff is set up to record in an opportunist way and ends up deleted if it doesn’t capture a few seconds of something ‘interesting’ .

I’ve got a gopro ‘for work’ along with a DSLR with fluid head tripod and a dolly. I keep meaning to try to do something interesting with it away from work, even if it is just a learning activity but actually living life always seems to get in the way.

kayak23

Folks can film whatever they like on their phones, but I just wish they would stop doing it vertically!…
    🙄

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eYLL7-rUGPY[/video]

zippykona

We sell those much derided internet password books.
    They are brilliant . You don’t actually need to write down all the password just a bit or a hint.
    How many people know the user name and password of their electricity account?
    Ps the wording on the front is just a label that comes off.

slowoldman

I heard that on the internet there are even videos of people making the beast with two backs

Don’t be daft. Who would want to watch that?

D0NK

The odd times I take pictures I do end up spending more time looking at the scenery than I would, time is at a premium these days so it’s normally head down and get the miles in (more miles = more downhills too – it’s not all work work work). Purposefully looking at the world around you can be good too.

This has got to be a wind-up though??

the vast majority of your passwords are to prevent someone on the other side for the world hacking your account, having them written down on a piece of paper is actually not a bad idea – unless you don’t trust the people you live with. Password.txt on your PC probably isn’t very secure tho, or, as I’ve witnessed, etching the encryption password for your laptop onto the case of your laptop.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzqUsGMHE0[/video]

Its already here. It has happened. Deal with it.

tongue in cheek. It sort of reminds me of Iain M Banks where many characters had drones that ‘looked after them’.

mefty
    Free Member

On a pedantic note, I think you will find that Stockbridge, Hampshire describes itself as a town, not a village.

haroldfinch
    Free Member

I think it depends where you are. Running around the suburbs might create a good video but if you were somewhere with a great view then it’s be better.

With the new developments like Microsoft’s hyperlapse efforts, you can make a mundane “suburbs run” look a lot better.

I blame social media! But then that makes me think of this video.

LoCo
    Free Member

Since we moved have stopped, filming, pics & strava ing.

It’s just nice to ride the bike. Don’t really have time to look at stats, review film etc afterwards anyway (my stuff was always boring footage & embarrassing sector times anyway 😉 )

Team stuff & trips we’ll usually have someone whose far better at filming than me anyway & can actually edit stuff properly too 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

I think you’re making the assumption that the location visited on Saturday (Stockbridge) is the same location as visited on Sunday (the village).

I believe your assumption might be incorrect.

binners
    mefty
    Free Member

I believe your assumption might be incorrect.

Indubitably

squirrelking
    Free Member

Though you could just dig out an old Nokia. A 3310 likely still works and bet the battery still has enough charge to last three weeks. Though it does come with Snake so that makes it a bit more than just a phone

My missus has recently had to go back to a 3330 (aka the Punishment Brick) after her phone decided to go crazy.

How many people know the user name and password of their electricity account?

I do.

One of my bank accounts, on the other hand, I have no idea. Due to the fact it’s Santander and they give you an arbitrary number as a user name that is inevitably going to be written down somewhere.

footflaps

Due to the fact it’s Santander and they give you an arbitrary number as a user name that is inevitably going to be written down somewhere.

I really like it when they do that, much more secure and no one is going to guess it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EE have launched a live streaming camera, complete with monitor watch.

Will cost you £5 to ‘broadcast’ an hour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At FW last weekend, GoPro on a selfie stick seemed to be the weapon of choice.

hooli

It does seem to be a sign of the times. CCTV, dash cams, go-pros and mobile phone footage.

I quite like taking photos of scenery, interesting things and people for memories but not a bit interested at looking at myself mincing around on a bike.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

we’re all doomed.. I’m investing in those new no video signs outside toilets , changing rooms and toys r us http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/out-and-about/4gee-action-cam
    [video]https://youtu.be/1uOmBnGjZ0E[/video]

RepackRider
    Free Member

A couple of things the video revolution has revealed.

First, there are no UFOs. The meteor over Russia a few years ago was caught on hundreds of video cameras, even though it only took a few seconds, and no one was looking for it. If UFOs were up there, you would have hundreds of YouTube videos of them.

Second, the people who claimed that police beat the snot out of them before video was everywhere were probably not lying.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When you go to the game and wear your GoPro…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po5Umj_w5EQ[/video]

CountZero

Always makes you laugh when you go to a gig or show, and the vast majority of the audience are watching it on the 3″ screen of their phone whilst filming it! Considering that these days pretty much all gigs and shows are PROFESSIONALLY recorded, and you can buy the DVD later for about £3, why oh why would you ruin the experience by trying to film it (badly) yourself and miss the gig / show as a result???

Not that I’ve noticed. Some are recorded for possible live album release, and I think some bands might use live footage for promotion, and later DVD release, but those are major bands at large venues. Arcade Fire had cameras all over the stage at their Earl’s Court gig a while back, but I’m pretty certain that was for on-stage live projection.
    Probably the only gig I’ve been to in recent years that was filmed for possible DVD/Blueray release was Kate Bush.
    I very much doubt that any gig I’ve been to in venues smaller than 1000 capacity were filmed.
    Which is probably why so many people are filming gigs. And so many hunt for footage on YouTube…
    I really can’t be arsed, personally, to stand there holding my phone still for five or ten minutes shooting video. Did it once at a Dinosaur Jr gig, and I think I watched the film once, whereas I’ve gone back to the photos quite a few times.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cheesy, he caught it barehanded! Without a glove! Must be superhuman!

😉

DezB
    Free Member

Always makes you laugh when you go to a gig or show, and the vast majority of the audience are watching it on the 3″ screen of their phone whilst filming it!

They film it to stick shitty little clips on youtube, because these days it’s FAR more important to tell people you were there that to actually be there.

Considering that these days pretty much all gigs and shows are PROFESSIONALLY recorded, and you can buy the DVD later for about £3

That bit you’ve got very wrong.

why oh why would you ruin the experience by trying to film it (badly) yourself and miss the gig / show as a result???

Totally agree with that. It’s pathetic.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Most gigs I’ve been to have some professional cameras about but nothing turned up for official released footage. Been to some two days in a row and same gear there, clearly being used but footage released was only from one of the days, not even mixed up between the best of the two.

Some bands are quite encouraging of fan bootleg footage and even support bootleg video sites. That said a lot of the studios don’t feel the same way as their bands.

Have seen stuff about bands making one or two songs video friendly and then insist everyone puts the stuff away for the rest.

Have to say though while I like having the odd memento myself of an event, I’m not really interested in videos of it, free or otherwise, even if I was there.

Not that I am a huge gig goer, rare these days, but if I go I’ll do photos of the atmosphere and odd few of something interesting during songs, maybe a short video clip also, but mostly keep the phone/camera in the pocket. Being a short-arse though it is frustrating trying to watch over the people in front holding up cameras. Well, not that short, but not average height these days.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Meanwhile in the good ‘ol U S of A….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKtOvFpEhIM[/video]

😯

aracer
    Free Member

That’s awful. You’d think people would know better. I hate it when people film in portrait.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Is everyone filming everything now?’ is closed to new replies.